corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Are you a homeowner?

Poll: Are you a homeowner?
  Yes
  No
  No but I rent/lodge

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Are you a homeowner?
Paul_J

User status: Offline
2nd Feb 10 at 15:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thing is also, can you guarentee / rely on house prices ALWAYS climbing?

... e.g. 10 years ago, you could buy a flat for nothing and 10 years later sell it on for a lot more money.

If you buy an expensive flat now, will it have definately gained value in 10 years time or will there be a time when these drop in value?
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

2nd Feb 10 at 15:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they shouldnt always climb surely, theres a financial cycle?

house prices climbing only really works if all our wages climb too.
Ojc

2nd Feb 10 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The whole banking crisis was caused by twats taking 120% mortgages on stupid income stretches on houses they couldn't afford.

You have people living in 250k houses that were worth that in 2007 that are now worth 190k but have mortgages for 270k and are going no where fast.

Dumb arses.
Fad

2nd Feb 10 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
P.S. most people I know down south who are my age and have houses, have all had inheritance from dead relatives...

That's how every single one of them have got their deposit and on the ladder.

I think it's extremely hard in todays age to save up and move into a house, even more difficult if you choose to move out and rent until you can.

Northerners I'm not talking about you with your 70k houses

Paul, this is exactly what me and Rach were talking about at the weekend. We sat down working out how much we will save this year and were questioning how everyone else had managed to move out well before us then it clicked, most of them had inheritence or parents that had chipped in as they had recieved inheritence. It's a shit excuse sometimes as we do spend a fair bit but then if you are given a headstart it doesn't half make a difference to saving.

I think we all have something in common here and thats our hobbies i.e cars costs us more than the average person. I bet half of the people who are on the ladder are not bothered by servicing intervals and tuning their cars.

I have quite a few mates who have gotten on the ladder themselves without help from parents. They managed it by saving etc and thats with children also which shows anything is possible. The main trend in this is that they dont have any interest in cars and expensive holidays.

I bet if you drove around in a hum drum car for a couple of years and paid silly cheap insurance and tax you'd be suprised how much money you had in your bank account.

Saying that though You have a couple of assets (the Burg) which you could use if you really wanted to get onto the ladder. There is always an element of sacrifice needed IMO

Half Pint

2nd Feb 10 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ollie will sack the mrs before the burg....

acutally Ollie i have a money making idea which involves Rach... give me a buzz
GF-91
Banned

2nd Feb 10 at 15:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No. None.
Conway563

2nd Feb 10 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad
I think we all have something in common here and thats our hobbies i.e cars costs us more than the average person. I bet half of the people who are on the ladder are not bothered by servicing intervals and tuning their cars.

I have quite a few mates who have gotten on the ladder themselves without help from parents. They managed it by saving etc and thats with children also which shows anything is possible. The main trend in this is that they dont have any interest in cars and expensive holidays.

I bet if you drove around in a hum drum car for a couple of years and paid silly cheap insurance and tax you'd be suprised how much money you had in your bank account.

Saying that though You have a couple of assets (the Burg) which you could use if you really wanted to get onto the ladder. There is always an element of sacrifice needed IMO

This is what I'm hoping for
Paul_J

2nd Feb 10 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay

Exactly, that's my opinion - it can't climb forever...
Although if inflation keeps rising and wages keep rising, then it can all go up together.

If the country was still 'booming' - then yeh sure maybe we'd have many years of the house prices going up ahead, but the reality is, our country is screwed... we've got crippling debt, very few services / trades left. We're already quite overpaid as a workforce compared to some countries and the cost of living is very high.

... in theory house prices will eventually fall, simply because people won't be able to afford any.
Ojc

2nd Feb 10 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad
quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
quote:
P.S. most people I know down south who are my age and have houses, have all had inheritance from dead relatives...

I think it's extremely hard in todays age to save up and move into a house, even more difficult if you choose to move out and rent until you can.

Paul, this is exactly what me and Rach were talking about at the weekend. We sat down working out how much we will save this year and were questioning how everyone else had managed to move out well before us then it clicked, most of them had inheritence or parents that had chipped in as they had recieved inheritence. It's a shit excuse sometimes as we do spend a fair bit but then if you are given a headstart it doesn't half make a difference to saving.

I offered to sell the car last time we wanted to do it, but like Rachel points out we worked hard and paid hard for this and to sell it shortly after paying for it would have been stupid.

We will do it, but it takes time now that the easy route that many people took a few years ago is no longer avaliable to anyone.
willay
Premium Member

2nd Feb 10 at 15:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fad is right, think of the money saved if I didnt like cars.
willay
Premium Member

2nd Feb 10 at 16:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by willay

Exactly, that's my opinion - it can't climb forever...
Although if inflation keeps rising and wages keep rising, then it can all go up together.

If the country was still 'booming' - then yeh sure maybe we'd have many years of the house prices going up ahead, but the reality is, our country is screwed... we've got crippling debt, very few services / trades left. We're already quite overpaid as a workforce compared to some countries and the cost of living is very high.

... in theory house prices will eventually fall, simply because people won't be able to afford any.

I agree, and I hope they do fall but hope is all we have.
Neo

2nd Feb 10 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With buying its Death or Glory tbh. Always going to be a risk in the current financial climate.
Ojc

2nd Feb 10 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another point is that the Astra isn't used everyday, a hum drum car and a scooter is used to commute.

I don't want this thread about me anyway.

Some people have it easier than others, some people are more dedicated than others to saving.

Everyones time will come eventually.
Paul_J

2nd Feb 10 at 16:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad
quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
quote:

Although this is true, and why I'm consderably poorer than I should be. I also find these people who have no real passion / hobbies in life and therefore save all their money and do nothing, are also the people who have under achieved in life and have a shit job paying them pennies.

It is true though that probably my highest out goings is the car.

e.g.
Insurance,
Tax,
Fuel,
Repairs,
Mods
+ Purchase Price.

--- This would completely overshadow the amount I spend on say,

Rent, Council Tax,
Food,
Clothes (Still wearing same shit since i was 18 rofl )
etc.

So it is true, if I didn't have a car and didn't commute - I would be a lot richer...

However, I'd probably have an obsession with clothes or something stupid and be walking around in £200 jeans and having my hair styled for £150 a month, along with fake tan top ups

... or not.
Half Pint

2nd Feb 10 at 16:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i know that we've (me and the mrs) paid over ££45k less than the couple across the road from us, house appears to be identical but they purchased some 12- 15 months prior (boom / just before bust) and highlights the drop seen, this can only plateau or fall further before any recovery.

historys tells us there will be a recovery but i don't think we'll see the vast creep in prices that happened during the last decade.

me and the mrs are prepared to sit tight and make this house pay / last until a time that suits our budget to move and increase or decrease in size.

we have room to build the property to meet any family needs to it should be a sound investment, the only problem is if the area degrades.
Fad

2nd Feb 10 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Tony is right, it will hit a plateau and we wont see the market rise like it did before.

Constraints put on lenders on the risks they can take on the publics money will govern this and successive governments will do their best to learn from the last disaster.

Unfortunately as a consequence first time buyers will find it hard and will be forced to save to get on the ladder which I personally think is a good thing
Daimo B

2nd Feb 10 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been lucky, my house value went up, then the recession hit. It went down, but not quite to what we paid for it.

Now, god knows, tbh the more I looked into it, the more I worry, so don't look and don't worry

Only difference between Tony and me, is that we've bought our house to stay in. It was a family house for 25 years, and tbh, I can't see us moving out for a looooooooong time yet, there simply isn't a need.

Got everything we need around us, nice garage. Just the house needs some modernisation, which will come eventually.....

After the wedding.
After D5 is put back together
After blah blah...

Dammit never a good time
Ojc

2nd Feb 10 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Give us a kiss.

Donna Benton
Daimo B

2nd Feb 10 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Two DB's.

Double DB's
Ojc

2nd Feb 10 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have the invites been sent as mine hasn't come through the post? Must be a delay the post office eh?

Is Ian getting an invite? Bring along the campervan as an operational nerve centre for wedding planning.
Half Pint

2nd Feb 10 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Double D's

Daimo,

we are acutally probably the same as you the house in its current form is too small but after some investment it will be a good size 3 bed house to support / raise a family and i cannot see us needing or wanting to move.

especially with the costs associated within moving which are just sunk costs it makes sense to keep moves to a minimum and when we go to a one person income i need to be able to sustain the house hold.

Daimo B

2nd Feb 10 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Camper van....?

At a castle???

I think Donna would do her nut in. Im not even inviting some of my dole scrounging pikey family Snob snob ya ya what?

Cumcumber sandwiches what what..
Half Pint

2nd Feb 10 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think we should have the corsasport stag party at PVS......
Fad

2nd Feb 10 at 16:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Half Pint
Double D's

Daimo,

we are acutally probably the same as you the house in its current form is too small but after some investment it will be a good size 3 bed house to support / raise a family and i cannot see us needing or wanting to move.

especially with the costs associated within moving which are just sunk costs it makes sense to keep moves to a minimum and when we go to a one person income i need to be able to sustain the house hold.

What did you end up buying Monkeh?
Half Pint

2nd Feb 10 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
Camper van....?

At a castle???

I think Donna would do her nut in. Im not even inviting some of my dole scrounging pikey family Snob snob ya ya what?

Cumcumber sandwiches what what..

we are considering pissing off aborad for the exact reason as to whom to invite to the wedding but the party when we get back will be epic!

and you'll all be invited.. well those of you know who you are!

<<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Are you a homeowner? 22 database queries in 0.0209510 seconds