corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Why do "detailers" take paint depth measurements?

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Why do "detailers" take paint depth measurements?
AndyKent

User status: Offline
23rd Mar 10 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whether or not the guage measures the individual layers hardly matters does it? Someone who is cleaning cars all the time will know the common make up of the types of paint, they might only take an overall reading to make sure its the same as average.

ie. if most Fords have a thickness of 50 whatevers, and they take a reading on a car with 20, they know something is wrong. Likewise if they read 200 its been badly resprayed.

So long as the reading comes out at about normal they know its likely to be the same as all the other Fords (or whatever make).
DaveyLC

23rd Mar 10 at 13:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Used by the guy in the Bentley post:

http://www.defelsko.com/p6000/positector6000.htm

Maybe I'm not reading it properly but I cant see anything about measuring multiple layers?

So what he's done there is buy a product that is useless to the application and then show off said product to customers..

Nice

DaveyLC

23rd Mar 10 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
Whether or not the guage measures the individual layers hardly matters does it? Someone who is cleaning cars all the time will know the common make up of the types of paint, they might only take an overall reading to make sure its the same as average.

ie. if most Fords have a thickness of 50 whatevers, and they take a reading on a car with 20, they know something is wrong. Likewise if they read 200 its been badly resprayed.

So long as the reading comes out at about normal they know its likely to be the same as all the other Fords (or whatever make).

Ofcourse it matters, it matters more than anything else! The distribution of the layers over the gross thickness means the difference between the clear coat being 1 to 90% of the whole thickness, I personally wouldnt consider +/- "90%" accuracy to be very good
Nic Barnes

23rd Mar 10 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i understand what john says about not wanting to cause damage. Makes sense.
AndyKent

23rd Mar 10 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
quote:

Ofcourse it matters, it matters more than anything else! The distribution of the layers over the gross thickness means the difference between the clear coat being 1 to 90% of the whole thickness, I personally wouldnt consider +/- "90%" accuracy to be very good

But if in the past they've worked on say 30 or 40 cars of the same type, all they'll need to know is whether the thickness is within a 'normal' range.

On something unusual or exotic I agree, they do need to know the layer thicknesses, but on 80% of the cars they work on its just over the top.
DaveyLC

23rd Mar 10 at 13:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

But if in the past they've worked on say 30 or 40 cars of the same type, all they'll need to know is whether the thickness is within a 'normal' range.

On something unusual or exotic I agree, they do need to know the layer thicknesses, but on 80% of the cars they work on its just over the top.

When you machine polish a car the idea is that you dont go through the clear coat, so how does knowing the thickness of ALL of the paint help?
AndyKent

23rd Mar 10 at 13:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Because using your past experience you will know that you can take off a certain amount of clear coat and still leave loads behind. If you fully measured out the paint thicknesses on every car you worked on it would take forever and most of the time you'd end up with very similar readings = waste of time.
DaveyLC

23rd Mar 10 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Because using your past experience you will know that you can take off a certain amount of clear coat and still leave loads behind. If you fully measured out the paint thicknesses on every car you worked on it would take forever and most of the time you'd end up with very similar readings = waste of time.

But you dont know how much of that thickness is the clear coat..
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Mar 10 at 14:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

really you dont need a paint depth measurer, you need a clearcoat depth measurer because thats all your really interested in how thick it is
AndyKent

23rd Mar 10 at 14:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you've been doing it a while and measured the thicknesses (fully) on the first few cars of that type you will know.

After that you just assume they're all similar unless you take an overall reading which looks well off.
DaveyLC

23rd Mar 10 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
If you've been doing it a while and measured the thicknesses (fully) on the first few cars of that type you will know.

After that you just assume they're all similar unless you take an overall reading which looks well off.

In that case the factory can tell you what the average thickness is so why bother measuring?
Scotty_B

23rd Mar 10 at 14:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Both of the drivers side doors where re-sprayed on my Focus so I doubt the 'thickness' will be the same as the original paint now.

Assumption is the mother of all fuckups.

[Edited on 23-03-2010 by Scotty_B]
chr15barn3s

23rd Mar 10 at 14:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.shineondetail.com/Products

Click the picture of the paint guage and read the description.
AndyKent

23rd Mar 10 at 14:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Scotty_B
quote:

After that you just assume they're all similar unless you take an overall reading which looks well off

Both of the drivers side doors where re-sprayed on my Focus so I doubt the 'thickness' will be the same as the original paint now.

Assumption is the mother of all fuckups.

[Edited on 23-03-2010 by Scotty_B]
Root

23rd Mar 10 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

In that case the factory can tell you what the average thickness is so why bother measuring?

in case it's been repaired along the way in which case you need to be extra careful when detailing that area in case it's quite thin.
DaveyLC

23rd Mar 10 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But if its been repaired its likely to be a damn sight thicker than factory?
3CorsaMeal

23rd Mar 10 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had a pro measure paint depths on my car with one of those meters, trouble is the thickest reading was where the car had been repaired/painted before, but that area actually seemed to have the thinnest clearcoat/laquer layer
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Mar 10 at 15:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

surely all you are interested in is how thick the clearcoat is, because thats all you want to alter, if you take this totally off then you are in trouble anyway.

so unless the paint depth readers can specifically tell you the depth of just the clearcoat then i cant see what use the reading is

[Edited on 23-03-2010 by Steve]
John

23rd Mar 10 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have you missed the bit we found out that they can tell you how thick the clearcoat is Steve?
Ojc

23rd Mar 10 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You ought to get one of those paint readers on your door repair mate.
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Mar 10 at 15:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes i did see that, but it only says sometimes it can tell and none of the instruments iv seen posted actually have 3 seperate breakdowns for the layers.
micra_pete
Premium Member

23rd Mar 10 at 15:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
surely all you are interested in is how thick the clearcoat is, because thats all you want to alter, if you take this totally off then you are in trouble anyway.

so unless the paint depth readers can specifically tell you the depth of just the clearcoat then i cant see what use the reading is

Steve, as in Steve?

How long have you been back?
Steve
Premium Member

23rd Mar 10 at 15:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
You ought to get one of those paint readers on your door repair mate.

i bet its about an inch thick with hammerite
3CorsaMeal

23rd Mar 10 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve

thats how i feel about it all.

just polish away, if it buggers up then you need it painted. Easy
Root

23rd Mar 10 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
But if its been repaired its likely to be a damn sight thicker than factory?

No, because you don't know to what level it has been repaired. It might have been a bodge job that the previous owner did and he's only applied one layer of paint and one layer of lacquer, so you take the depth measurements to be careful not to cut into the lacquer

<<  2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Why do "detailers" take paint depth measurements? 22 database queries in 0.0169370 seconds