corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Who still lives at home?

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Who still lives at home?
Daimo B

User status: Offline
27th Jul 10 at 08:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
Also, as Ian said, when somethign breaks - one call and the landlord fixes it such as the partially damaged ceilign where upstairs dickhead fell asleep with the taps running

Yeah but im my own house, i don't have a d**khead living upstairs who would leave the tap on.

And anyway, house insurance covers anything the landlord would need to fix. Only difference is you need to make the call, but if it was serious you'd be at home anyway.

I can see positives and negs for both situations. In reality, the situation is best for the person at the time. I personnally wished i'd got on the property 2-3 years earlier and saved another fortune, but now at least my mortgage is coming down whilst the house value goes up

My best friend has just moved back to his mum and dads at 29 so he can start saving for his own house. Been renting with friends for the last 8 years odd. Hampered by a new motorcycle purchase

House wise though, it does bring worries being your own property, that you might not care about so much in a rented place. But i guess thats the difference between a rented place and an actual home.
Robbo

27th Jul 10 at 08:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
The thought of 'being 35' seems old, but the reality is everyone I know who is 35 is still fairly young (seems it in comparison) and I can imagine being 35 feeling similar to how I do now.
i think youre right there. im nearly 29 now and am not much different to people i know who are either 25 or 35
Demo

27th Jul 10 at 08:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
I don't want to end up like the guy who lives in the flat above me, 35 years old renting and still no where near a decent deposit.
Don't rule this out - he'll be riding out fluctuations in the property market and if anything breaks, he phones someone and they fix it. He knows how much its going to cost every single month to walk around the same four walls, eat and sleep in the same kitchen and bedroom as the guy who bought it, except that guy is tied in to a mortgage, paying interest, watching rate changes, paid legal fees to buy it and will pay legal fees to sell it. In truth, guy upstairs is probably laughing compared to anyone who bought over the past few years (and few years to come).

ian makes a damn good point

for some reason in this country we are hung up about owning our own property. theres plenty of other places in the world where renting is the common practice

i would have quite happily rented but was lucky enough to be helped towards a deposit. i personally dont see the snob factor involved with owning over renting
3CorsaMeal

27th Jul 10 at 08:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we have clients who buy multi million pound houses from us, but we also have known some "well off" clients with families etc who rent these house instead of buy them, £3500 a month one chap is paying in rent
JadeM
Premium Member

27th Jul 10 at 09:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Moved out of mum and dads ot stay with Colin when I was 19. We bought our 1st house together when I was 20. I couldn't have afforded to do it without Colin. He had his flat to sell, and the money from that went towards our deposit. The best thing we ever did, we love it. It's great having our own place
Paul_J

27th Jul 10 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
quote:
The thought of 'being 35' seems old, but the reality is everyone I know who is 35 is still fairly young (seems it in comparison) and I can imagine being 35 feeling similar to how I do now.
i think youre right there. im nearly 29 now and am not much different to people i know who are either 25 or 35

Yeah mate, I no longer think of 29-30 as old at all. I think you start to shift to a different age bracket generally...

e.g. 18-24 is one age bracket... Then 25-35 ... then 35+

Everyone in the 25-35 bracket will basically look and act similar in my opinion. Therefore, I'm quite happy that I'm a 'youngster' in that bracket, e.g. at work I'm the youngest in the company.

However, I then meet up with some mates who are generally 19-25 and I feel really really OLD.

I do agree with a few people on here, there's no requirement to get a house. To be honest, I'd be happy in just a studio flat as long as it had parking.

The key reason I feel the desire for the house is not for bragging rights, but for security - knowing that if the market rises again I won't be left behind. If there was more opportunity to make money from your money, then I'd not worry about buying at all and would just invest the money for the deposit into something else (however at the moment the returns are small / risky).
Laura

27th Jul 10 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Moved out at 23. Didn't waste money renting. Wanted to be mortgage free before I got old.
RichR
Premium Member

27th Jul 10 at 09:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have my own house but as it's been renovated I still go home to Mum and Dad's 2/3 nights a week. Since splitting up with the missus a couple of months ago, I spend more time at the house than ever before - paying the mortgage by myself makes me want to make the most of the expenditure!!! The upstairs is 90% finished with only furnishing the main bedroom and a few small jobs left to do. The office, bathroom and 2nd bedroom are all finished - just the downstairs which is like a building site; which is why I spend a couple of nights at Mum and Dad's with the benefit of downstair's lighting,working log burners, Internet, food in the fridge, washing machine, tumble drier and ironing board

When I was with the missus we spent 2/3 nights a week at her Mum's; 2/3 night's a week at my parents, couple of nights at the house and the occasional night at a hotel which she runs. It was a nightmare to be honest, so hard to try and live between 4 places and having to plan clothes etc out for 4/5 days at a time and always have a bag in the boot of the car incase.

I'm still glad i got on the ladder when I did though!
Colin

27th Jul 10 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you want a house in your 20's on a less than extravagant salary then you need to be prepared to make sacrifices, lower your sights, & scrimp & make do for a number of years.

Thats how I done it & many others as well!!
JadeM
Premium Member

27th Jul 10 at 10:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I agree about the clothes thing There wasn't enough space in Colins flat for my clothes, and I'm the most disorganised person EVER! I lost count of how many times I would get up in the morning and have no clean clothes for work. I'd have to run out to the car in my P.J's and drive up to mums to get changed before heading to work. God knows what the neighbours used to think of us
RichR
Premium Member

27th Jul 10 at 10:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I hated it, you'd always find you'd forgotten something or if we had a meeting at work called at the last minute, it would always be the day after I was stopping at the house which youI didn't have my suit at or my suit would be in one house, my shoes at another and my belts at another - was a nightmare
Colin

27th Jul 10 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
I have my own house but as it's been renovated I still go home to Mum and Dad's 2/3 nights a week. Since splitting up with the missus a couple of months ago, I spend more time at the house than ever before - paying the mortgage by myself makes me want to make the most of the expenditure!!! The upstairs is 90% finished with only furnishing the main bedroom and a few small jobs left to do. The office, bathroom and 2nd bedroom are all finished - just the downstairs which is like a building site; which is why I spend a couple of nights at Mum and Dad's with the benefit of downstair's lighting,working log burners, Internet, food in the fridge, washing machine, tumble drier and ironing board

When I was with the missus we spent 2/3 nights a week at her Mum's; 2/3 night's a week at my parents, couple of nights at the house and the occasional night at a hotel which she runs. It was a nightmare to be honest, so hard to try and live between 4 places and having to plan clothes etc out for 4/5 days at a time and always have a bag in the boot of the car incase.

I'm still glad i got on the ladder when I did though!

See to me thats all wrong!!

When we came on here we were on a mattress in the spare room for the 1st week surrounded by furniture, It was December, we were entering a 5 week freeze, didnt have floor coverings in many of the rooms, but you know what, it was excellent. Had quite a laugh & just loved being together in our own house whatever stare it was in!!

Done the same in my flat, used to come home from a night out & start power sanding the walls & trying to paint & shit
RichR
Premium Member

27th Jul 10 at 10:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd have loved it, I have no problems staying anywhere so long as there's a toielt and a kettle, never mixing the 2 up.

in my defence we had no bathroom, kitchen, walls, ceilings or floors for 6 months

But after the plastering was done and especially when the upstairs was enaring being done, I started to want to spend more time there as it was my/our space.

if I'm being honest, I think me wanting to move in asap is what split us up ulitmately; Upstairs was done, downstairs not so but it was workable; but she didn't want to leave the hoem comforts or her Mum's apron strings even though she's nearly 28! She didn't want to grow up!

[Edited on 27-07-2010 by LiVe LeE]
Colin

27th Jul 10 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JadeM
I agree about the clothes thing There wasn't enough space in Colins flat for my clothes, and I'm the most disorganised person EVER! I lost count of how many times I would get up in the morning and have no clean clothes for work. I'd have to run out to the car in my P.J's and drive up to mums to get changed before heading to work. God knows what the neighbours used to think of us

Not a problem now you've got a 14ft x9ft dressing room
Adam_B

27th Jul 10 at 10:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When i decided to go back to uni 2 years ago it was either find accomodation or commute in possibly the most ridiculous student car ever, especially on an arts course. Im happy with my descission!
Colin

27th Jul 10 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'd have loved it, I have no problems staying anywhere so long as there's a toielt and a kettle, never mixing the 2 up.

in my defence we had no bathroom, kitchen, walls, ceilings or floors for 6 months

But after the plastering was done and especially when the upstairs was enaring being done, I started to want to spend more time there as it was my/our space.

if I'm being honest, I think me wanting to move in asap is what split us up ulitmately; Upstairs was done, downstairs not so but it was workable; but she didn't want to leave the hoem comforts or her Mum's apron strings even though she's nearly 28! She didn't want to grow up!

[Edited on 27-07-2010 by LiVe LeE]

I had no toilet for a while in the flat aswell & the kitchen was ripped out for a bit so you could say no kettle!!

i think a lot of mothers have a lot to answer for with regards to people not wanting to fly the nest!! I mean living at home when your 30 just sounds so so shit to me. unless you have a massive house where you can stay in the west wing all to yourself & rarely have parental contact I just see no appeal.
Daimo B

27th Jul 10 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I remember when we moved in.

No chairs, no sofas, got a curry, ate it off a plate on the floor. No TV, no cupboards, nothing.

Damn it seems so long ago now.
Colin

27th Jul 10 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Daimo B
I remember when we moved in.

No chairs, no sofas, got a curry, ate it off a plate on the floor. No TV, no cupboards, nothing.

Damn it seems so long ago now.

Memories - you cant buy them!!!
Colin

27th Jul 10 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even 7 months on were not totally finished in here, the main bathrooms still not got a floor covering because ive got it into my head that im going to rip everything out start over so theres no point in putting tiles down! Ive just not got money allocated to this project yet so it will just have to wait!!
Tom

27th Jul 10 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
When I was with the missus we spent 2/3 nights a week at her Mum's; 2/3 night's a week at my parents, couple of nights at the house. It was a nightmare to be honest, so hard to try and live between 4 places and having to plan clothes etc out for 4/5 days at a time and always have a bag in the boot of the car incase.

That's my life at the moment, but it's probably not as bad as we only live 5 miles apart and we tend to stay at mine for a night, then at hers for 2 nights etc but it's still a bit of a nightmare with the clothes thing, her mum is awesome though and is permo doing my washing and stuff for me, but I can't wait until we have our proper own space

Robbo

27th Jul 10 at 10:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah my ex and i did that a lot, esp during the week as she lives very close to work - always had to remember to pack all clothes for the next day etc - nightmare! countless times she or her mum washed all my clothes cos we decided last minute to spend the night at hers lol
Lawrah
Premium Member

27th Jul 10 at 10:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
quote:
Originally posted by Lawrah
24, lived with mum for about a year now.. pay 150 a month.. prob move out if I settle down with someone.

but you look so much older

That stops being a compliment once they're over 16 mate

Yeah and I really dont think I do..
Lawrah
Premium Member

27th Jul 10 at 10:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Colin out of interest, did you buy your last flat? or mortgage or what?
Colin

27th Jul 10 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mortgage. It was a shithole run down ex-council flat that most folk would turn their nose up to but im thankfull of it in more ways than 1!
Daimo B

27th Jul 10 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Memories - you cant buy them!!!

And at the time of "smoking" it so happen to be a dry time and no-one had any, so we moved into our new home, and had no stuff to smoke. That sucked

But what an exciting time, opening the new bought items boxes, deciding where to put everything. You get the same in a rented place, but its just not "yours" so you loose some of the excitment.

<<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Who still lives at home? 22 database queries in 0.1642730 seconds