corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » University Protesting

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author University Protesting
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

User status: Offline
24th Nov 10 at 22:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can only speak from what I know, and people I know and have actually discussed uni with I know my cousins who both worked hard and are reaping the rewards and tuition fees wouldn't have stopped them and I know 4 or 5 people who work at the local Morrisons who have the same job after going through years of higher education that they weren't really motivated about and 3 have admitted to me that it was a waste but they did it because it's what was expected, so with tuition fees maybe it'd actually make these people think maybe uni isn't such a great idea if I don't know what I want to go there for.

Even if it is a minority that are like this, at least it should cut that minority down because they're most likely the people that get students a bad name by protesting about things because 'it's a laugh' rather than them actually being bothered about what they're protesting against and the various other things they do to make themselves look bad
G5M

24th Nov 10 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
What on earth does a degree in History get you?

Both Fiona and I are Uni educated. It does make a difference.

I'm doing another uni degree at the moment but paying for this one I have BSc Computer Science and doing BEng Engineering.

Fiona has a law degree and masters in oil and gas law.

I think university is worthwhile, but do agree with Steve that 'some' folk and course are just a joke. They are just delaying their lives

Example I gave previously. I did 5yrs of Engineering and went off to work in engineering. Said girl did 3yrs of English and moved to NZ to work as an ambulance woman.
Fad

24th Nov 10 at 22:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
yes fad they most definately are under that impression

well most of them i have witnessed are

Not really thats just your perception you just seem to have a chip on your shoulder about it tbh.

I actually went to uni with people and so did most of my friends from school. None of us were under this impression. We have all worked hard to get where we are now hence why we had no money throughout our early 20's its only now it is starting to pay off.

I obviously can't talk about your area but I asume you dont frequent with many graduates hence why you have such bitter views.
Fad

24th Nov 10 at 22:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon
I'm in my sixth year of uni

Your not an Achitect in the making are you
Steve
Premium Member

24th Nov 10 at 22:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i went to uni for around 6 months saw plenty of the idiots

maybe yours was a proper course not populated by the general idiocy

[Edited on 24-11-2010 by Steve]
Paul_J

24th Nov 10 at 22:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
they are fucking cunts, think they run the country, havent got a clue.

Paul_J is a good example of these idiots

1st class mate... Awarded best student 2008.

Now in a well paid job paying my taxes and having large deductions taken from my pay to cover the cost of the student loan.

I'm a bad example of the 'waster' student
Steve
Premium Member

24th Nov 10 at 22:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lolz
Fad

24th Nov 10 at 22:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mike B
Even if it is a minority that are like this, at least it should cut that minority down because they're most likely the people that get students a bad name by protesting about things because 'it's a laugh' rather than them actually being bothered about what they're protesting against and the various other things they do to make themselves look bad

They should be targeting benefit frauds and work shy folk rather than discouraging the future leaders/entrapeneurs/builders/Doctors/Nurses etc of this country.
Simon

24th Nov 10 at 22:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad
quote:

Getting there slowly
Fad

24th Nov 10 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
i went to uni for around 6 months saw plenty of the idiots

maybe yours was a proper course not populated by the general idiocy

[Edited on 24-11-2010 by Steve]

Dont get me wrong people do some pretty bizzare stuff like English lit with American Studies etc

Talking of bizzare courses

One friend of mine did English with American film studies, followed into a jounralism masters and now he writes for the Guardian. Another one of my friends did History, he now works as a Surveyor for English Herriatage saving and preserving our important buildings. Another did Media Studies and she worked in Radio for a couple of years and now she works on a Bloomburg set earning more than the lot of us!

It just shows sometimes a Degree(whether it be a pony one in your eyes) can lead to other things as it did for me as I am now doing something non specfic to my original degree. Its not always a waste of time even if you do something that is of interest to you.
Fad

24th Nov 10 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Fad
quote:

Getting there slowly

Keep going mate its very rewarding from what I can see
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
24th Nov 10 at 22:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even on any single degree course there will be people who will do things with it and those who won't. I'm not really although I'm too content and comfortable to do anything about it.

I see it a lot in work, it's surprising how little regard a lot of people pay to getting a job at the end of it all. And in that respect, anything that raises the bar for entry to higher level quals can only be a good thing, based on competition at that time.

Having said that, there is an argument to say that those from low income backgrounds are taking more of a risk in borrowing the fees than someone whose family are funding and there's no debt involved.

Although there should be a business case. I've been talking about it most of the day as most of my class have applied and of those most already have offers.

Luckily, most also have a clue what they're doing with their lives and are fairly committed to getting there. The hangers-on generally realise it's not a good idea, particularly after my McDonalds opportunity cost lesson.
wwwNOOBcom

24th Nov 10 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was coming home from college today and walked into town to get a bus and there was about a million of them at george square, tons and tons of police everywhere
Ian
Site Administrator

24th Nov 10 at 22:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah same in Liverpool.
Hammer

24th Nov 10 at 22:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by wwwNOOBcom
I was coming home from college today and walked into town to get a bus and there was about a million of them at george square, tons and tons of police everywhere

That just goes to show you the extent of the smelly bastards laziness. Scottish students haven't paid fees in a decade, so instead of just staying in their bed until 4, eating pot noodles and drinking white lightning they've took to the streets for a phoney protest.

Idiots.
Jules S
Premium Member

24th Nov 10 at 23:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd be happier if I could employ a graduate who

A/. Remotely knew the basics of what they studied

And

B/. Knew how to string a sentence together.

I've yet to find either. Seven years of uni seems to make them think they know more than somebody with 20 years experience
Ojc

24th Nov 10 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That is exactly the problem here, on one side you have the Jules S/Ojc/Steves of the world that are doing fine and have real world experience for Christ sake I left school with the following grades

English L&L - D D
Science Chem & Bio - D D
Maths - F
History - F (Exams and coursework based on the great depression not WW2 )
German - F
Business Studies - E
Resistant Materials - U
RE - U

Because of that I wouldn't be able to attend University, but I know full well I am far more intelligent than most of the students I've met but because they managed to pass a few exams after 11 years of teaching that now dictates how intelligent you are? Utter rubbish and a completely fucked up system.

I remember sitting in Business Studies after our teacher asked us to point out a particular scheme which one would make more money or something along those lines, everyone went for the obvious one with the big numbers but straight away I knew that was wrong and after I answered correctly and the rest wrong my teacher told me to take an IQ test (I was sitting at the front of the class at the time because I was a fucking nightmare)

Anyway my point is, answering a few questions on a sheet of paper does not make you intelligent.
Paul_J

25th Nov 10 at 01:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do agree with OJC. There's a lot of twat students at uni who just do doss degrees and are thick as shit... they turn up to their one lesson a week and then complain about all the 'coursework' they have to do on their 4 and a half days off. The reality is, they spend the time getting pissed or playing pro evo soccer.
Ian
Site Administrator

25th Nov 10 at 01:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

One of my colleagues has a gym analogy, where they pay to go to the gym when they pay course fees, never go and if they do go they sit about and don't train, then after three years they complain because they're not fit.
saj_123

25th Nov 10 at 01:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
I do agree with OJC. There's a lot of twat students at uni who just do doss degrees and are thick as shit... they turn up to their one lesson a week and then complain about all the 'coursework' they have to do on their 4 and a half days off. The reality is, they spend the time getting pissed or playing pro evo soccer.

I am a student and I would agree with this statement although it heavily depends on what course people are attending. In my course this approach will see you fail although I know people who are doing business and they do absolutely nothing and they still get decent grades.
Paul_J

25th Nov 10 at 01:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah on my course you'd fail if you didn't put the effort in and the week was jammed packed full of lectures, tutorials, practicals, coursework deadlines etc...

However, I knew many people inc many of my house mates that had it so easy.

The reality is, that it is almost exponential on the difficulty / work load.

An easy course has less lectures, which means less tutorials, less practicals, less coursework, less exams and overall more time to do the coursework and more time to study for exams.

A harder course has more lectures, more tutorials, more practicals, more exams, more coursework and less free time to do this coursework and definitely less time to study for exams...

It's a bizarre system.
saj_123

25th Nov 10 at 01:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Evidently those easier courses have less reward to them after graduation. Most people just want a easy course to say they have a degree.

[Edited on 25-11-2010 by saj_123]
wwwNOOBcom

25th Nov 10 at 01:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
quote:
Originally posted by wwwNOOBcom

That just goes to show you the extent of the smelly bastards laziness. Scottish students haven't paid fees in a decade, so instead of just staying in their bed until 4, eating pot noodles and drinking white lightning they've took to the streets for a phoney protest.

Idiots.

Aye white lighting is no nice at all lmao, paint striper
Root

25th Nov 10 at 01:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Gary
At Uni you learn a subject, wether it's engineering, law, medicine etc but Stuarts come out the end of it at 22 with no idea about life!

Apprentaships, way forward!

Aye, many people get the qualifications, then can't get a job or even worst, get a management/supervisor job and tell people who have been doing their job for 20+ years how to do their job. Tragic
Root

25th Nov 10 at 01:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B
i love sitting on my arse in the pub waiting for my cash to land in my account direct from Ojc's paycheck.

I prefer to work, at my work I earn on average £100-150 a week, not too bad for part-time stuff. But even if I were to earn £45 per week (same as benefits), I'd rather be in employment and earn my money, than have it given. Obviously it's your right to claim what you can, personally I'd rather earn it

<<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » University Protesting 22 database queries in 0.0134790 seconds