corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Your biggest do'h moments whilst working on your car...........

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Your biggest do'h moments whilst working on your car...........
Tom

User status: Offline
28th Oct 11 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Using Silicone in place of a gasket on the carb on my nova, was only 17 and needed car to go away for weekend, safe to say I had to stop 3 or 4 times on the way there and back to strip it down and clear all the shit out, major doh!
Mr&MrsP
Premium Member

28th Oct 11 at 18:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Started the Puma in gear & it took out the garden wall, pics in the build thread
Phil W

28th Oct 11 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Painting Drums/Calipers on my GF's Corsa. Axel Stand one end, jack the other. I was painting jacked end and as i was spinning the drum around the axel stand gave way and the car dropped to the ground.. on my foot.

Luckily my brother was there and we shouted (well, screamed actually) a neighbour across and they lifted the car up enough to get a jack underneath.

Most painful experience of my life, had a couple of bruises but no broken bones. How i never broke anything i'll never know!

[Edited on 28-10-2011 by Phil W]
joeseth17

28th Oct 11 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just had it! bought a nova gsi windscreen and stud on it outside me house! gutted anyone got one for sale?
Bonney

28th Oct 11 at 21:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone ever done the old get pissed off with messing with a part, Launching it accross the workshop/driveway/road then doing the awkward walk and mumble to retreive it and check for damage?
AlexW

28th Oct 11 at 21:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^ Many times!
Recently broke the numnberplate on my bike like that
Graeme
Premium Member

28th Oct 11 at 22:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did another tonight on a friends car. Forgot to turn it off but touched a plug lead and coil and got a blood big shock.
Jamie-C

28th Oct 11 at 23:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a scary moment about 2 weeks ago while me and my dad were bleeding the brakes.

The front was up on the ramps, and then we jacked one side of the rear up and stuck a stand under, once that side was done, while my dad was still under there I went and started jacking up the other side as soon as the wheel left the ground it rolled of the ramps, just as well it still had a wheel on the rear or he would've been squished!
mannion

29th Oct 11 at 01:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

working on my old metro gta, taking the sump off, had to undo downpipe to allow for more room, thought there was one more bolt left in, downpipe falls down and smacks me square on the nose, also changing bulbs on the metro and hand slipped off bulb and whacked manifold with my hand when it had just been turned off, nice burn mark on my hand
FAZ
Premium Member

29th Oct 11 at 06:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wheres tom with that pic of abe on 2 axle stands on opposite corners
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

29th Oct 11 at 08:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mike B
Yet more remembered

Throughout this whole thread you appear to have forgotten getting petrol in your eye
Steve
Premium Member

29th Oct 11 at 09:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rebuilt gearbox after found out spring washers were in wrong way = another rebuild to fit them right
Phillips_91

29th Oct 11 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Changing the back box for ste m off here on my drive, i was laid under the car and asked him to start it up so i could check for blows, he forgot to take it out of gear, car jumped forward, and fell towards my face, car was lowered 60mm all round, needless to say i needed to change my underwear and get a new set of axle stands

Had the wheels off on the corsa for some reason, forgot to tighten the wheel nuts, driving down the road, felt an odd vibration so pulled over, just as i stopped the corsa leaned, got out had a look wheel was leaning against the arch, had to use my mates aa cover as i had lost 2 wheel bolts, managed to lift it up and get 2 bolts in then had to crawl it slowly onto the flatbed and take it home, mates were laughin at me for weeks

after doin the 1.6 conversion, i forgot to put the transponder in for the ecu, spent ages cranking it over,, till my mate picked it up and said whats this? fired up right away afterwards!

Had the air ratchet smack me in the face many times at work when i've not been paying attention and the nuts got to the end of the bolt

removing idle control valve on the corsa i had undone the fuel lines, did everythin back up, didnt realise i had bent the bracket for the fuel regulator, started it up and wondered why the fuck it was misfiring, looked under the bonnet and fuel was spraying onto the battery and splashing in every direction! 5 litres of fuel on my unit floor, never rolled a car out of a garage so quick in my life, had to take everythin apart in the rain to sort it out as i was too scared of the hot exhaust setting fire to the fuel
harrybanks

29th Oct 11 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive had a few, pretty much have a scar on my hands from every car ive owned!

Many a time ive serviced Vaux 1.7 diesel engines, crack the oil filter off before I take the car in the air to let it drain down, its at the rear of the engine and hidden, refill with oil and start it up forgetting about the filter, 5ish litres all over back of engine and workshop floor, I now leave the oil filter on top of the engine so I dont forget it!

On a clio and a corsa c, had to change the rear drums and shoes etc, new drums dont come with abs rings, fit and adjust new shoes and drums etc, forgetting to swap the abs rings over, go to drive out the workshop and the abs light is on

When i was an apprentice I was working with my mentor at work, we had an auto corsa c in the workshop, in neutral with the handbrake on revving it up, the button on the gear stick that you press in the change gear was broken, accidentally knocked it into drive, whilst at 4000ish rpm, car flew into the work bench, dragging the rear wheels as the handbrake was on, squashed my mentors leg as the door was open it hit the ramp, knocked lots of things off the tool shelves on the other side of the wall that the bench was against! Just glad I wasnt stood infront of it!

Couple of years ago at work we had an e36 in the workshop, i was in it as 3 others were pushing it, picked up some speed and as we were approaching the wall, my feet got tangled and i stamped on the clutch instead of the brake, stoved it into the wall, needed paint on bumper, new headlight and indicator. Was first thing on a monday morning though.

Mant more i expect but cant think off the top of my head
richc

29th Oct 11 at 10:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oil change on my lpg disco - because its quiet tall i could fit a bucket underneath to drain the oil into it, so i cracked the nut off and it all went into the tub. I noticed a slight bit on the floor, so i went to pick it up to put a rag underneath and the bottom of the bucket fell through - que 5 litres of red hot oil all over me and the drive way.

My old TDI one - battery was knacked, and the handbrake has broke, as i didnt use it very often at all. So i use to leave it in gear. It had 4 inch lift and big tyres, and the leads would only just fit so i had to but my dads car right up to it, to jump it.

I then turn it over (hand through window), and then watch it drive up the bonnet of my dads car

On my old 3 series - changed disc and pads on the front. All was well. Every time i reversed, the wheels would bind up. Could not figure it out for weeks. One day i had a proper look - only one caliper bolt holding it on

[Edited on 29-10-2011 by richc]
sand-eel

29th Oct 11 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The worst was just changing the aux belt on the bmw but could not for the life of me move the tensioner...I was standing on it in the engine bay, nearly gave up after a few hours...then realised there was a fucking cover over the tensioner to put an allan key in it to loosen it...10 seconds later job done done
sand-eel

29th Oct 11 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Actually another one is where I snapped the end of the handbrake cable off doing it up...but in the bmw its a massive job to change them as they get routed up above the exhaust and propshaft under insulation and shit...4 hours later job done
1litrecozzyeater

29th Oct 11 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate made a big mistake ov putting his hand in a hungry running xe bye bye finger
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

29th Oct 11 at 22:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom_simes
quote:
Originally posted by Mike B
Yet more remembered

Throughout this whole thread you appear to have forgotten getting petrol in your eye

I actually remembered that yesterday but thought I looked enough of a half-wit with all my other mistakes so decided to stay quiet

[Edited on 29-10-2011 by Mike B]
Bonney

29th Oct 11 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

come on Mike...ou have said it now so you need to finish it off!
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

29th Oct 11 at 23:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Technically that one wasn't my fault iirc, removing the fuel tank off Ian's old Vegga shitter and I think Chris was undoing the pipes from the top of the tank, one popped off and sprayed petrol straight in my direction, stung a bit
Bonney

29th Oct 11 at 23:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds nasty!

Was told today of a pretty grousome one that happened in a windscreen place around here this week, Made me cringe just been told about it!
caseboy

30th Oct 11 at 21:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im a agriculteral engineer (tractor mechanic) and had alot of injurys so far the funnyest

during a gearbox rebuld on a tractor i was laying underneath putting a 10" pair of clutch packs in trying to lineup on a shaft then went to reach for pin clutch pack fell out of box straight on to my forhead knocking me out and putting teath marks into my head clutch pack must weigh 6kg minimum safe to say a year later u can still see the helical cut gear print in my head

whist cutting brackets off a set of tracks on a case quadtrac was hitting the backet with a 14lb sledge hammer , bit flew of smashed my goggles and hit me in the head giving me a 2" cut to my eye

and finaly fell off a combine header and landed on a bar that went through my shin and cam out the other side of it

really i should be more carefull
johnhara1

31st Oct 11 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

/\ they don't sound "funny"
Woody
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

31st Oct 11 at 13:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

haha well this morning took the door panel off messing aboutwith if fitted speakers worked fine, pin came lose and the bloody door fell off lucky i hurt my foot and didnt bend the door up but fitted it all back closed it and sat inside to test it went to open it and the bloody handle snapped had to bloody army crawl out the other door :/

<<  2    3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Your biggest do'h moments whilst working on your car........... 22 database queries in 0.0205312 seconds