corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Driving a French hot hatch in the wet

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Driving a French hot hatch in the wet
N3CRO

User status: Offline
4th Jan 12 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I had Kumho's on the 206, they sucked whether it was wet or dry tbh.
I have Toyo Proxies on now and it handles just as well in the wet as dry.
Jambo

4th Jan 12 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B
quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
Ive never went out of my way to buy a certain brand of tyre.

I usually just roll up to Fraser Brothers, tell them to fire on a part worn, and be done with it.

And in the 10 years ive been driving, ive never been in a situation where ive blamed the tyres or not been happy with them.

Ignorance is bliss.

My sentiments entirely!

Difference between tyres is enormous. Can transform ride, handling, noise, grip everything. That's new vs. new!

Avon's on Corsa LET = Grip
Expensive Pzero's on Corsa = Wheelspin in any condition and less grip.

adiohead

4th Jan 12 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graham88
Yeah but then like I said above it's a completely different car plus I haven't used them in the snow & they wouldn't get a rating either as everyone says to get walking if it snows as the M3 is useless

Then you haven't used them in proper winter conditions.
Graham88

4th Jan 12 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why would I want to use a summer tyre in winter conditions? We aren't living in winter conditions it's just a bit wet which the Goodyears aren't even struggling with
adiohead

4th Jan 12 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Why would I want to use a summer tyre in winter conditions? We aren't living in winter conditions it's just a bit wet which the Goodyears aren't even struggling with

Yeah, they're fine with rain. We get rain in summer.

I'm saying they're shit in winter (compared to other summer tyres which are also not designed for winter weather) and misshape.

[/rage quits]
Graham88

4th Jan 12 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The Goodyears actually have a very good wet rating though so I don't understand

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Goodyear/Eagle-F1-Asymmetric.htm

I don't know about anyone else but I don't even look at snow ratings as I'd rather have decent tyres for the rest of the year than have a lesser tyre that's good in the snow we get for 1 week a year if that.
big eck

4th Jan 12 at 15:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's maybe 1 week a year for yous down south but up this way it's like the fuckin north pole lol.

As for tyres my mate had the F1 goodyears on his LCR and thought they were pure shite, he changed them over to falkens and said the difference was night and day. I had the vredestein tyres on the vxr and they were superb as well. The Pzero rossos I have just now are bloody good as well but there so expensive.
Corsa_Sport21

4th Jan 12 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
quote:
Originally posted by Adam_B
quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
Ive never went out of my way to buy a certain brand of tyre.

I usually just roll up to Fraser Brothers, tell them to fire on a part worn, and be done with it.

And in the 10 years ive been driving, ive never been in a situation where ive blamed the tyres or not been happy with them.

Ignorance is bliss.

My sentiments entirely!

Difference between tyres is enormous. Can transform ride, handling, noise, grip everything. That's new vs. new!

Avon's on Corsa LET = Grip
Expensive Pzero's on Corsa = Wheelspin in any condition and less grip.

Im not being ignorant, im being honest.

Maybe my driving style is different to others, i don't know. Or maybe im just good at adapting to the conditions, i don't know.

As said, ive had numerous brands, probably 2x different brands on any axle at the same time, budget, decent makes etc, but never once have i said wooooow, these are awesome im gonna get these in future. But then again, i don't tend to drive on the limit all the time, where tyre brands and tread depth etc would possibly play a big part.

Tyres that i can remember of on past cars would be.....

Nankangs on my old circa 200bhp Mk3 Astra Gsi V6 were grippy.
Toyo T1-R's on the Pulsar Gti-R squeeled like a bitch around Knockhill, but were perfectly fine on the road.
XE Corsa, can't really remember, but it never lit the tyres anymore than expected. Was pretty easy to control wheelspin in that car.
Current MR2, has a Sunny and a Falken on the rear, feels normal, hasn't put me in a hedge or had me facing on-coming traffic.
adiohead

4th Jan 12 at 15:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The Goodyears actually have a very good wet rating though so I don't understand

I'm not talking about wet... it's wet in the summer.

I'm talking about snow, proper winter weather, they're shite and they misshape. Asymmetric F1s might be fine. I'm referring to the older style ones.

I said:
quote:
Originally posted by adiohead
Goodyear F1s are shite in the winter

not shite in the wet.

[Edited on 04-01-2012 by adiohead]
Joe

4th Jan 12 at 15:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can I just ask who has what qualification to judge what is good or bad? Lots of experts on here, I use bridgestones and I haven't crashed, are these good or bad?

Adiohead you need to get over your experiences, I've seen many tyres go out of shape. Goodyears can do, usually on the back of a front wheel drive car but put any other brand on the same car and I guarantee they will do the same.

I had good years on my corsa, they didn't go out of shape and have seen plenty more that haven't.

No-one on here is an expert, unless you have some equipment to test all these theories then most things will do down to driver, car, chassis and other such things. Only other thing is the driver running out of talent.
jr

4th Jan 12 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

7 degress and under is the window for winter tyres
Ojc

4th Jan 12 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

adiohead

4th Jan 12 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joe
Adiohead you need to get over your experiences, I've seen many tyres go out of shape. Goodyears can do, usually on the back of a front wheel drive car but put any other brand on the same car and I guarantee they will do the same.

I'm just reporting what my local Pro Tyre told me, he said "it's always Goodyears".
As said, it was probably just a bad batch old the old F1s (Chinese ones were very bad).

But I won't touch them any more and haven't had any other tyre misshape, although I keep getting screws in them at the moment
Joe

4th Jan 12 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not always goodyears by any means. Bridgestones, continental, michelin, budget brands I've seen them all go out of shape. Usually on the back end of a vectra..

Too many Internet experts on here.
adiohead

4th Jan 12 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Joe
It's not always goodyears by any means. Bridgestones, continental, michelin, budget brands I've seen them all go out of shape. Usually on the back end of a vectra..

Too many Internet experts on here.

Pro Tyre expert. The guy has worked there for fucking years.
mattant

4th Jan 12 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had some cheap Michelin Energy tyres on my old 1.2 and my wheels used to always spin in the wet when setting off. My car now came with Maxxis Victras, not sure if they're any better but the wheels don't spin
John

4th Jan 12 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wheels spinning when setting off in a 1.2 corsa, even if the tyres were made of plastic, means you can't drive.
Joe

4th Jan 12 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought the best of the best Michelin pilot sports for my corsa once, cost a fortune. Still drove shit coz it was a corsa.
BarnshaW

4th Jan 12 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

used yoko paradas for my last 3 sets and they have been near enough perfect in all conditions, last set lasted 15k aswell
Jambo

4th Jan 12 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can tell how a tyre reacts without driving at the limit.

Tyres are made out of different compounds by different companies using different composites, different designs etc so to say you cant feel the difference by definition means you are incorrect.

I just pumped my tyres up in the Jeep and even that made it drive totally different
Ben J

4th Jan 12 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
used yoko paradas for my last 3 sets and they have been near enough perfect in all conditions, last set lasted 15k aswell

I've been told they are pretty shite? We've got them all round on the kit car but yet to find out as its still being finished off. But as said, their performance on a Scooby compared to a 550kg 7 rep will vary alot!

[Edited on 04-01-2012 by Ben J]
Ben G

4th Jan 12 at 17:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattant
I had some cheap Michelin Energy tyres on my old 1.2 and my wheels used to always spin in the wet when setting off. My car now came with Maxxis Victras, not sure if they're any better but the wheels don't spin

you must be redlining the car every time you pull away?
Nick-S

4th Jan 12 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is the first time in my life i heard of mishaped tyres.
Graham88

4th Jan 12 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jr
quote:

7 degress and under is the window for winter tyres

Well it's been under 7 degrees plenty of times and my Goodyears have been fine, but apparently they're crap and mis-shape, must explain why mine grip so well
sc0ott

4th Jan 12 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats the best tyres to use for taking corners at 110mph?

<<  2    3    4    5    6  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Driving a French hot hatch in the wet 22 database queries in 0.0157070 seconds