corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » how many of you have a car loan and how much did u borrow??

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author how many of you have a car loan and how much did u borrow??
John

User status: Offline
25th Jun 12 at 08:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would depend on whether you might need the lump sum at any point over the 3 years or not and probably various other factors.

Most people would love to have the cash to put down but the cost of interest on the finance outweighs saving up for 3 years instead.
DaveyLC

25th Jun 12 at 08:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Examples?
baza31

25th Jun 12 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
I'd buy my cars outright if I stole a load of money from family members.

I'd also buy my cars outright if I had a box full of fake rolex's, 20k in the bank and a driveway full of crashed damaged cars.

Unfortunately I don't have 20k sitting in the bank, so unless I want to save up for a long time, I can get a nice car now, and comfortably afford the monthly payments.

I could go out and buy a crash damaged or crap car cash, does that mean I'm more able to afford it?

you talk some serious shite
John

25th Jun 12 at 08:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Examples. Really easy one, you pay 20k cash for the car, leaving you with nothing in the bank. You need 15k a year later, you don't have it.

Buy the car on finance, you have that 15k when you need it, you are just paying interest on the loan to have that option.

You don't even deserve a response baza.
Nick-S

25th Jun 12 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My car cost me 12k almost 2 years ago.

I bought it with 4k from selling my old car and 9k from a loan from tesco that cost me £270 a month for 3 years. (Think its around 7%apr)

Don't see why people say finance is evil. Im pritty dam happy with it. I didn't have 12 cash to spunk on the car i wanted. I can comfortable afford the repayments with plenty left over so i think i made the right choice.

[Edited on 25-06-2012 by Nick-S]
Tom

25th Jun 12 at 09:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
Even if I had the money in the bank that I'd saved for a long time, I wouldn't buy a car outright. I'd still have a low interest loan and have the money sitting in the bank.

Exectly how I see it, I nearly have enough to buy the car I want but I'm gonna get a loan as I like to be backed up by savings. The only time the savings are getting properley touched is when there's enough for a house deposit.
ed

25th Jun 12 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Always outlay the smallest amount of money possible at a time and figure out what's going to cost you more in the long run. If you've got £15k in the bank then spending it outright on a car will definitely cost you more than buying a £15k car on 0% finance or some other lease deal over say 3 years.

Also, paying £250 a month into a loan account is the same as paying £250 into a savings account, it's just you get the car now rather than in three years.
Nic Barnes

25th Jun 12 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I explained before davelc, it worked out slightly cheaper for me to get a small loan to buy my 330d than to suffer charges for taking money out my savings then over the same period the interest that money would earn is greater at 4.2% than the loan which is 9% over same period. Really not a hard one that is it.
DaveyLC

25th Jun 12 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Examples. Really easy one, you pay 20k cash for the car, leaving you with nothing in the bank. You need 15k a year later, you don't have it.

Buy the car on finance, you have that 15k when you need it, you are just paying interest on the loan to have that option.

You don't even deserve a response baza.

What difference does the money make being in the bank or not? The money you WOULD have paid on the loan you can use to build your savings back up. And if you sell the car after one or two years again you put that money back into your savings.

My point is WHY spend £20k on a car if thats all of your savings down the pisser? Why not just spend what you can afford that way you are comfortable.

People look at new cars and think "Oh look I just put down £3k and then pay £300/month for four years, oh what a bargain"

But thats more than £17k, you can write off almost quarter of that just driving it off the forecourt and you've still ot the service it, replace the tyres, brakes etc. etc.

The alternative would have been to buy one thats 2-3 years old and save thousands.

I'd love a Rangey Vogue and I could walk into a Lancaster dealership tomorrow and roll out in a Vogue on tick but that would just be stupid.
DaveyLC

25th Jun 12 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
I explained before davelc, it worked out slightly cheaper for me to get a small loan to buy my 330d than to suffer charges for taking money out my savings then over the same period the interest that money would earn is greater at 4.2% than the loan which is 9% over same period. Really not a hard one that is it.

Oh bollocks.. Theres nothing to be earned on savings, if you had the money you would have used it.
DaveyLC

25th Jun 12 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Always outlay the smallest amount of money possible at a time and figure out what's going to cost you more in the long run. If you've got £15k in the bank then spending it outright on a car will definitely cost you more than buying a £15k car on 0% finance or some other lease deal over say 3 years.

Also, paying £250 a month into a loan account is the same as paying £250 into a savings account, it's just you get the car now rather than in three years.

So you think these main dealers are charities? How do you think they make money?
A2H GO

25th Jun 12 at 09:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think Davey has confused people who get finance with those who can't afford.
John

25th Jun 12 at 09:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure what part you don't understand Davey, it's really really simple, I now give up.

Stupid people taking loans out on cars that will be worthless in 2 months time doesn't mean that the loan is a problem, it means that the people can't count.

If you can add up some numbers there's nothing wrong with an affordable loan.
DaveyLC

25th Jun 12 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Well that depends on your definition of afford... If I havent got the money to buy something then I cant afford it.
Tom

25th Jun 12 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
Yes it is, so 'spreading the payment' is a fools game. Most people simply need a lesson in patience and self control.

Whilst others just need to get with the times. It's all very commendable saving and paying with cash etc, but it's not always practical. Just because you've taken finance for a car doesn't mean you're showing off either I'm getting a car as I want something more reliable and safer than what I have at the moment, an unsecured loan will give me the flexibility I need.
Sam
Premium Member

25th Jun 12 at 09:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Those of you who think finance is a bad idea - I'm just wondering, do any of you run a business?

If so, do you apply that same argument to running your business also (i.e. save not borrow)?
A2H GO

25th Jun 12 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Well that depends on your definition of afford... If I havent got the money to buy something then I cant afford it.

Good luck with living at home for the rest of your life then.
ed

25th Jun 12 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ed

So you think these main dealers are charities? How do you think they make money?

By taking your money in return for goods; that's fairly obvious.
taylorboosh

25th Jun 12 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Davey is making himself look an arse tbh...
ed

25th Jun 12 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Agreed, I don't see where I said car dealers are charities either. I said do the maths and figure out what's going to cost you less in the long run.
Nic Barnes

25th Jun 12 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes

Oh bollocks.. Theres nothing to be earned on savings, if you had the money you would have used it.
I have the money. Charges to remove money from my savings account, plus interest rate is higher than on the loan. Maths, it's a cut and shut deal. Last sentence is in terms you should understand.
Ian W

25th Jun 12 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Exactly, people don't seem to be able to see the difference in this thread.
taylorboosh

25th Jun 12 at 10:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol nic
Ben G

25th Jun 12 at 11:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Interest + depreciation < older car maintenance

my fiesta costs me £132 a month on finance over 2 years.

i bought my puma for £2000.

the puma died, after i had spent £300 fixing it. so that's £2300 there.

most people would've probably scrapped it and got back £150 or there abouts, so that's £150 back in their pocket after shelling out £2300 to buy and maintain the car.

the fiesta would cost £3168 over the 2 years, only £868 more than the puma. it requires no MOT so that's a £100 saving at least, no need to pay for any problems that arise as it's covered by warranty and you get to drive around in a nice new car rather than a 10 year old one.

quite simple really. obviously the fiestas slow but for someone with no interest in cars it's good peace of mind motoring.
Tom G

25th Jun 12 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

<<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » how many of you have a car loan and how much did u borrow?? 22 database queries in 0.0174739 seconds