corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » power vs handling

Poll: power vs handling
Power 38 (55.88%)
Handling 30 (44.12%)

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author power vs handling
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Offline
17th Jul 12 at 19:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_J
-- Generally people who focus on power never really learn how to actually drive a car and just boot it down the straights, then brake early for corners and mince about unsettling the car mid bend, before nailing it on the next straight.
This, ie. most Impreza owners.

[Edited on 17-07-2012 by Ian]
AK

17th Jul 12 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hey hey hey
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Jul 12 at 19:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
why not just buy an old E36 325 or 328 or a 1995 sti impreza or similar and it will no doubt handle better, be faster and be cheaper to start with?
It won't though will it? Brakes and tyres will be shit for a start, and they're bigger so more expensive.
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Jul 12 at 19:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Jul 12 at 19:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
The problem is people with shit cars who think they can build a supercar by wanking over the demon tweeks catalouge and shoving the parts on something never designed to be a performance car

You want sauce with your chips
BarnshaW

17th Jul 12 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
why not just buy an old E36 325 or 328 or a 1995 sti impreza or similar and it will no doubt handle better, be faster and be cheaper to start with?
It won't though will it? Brakes and tyres will be shit for a start, and they're bigger so more expensive.

whereas a puma or saxo or clio come with elite tyres, brakes as standard?

disagree, you can buy a much more capable, faster car for no more then you can buy a puma etc
AK

17th Jul 12 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it will cost more to make it better though... that is a fact.

A bigger more capable car will be (normally) heavier... heavier on brakes and tyres, fuel etc etc

3CorsaMeal

17th Jul 12 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
The problem is people with shit cars who think they can build a supercar by wanking over the demon tweeks catalouge and shoving the parts on something never designed to be a performance car

You want sauce with your chips

Nah, trying to enjoy some popcorn here.
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Jul 12 at 19:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
whereas a puma or saxo or clio come with elite tyres, brakes as standard?

I thought you said why do up a Puma when you could have a standard Impreza or BMW.

My answer was, because said standard car will be shit.
BarnshaW

17th Jul 12 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you say so
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Jul 12 at 19:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
why spend thousands and thousand on a FWD car that will not be fast in straight line or not be fast in the corners without chucking money at it.

why not just buy an old E36 325 or 328 or a 1995 sti impreza
Yes, you did.

Answer, its not cheaper. You'd probably run 17s on both of those for a start, that's doubled your tyre budget* before you've even put fuel in it.

*assuming you want to use it a few times.

I guess you wouldn't keep buying road tyres for it if it you were going out a few times.

Don't overlook I'm talking exclusively about track here, no interest in driving fast on public roads, and I'd far rather learn to drive an underpowered car than do what most Impreza owners do which is turn up thinking they have a fast car when in fact they just hold people up in corners then blat away on straights so you can't get past. Next corner, hold you up, next straight, blat away, repeat until fade.

Then post on the internet about how they didn't get overtaken. No shit.

BarnshaW

17th Jul 12 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i meant if you say they are shit as standard then you have spoken and thats final, dont want to upset anyone or give an opinion.
Jambo

17th Jul 12 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A BM 325 Msport will be correct wheel drive and a far more balanced chassis than a puma.
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Jul 12 at 19:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go spend 1500 quid on one and show me lap times.

If you want to really make my point, go to a few different circuits and work out the total cost to track it for a year. In fact project that forward to the time when it goes pop and show me the bill for an engine.

Perhaps I'm not being clear - they're not shit - but they're also not sufficient better to warrant you wondering why people don't just buy Imprezas.
Steve
Premium Member

17th Jul 12 at 19:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was pretty much keeping up with a standard e36 m3 on the gp circuit in germany when my puma was standard

it was doing me on the straights, but come a corner i was all over it, and it was twitching all over the place, got a vid of it somewhere

Im sure if i started ahead of it i would have edged away from it over the course of some laps

[Edited on 17-07-2012 by Steve]
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Jul 12 at 19:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
A BM 325 Msport will be correct wheel drive and a far more balanced chassis than a puma.
I'll still kill a standard one.

That's all I'm talking about - being asked why I didn't just buy an Impreza and I'm telling you the answer.

I have a fairly polorised view of it but that is my point. I've overtaken so many it does begin to grate.

BarnshaW

17th Jul 12 at 19:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wow some really pissy people in here, i also dont believe for once second these pumas (which appear to be animals) are nailing classic stis around tracks, 280ps impreza with 4wd and bags more torque would not be pissed over by a race prepped puma.

as an example you buy a pum and spend say 2k on it? buy said impreza, spend 1k on it with basic stuff, save 1k for your "tyres" and "brake" costs and it will still be faster round a track...
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Jul 12 at 20:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And also for the record, if people want to buy Imprezas or 328s then sound - up to them.

I'd never post and say 'I've no idea why you want an Impreza/328, Puma is a superior car' as I think its a silly thing to try and enforce that view on someone else.

Likewise I don't want the view enforcing on me that doing up a FWD car is a bad idea.

I also think it was a bit of a dig at Steve who really can do as he pleases, at least he's having a go and not sitting in a chair telling other people how to spend their money.
BarnshaW

17th Jul 12 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no one is telling anyone how to spend their money, it is a genuine question. its you takingf it way out of context and getting defensive
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Jul 12 at 20:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
wow some really pissy people in here, i also dont believe for once second these pumas (which appear to be animals) are nailing classic stis around tracks, 280ps impreza with 4wd and bags more torque would not be pissed over by a race prepped puma.

as an example you buy a pum and spend say 2k on it? buy said impreza, spend 1k on it with basic stuff, save 1k for your "tyres" and "brake" costs and it will still be faster round a track...

Problem being I can't find any Impreza lap times or videos for standard cars, or at least the ones I did find they were being driven like fags.
AK

17th Jul 12 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm getting a complex here...

most 'standard' cars will be shite on track. Motorfactor pads, and budget road tyres are hopeless on any car!

A shite driver in any car will still be shite.

Put the same driver in a standard puma and a standard STi and the STi will be quicker.

A Puma with basic mods for track - susp, brakes and tyres will be pretty comparable to an Impreza on OE susp, tyres etc
Ian
Site Administrator

17th Jul 12 at 20:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about on a 2 grand budget.

2 grand in each, do whatever you need to.

Or 3 grand for 5 events.

BarnshaW

17th Jul 12 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

changing the rules a bit now though. putting max budgets on etc.

Ian
Site Administrator

17th Jul 12 at 20:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You introduced the budget did you not.
BarnshaW

17th Jul 12 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nope I definately did not mention a maximum budget

<<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » power vs handling 24 database queries in 0.0169289 seconds