corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Out growing cars..

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Out growing cars..
James

User status: Offline
10th Dec 12 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James
quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
Also a quick bit of maths:

£60k pa is £5k per month. Knock off 20% tax so £4k a month. Say a £1k a month mortgage (which btw would get a lovely 4 bed detaches up here) , £3k a month left.

So say sky, food, gas, petrol, electric, main car etc comes to £1k (way overboard) they would still have £2k left....

Yea no way could you run a Ferrari on £24k free cash a year...

For starters, £60k is £3,464 per month after deductions.

I've already dropped your "disposable income" down to £18k a year, you forgot to mention the actual buying of the Ferrari in the first place.

And you've assumed that this person has no social life.
JonnyJ

10th Dec 12 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

£60k pa is £5k per month. Knock off 20% tax so £4k a month. Say a £1k a month mortgage (which btw would get a lovely 4 bed detaches up here) , £3k a month left.

So say sky, food, gas, petrol, electric, main car etc comes to £1k (way overboard) they would still have £2k left....

I've already dropped your "disposable income" down to £18k a year, you forgot to mention the actual buying of the Ferrari in the first place.

Not just one, but both people.

"Love, i really want an old Ferrari, probably sit in the garage most of its life like, BUT if we combine both our wages and do literally NOTHING and pray nothing in the house or our car breaks, we can afford it, good idea, yeah?"
ed

10th Dec 12 at 13:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

taylorboosh

10th Dec 12 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do think its doable and pip has proved it. Anyway the point remains that this thread is not about Ferraris.

Its about growing out of fast/flash cars in general
RichR
Premium Member

10th Dec 12 at 14:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Pip hasn't proved your point you knob; he's not said how much his parents earn, how many children he has who still need to be supported, how much their mortgage is if at all.
taylorboosh

10th Dec 12 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

And you assume that because its a classic car stuff will break every five minutes... How much do you spend a month on a socail life? Going to the pub for a few pints isn't really that expensive at all.
taylorboosh

10th Dec 12 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LiVe LeE
Pip hasn't proved your point you knob; he's not said how much his parents earn, how many children he has who still need to be supported, how much their mortgage is if at all.

He said exactly how much they are costing to run you knob.... They are costing less to insure than my fucking corsa..
RichR
Premium Member

10th Dec 12 at 14:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much they cost to run but not how much money he has in the first instance. £60k jointly goes fucking nowhere
taylorboosh

10th Dec 12 at 14:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

insurance is covered under all 4 of his and mum's cars at around £600 and servicing is the same as your average saloon apart from a major with all belts and oil seals (engine out job) which was around £1k

Robin
Premium Member

10th Dec 12 at 14:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's a guy on Pistonheads who bought a £17k 456, wonder how he's getting on.
RichR
Premium Member

10th Dec 12 at 14:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you really are a dick taylorboosh
taylorboosh

10th Dec 12 at 14:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

From what pip is saying the m3 has cost more to run. At the moment his mrs isn't yet a nurse and he's paying the bills and running an m3 on £18k per year apprentice wages plus overtime which tbf he does a fair bit of. His child wants for nothing and they always go out?
Robin
Premium Member

10th Dec 12 at 14:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Regardless of it not breaking every five minutes. What do you do when it needs a pair of rear shocks or a clutch?

Even a service, you need to have it done more often than other cars and realistically you're not going to take it to your local Fred in a shed are you? If you do, nobody will buy it off you.

I don't understand anyone who would buy something which they cannot comfortably fix or repair, that's how you end up with a garden full of rusty shit.
Chris x

10th Dec 12 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Think hes talking about combined incomes. So that wouldnt be the case?
3CorsaMeal

10th Dec 12 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Maybe I'm unusual. Old cars don't appeal to me, possibly with the exception of the DB5.

Because if I bought a tatty old Porsche or Ferrari, I would know that 9 out of 10 people would think, look at that heap of junk. I think the same when I see old cars, regardless of what they are.

Perhaps I'm not a true car enthusiast if I've got this opinion.

its the 1 out of 10 people that really count, 9 out of 10 are driving white goods
taylorboosh

10th Dec 12 at 14:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same thing he did when he found out his subframe was cracked... Fix it

This is fucking rediculous, the thread is neither about Ferraris nor john-ds income. Its about growing out of cars...

I'm on the side of owning a performance car you barely drive is a waste of cash...
Robin
Premium Member

10th Dec 12 at 14:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It really is about Ferraris.
Robin
Premium Member

10th Dec 12 at 14:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ridiculous BTW.
3CorsaMeal

10th Dec 12 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Balling
quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
Its the same type of choice, but on a different scale.

Imagine an internet ferrari meet, with numerous 360s and 430s all parked next to each other, no one cares about each other cars, they all think theirs is the best, despite them being all pretty much the same thing.

Now a guy turns up in his old 1970's ferrari, might of cost a fraction of a brand new 430, but i bet all the modern ferrari owners would flock around and ask questions, rather than walking up to a 430, taking a photos and the only question the guy can answer is how much he paid for it.

I have trouble explaining my thinkings without sounding mad, but i have a go

Its like bringing a mint nova to a corsa meet
I kind of get what you're saying. People buying and modifying M3's are doing it for attention, but in reality they should buy an old sports car as it would give them more attention?

Except that buying a Corrado is possibly the sanest decision any human can make, I'm still really unclear on the point of all of this!?

Am I right in thinking that you assume that people buying modern sport models (M's, ST's, VXR's etc) and modifying them are doing so as a combined result of some form of internet peer pressure and a striving of a form of false superiority based on their "top of the range" car, which in reality is now a mid to low price range family transport past it's heyday?

i agree, its a weird philosophy and one that hard to put a definitive line through and says thats right, this isn't.

Its the people that buy the modern day vxr's, st's and are ignorant about what they actually own. I have no problem with people doing up a modernish family car, but as long as they can admit it just an astra or focus or golf and carries the same name as millions upon millions of generations of more of less the same thing.

You shouldn't need to explain your car or name the badges before people are interested imo. eg: "I drive a ford focus, but its got......." even "i drive a ford capri" is cooler to me
sc0ott

10th Dec 12 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
From what pip is saying the m3 has cost more to run. At the moment his mrs isn't yet a nurse and he's paying the bills and running an m3 on £18k per year apprentice wages plus overtime which tbf he does a fair bit of. His child wants for nothing and they always go out?

If youre doing no more than 2k a year in any car youre hardly running it, more like just owning and maintaining it as and when required. 2k a year is nothing. 3cm probably covered that in the time his car was in bits.
taylorboosh

10th Dec 12 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Never said I was good at English mate and if anything its about 911s, c3 covettes and cosworths
taylorboosh

10th Dec 12 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's all he "gets" to do. Sunny weekend use.
sc0ott

10th Dec 12 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You say that like elliot reid has him thumbed, why cant he use it when its dry but cloudy?
Balling
Premium Member

10th Dec 12 at 14:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
Its the people that buy the modern day vxr's, st's and are ignorant about what they actually own. I have no problem with people doing up a modernish family car, but as long as they can admit it just an astra or focus or golf and carries the same name as millions upon millions of generations of more of less the same thing.
So you prefer people to be more humble about their cars and acknowledge that any mass produced vehicle, no matter the amount of modifications, will ever be truly as special to own as a, for lack of a better term, classic?

Balling
Premium Member

10th Dec 12 at 14:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
That's all he "gets" to do. Sunny weekend use.
I think Balling would tell you that you need to consider the true purpose of the car you own. He would probably think, that there a numerous cars that would fit the bill for a car that is hardly used.

Balling thinks that any old shitter would do the job, but wouldn't be very interesting when you actually drive it. On the other hand, he'd also say that owning an expensive, yet enjoyable car, would feel like a bit of a waste when hardly driven.

<<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Out growing cars.. 23 database queries in 0.0178180 seconds