corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Lambo Aventendor Detail

New Poll
  <<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Lambo Aventendor Detail
BluKoo

User status: Offline
30th Jan 13 at 14:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
Rich H repairs paint and it doesnt cost into the 4 figures

Maybe the prices would be reasonable if half the time wasnt taking pics

Not all details cost 4 figures Why can't you get your head round this?

[Edited on 30-01-2013 by BluKoo]
A2H GO

30th Jan 13 at 14:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BluKoo
The only thing I think is stupid about that KDS link i just posted is that he takes gloss readings before he even washes it, then gloss readings after the wash, correction, and protection.
He should have taken the readings after the wash, but before the correction.

The fact that they even take gloss readings to proove something that can't be seen with your eyes says it all.

[Edited on 30-01-2013 by A2H GO]
BluKoo

30th Jan 13 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by A2H GO
quote:
The only thing I think is stupid about that KDS link i just posted is that he takes gloss readings before he even washes it, then gloss readings after the wash, correction, and protection.
He should have taken the readings after the wash, but before the correction.

The fact that they even take gloss readings to proove something that can't be seen with your eyes says it all.

Gloss can be seen by your eyes though.
They just use readings to show what might be difficult to see in photographs under different lighting situations.
A2H GO

30th Jan 13 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Look, the meter says your paint is now 0.001microns shinyer, pay me lots of monies.
Nath

30th Jan 13 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Rich H repairs paint and it doesnt cost into the 4 figures

Maybe the prices would be reasonable if half the time wasnt taking pics

Not all details cost 4 figures Why can't you get your head round this?

[Edited on 30-01-2013 by BluKoo]

Because he couldn't be a cynic otherwise.
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

30th Jan 13 at 18:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Look, the meter says your paint is now 0.001microns shinyer, pay me lots of monies.

That's not what it's about though is it. It's about look your car now looks amazing and is protected from all the horrible shite on the road and we have done what you wanted us to do. Now pay me the fee I charge which isn't always 4 figures

[Edited on 30-01-2013 by FlaFFy_91]
Russ

30th Jan 13 at 19:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FlaFFy =]
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

30th Jan 13 at 19:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
FlaFFy =]

That's so 2009
Haha
Ste
Premium Member

31st Jan 13 at 08:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
So many people still look at detailing as an expensive car wash. As soon as you realise that a good detailer can actually repair damaged paintwork, you'll realise that it's a few hundred quid is well spent.

Years ago, before detailers were invented, I took my car to the local body shop as it needed some work doing. He repaired the paint then rather than spend a day cleaning inside the exhaust with a tooth pick, he spent an hour with a polisher and some G3 and the thing was shinier than when it was brand new. Cost me £60.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
John

31st Jan 13 at 08:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Even the whole hundreds of pounds for an angle grinder thing is a farce. As with any tools, if you are using it all day every day, buying a high quality tool is a good idea. They are either an angle grinder or a sander though, nothing more complicated.
BarnshaW

31st Jan 13 at 08:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

excuse my noobyness, whats the difference between a "mop" and a "detail" then? why does a detail cost so much more then a mop when they are essentially the same thing?
mwg

31st Jan 13 at 09:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mops get done at a bodyshop, detailing gets done by a guy that comes to your drive in a van wearing trackies and trainers. I know which one sounds like it's dodgy when I put it like that.
Steve
Premium Member

31st Jan 13 at 09:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
excuse my noobyness, whats the difference between a "mop" and a "detail" then? why does a detail cost so much more then a mop when they are essentially the same thing?

A detail encompasses more, eg as ste said cleaning the inside of an exhaust with a tooth pick.

However every time a person questions detailing the main argument that is always thrown back at you is paint correction blah blah, cost you much more to have a respray blah blah.

In that sense of things, paint correction is no different to a mop, the time difference is because detailing as already pointed out is done by blokes who never finished school and have to spend time with fancy electronic gizmos to ensure they dont take too much surface off, whereas a proper bodyshop will know by experience how much to apply and will just crack on and have it done in about 1/10th the time

Basically what you are paying for is the extra time taken due to someones inexperience and uneducated approach learnt from reading posts on a forum

Then you have people like Rich H who i see as more like the man from a body shop but just in a van offering a mobile service. Iv never seen him take gloss readings or any of that nonsense?

[Edited on 31-01-2013 by Steve]
Steve
Premium Member

31st Jan 13 at 09:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly like that log bagger thread where everyone was saying it had to be designed in a cad program then made up at the cost of several hundreds of pounds, again paying extra for someone who can weld a bit but doesnt have any actual instinctive design skills to make it.

As I pointed out, take it to a bloke in a railway arch whos been doing it for years and he will knock it up for 50 quid. The internet told me I was wrong though.

Back to the topic of the thread, too many people starting these types of trades with no real skill, just a uni course or not even that, thinking they are experts for reading a few threads on the internet, then end up charging stupid amounts because they need extra time and equipment to do a job that could be done in a fraction of the time with actual talent

[Edited on 31-01-2013 by Steve]
3CorsaMeal

31st Jan 13 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I blame facebook mate
Gary
Premium Member

31st Jan 13 at 09:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Basically what you are paying for is the extra time taken due to someones inexperience and uneducated approach learnt from reading posts on a forum

Pretty sure your paying for time and products tbh.
John

31st Jan 13 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm doubtful of some of the times quoted.
mattant

31st Jan 13 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Detailing is fine as long as it doesn't get too obsessive. Wasn't there a thread on DW where a guy was stressing out because his Astra Nurburgring had an imperfection only seen under a microscope, and a bit of paint under the carpets?
Dave

31st Jan 13 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Even the whole hundreds of pounds for an angle grinder thing is a farce. As with any tools, if you are using it all day every day, buying a high quality tool is a good idea. They are either an angle grinder or a sander though, nothing more complicated.

It's not an angle grinder though is it? You can't just go sticking a mop head on a £30 grinder.
John

31st Jan 13 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You basically can.

On a rotary you probably want to make sure it's not too fast, but yes, it's a motor in a handle that spins, it's that simple.
Dave

31st Jan 13 at 18:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A grinder has one speed, and its usually really fucking fast, far too fast to be polishing with.
neil h

31st Jan 13 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Thanks for demonstrating you don't know what your talking about

quote:
Originally posted by John
You basically can.

On a rotary you probably want to make sure it's not too fast, but yes, it's a motor in a handle that spins, it's that simple.

Nope, it's really not. Any decent rotary you'll have some form of speed control, which is kinda important.

Oh and Steve, we get the idea. You don't like people who charge 1000s for detailing a car, well done. Move on
John

31st Jan 13 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So a grinder with a speed control isn't still a grinder. Call it a drill if you want, there's nothing that makes it cost £400 because it's a 'polisher'.

Double checked to make sure I wasn't being a retard, some grinders come with speed controls, it's most definitely just a grinder.

[Edited on 31-01-2013 by John]
spencer88

31st Jan 13 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought a Halfords Grinder and stuck a polishing pad on it.

Worked just like one of those really posh expensive ones
John

31st Jan 13 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Couldn't possibly have done mate, rotation is different when you spend more money.

<<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Lambo Aventendor Detail 23 database queries in 0.0161738 seconds