corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » BMW Z4 3.0i and Fiesta ST-3. - Interior refresh.

New Poll
  <<  51    52    53    54    55    56    57  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author BMW Z4 3.0i and Fiesta ST-3. - Interior refresh.
Ben G

User status: Offline
30th May 13 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hopefully that'll be the issue, although would it not rub all the time if that were the case?
Gary
Premium Member

30th May 13 at 20:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also you can roll arches without paint cracking by heating it first with a heat gun.

If it's just the rear then get go 10/20mm narrower with the tyres with the bonus of being sCeNE
BeetleGav

30th May 13 at 21:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't you get your arm up the back of the wheel to feel how close it is? Or stick your phone round there and get a photo
djgritt
Premium Member

31st May 13 at 06:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
hopefully that'll be the issue, although would it not rub all the time if that were the case?

No, the wheels can move a fair amount under varying suspension loads.

Ps, New Wheels look good
taylorboosh

31st May 13 at 06:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Coilovers with stiffer damping imo
MatthewR

31st May 13 at 08:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wow Ben what a transformation the wheels have had on the car!!!
Simply stunning, completely changed the look of the car, looks amazing

Graham88

31st May 13 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would get the arches rolled anyway. Get it done properly aswell by Arch Enemy not some joey with a roller.
Ben G

2nd Jun 13 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

had a quick look at the rears today and once i had taken the wheel off, i could see exactly where they were rubbing.

took the arch liner off and had a look behind to see if they needed to be on there. turns out they do as theres wires and all sorts sitting in the rear arch.

outside edge:

got the heatgun out to see if i could do anything and as per usual, i break something.

this is why i don't usually fuck around with my car. now i need a new wheel arch liner

wheels will be going as i'm not messing around with skinnier tyres or arch mods. it's not worth the effort and money.

[Edited on 02-06-2013 by Ben G]
Kyle T
Premium Member

2nd Jun 13 at 13:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gutted

Can't you just trim that part of the liner off which it's catching on? It's pretty clear where you've been fouling it.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

2nd Jun 13 at 13:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You could probably fabricate something to cover those wires/hoses with too, and underseal the rest.

Don't give up!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

2nd Jun 13 at 13:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'd like to persevere with it all, but i've lost all confidence in the car as i'm scared it'll rub if i drive it a little too hard.

i witnessed this yesterday going down some back lanes and even just cornering normally, the fronts were rubbing quite badly.

i could just raise the car back to sport suspension height, but then it'll probably look pants.
Kyle T
Premium Member

2nd Jun 13 at 13:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yonks ago when I lowered my Seat Ibiza it rubbed for about two weeks and then something must have just fell off, because I never heard it again

I can see your point though, it's a car for driving not rolling around town or shows. Swapping tyres would probably be enough for those rears at least, but it's not a cheap experiment.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

2nd Jun 13 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

indeed. tyres are ridiculous as the size i'd ideally want is 255/30/19. also, the ride is alot harsher due to the lower profile.

should be able to sell these on for a profit anyway as i only paid £450 with tyres, then get 2 new'uns put on the black wheels and get a refurb.
Kyle T
Premium Member

2nd Jun 13 at 13:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

...or just keep them for show wheels.

Or is that a bit 1990's?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

2nd Jun 13 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a bit sCeNe
taylorboosh

2nd Jun 13 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gutted, just buy some coilies and firm them up so it cant roll so much
BeetleGav

2nd Jun 13 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shame! They do look great I'm definately sticking with 18s. I'm getting bbs ch's for mine, was meant to order them Friday but I forgot

I'd persevere with the rubbing but the size of them is daft and I can understand the not wanting to pay tyre prices!
Ben G

2nd Jun 13 at 16:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

went out with the broken bit hanging down and it rubbed straight away, so had to cut half the wheel arch out.

it's fine for now and i'll run the wheels for a week then change them over.

it seems to squat a lot at speed, which is why at 80mph the rears make a hell of a noise rubbing the plastic liner.
taylorboosh

2nd Jun 13 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you ignoring me? Lol

If you cant afford coilies just yet keep them to one side till you can..
CORSA NUT

2nd Jun 13 at 20:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Gutted for you man
Ben G

2nd Jun 13 at 21:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

john, i'd like coilovers but it's just not something i want to spend out on when i don't need them. i only bought the wheels because they were cheap.

the ride is far too harsh on 19's imo, much prefer how it drives on 18's, it's not as crashy, especially considering our roads aren't the smoothest.
Graham88

3rd Jun 13 at 00:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Arch rolling is like £100, just do it. Plastic arch liners are nothing, I accept it doesn't sound nice, but on the bright side it will eventually stop
chris_uk
Premium Member

3rd Jun 13 at 04:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
Are you ignoring me? Lol

If you cant afford coilies just yet keep them to one side till you can..

Making your car stiff on coilivers isnt exactly the solution either, probably make the car handle worse than it is now.. Sure maybe it will stop the squatting down and rubbing at the rear but by making it harder on the back will just make the car twitchy at the rear, You could stiffen the fronts up to compensate but then you would have a very hard non compliant car and it would fucking awful to drive on anything other than track type surfaces.

Ben, Id advise not going down this route, either modify the car to make them fit or just get some wheels which do fit.

[Edited on 03-06-2013 by chris_uk]
MatthewR

3rd Jun 13 at 06:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont give up on the wheels
Ben G

8th Jun 13 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

spent today giving the original wheels a proper clean up and stuck them back on (along with the rear spacers), so i could actually drive the car in anger without worry.

definitely need some new rears, although in this weather they grip well:

when my brake duct decided to disappear, it took along half the wheel arch liner with it

whilst the wheels were off, i decided to check the roof drains to see if they were clogged up. theres a handy inspection hatch in the arch liner:

took the plug out and flushed all the crap out with water, then put it back in.

then put the wheels on and gave the car a very quick clean:

yes i now they look rubbish compared to the others, but i can actually drive it properly now. function over form and all that.

<<  51    52    53    54    55    56    57  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » BMW Z4 3.0i and Fiesta ST-3. - Interior refresh. 24 database queries in 0.0337670 seconds