corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  51    52    53    54    55    56    57  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
daymoon
Premium Member

User status: Offline
21st Jan 14 at 22:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got Marting spraying my bumpers so once they are done I can come over and you will see the quality for yourself and decide.

Workers at Jet recognise me in streets now Filled up 3 times last week
AndyCorsaSport

21st Jan 14 at 23:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lad I used to work with works at MSP I think. He's mates with Martin anyway so don't know if he works there full time or just a bit. You might know him daymoon, Matty Booth? He's an odd fellow
djgritt
Premium Member

22nd Jan 14 at 00:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nothing wrong with the Prosport Gauges - I have the Boost one in my Vectra and am perfectly happy with it.
CORSA NUT

22nd Jan 14 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had these on my classic and they never put a foot wrong. The racket they give off is so annoying though

When you first for them there's a procedure to stop the beeping on start up and it's a fucking ballache as you can't tell which one is beeping as your trying to stop them. Maybe I was just having an off day when doing them. Plus if you ever disconnect the battery you have to do it all over again
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Jan 14 at 16:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had to go help out at work today, until about 14 : 00 - that combined with the weather and fading light meant that I couldn't manage a full install, but I did want to work out the wiring side of things.

Started off hunting for my multimeter, but instead happened to stumble across my old LCD clock (the green one). Looked at the back of it, and the pinout of the plug was all labelled! Result.

First off... snip.

Before getting the soldering iron out, decided to check the pinout and make sure all was well:

Then time for some questionable soldering...

But no worries, heat shrink to hide it all...

(I did heat it up afterwards to "shrink it", then bound it all with leccy tape).

Then, time to try the pod out:

I mentioned before it's a bit tatty - which includes some broken clips. I think that's making the front of it pop up a bit. Will see what I can do about it, otherwise it's time for a new pod.

Because none of my sensors are plumbed in yet, the gauges just flash all the time (other than the temp gauge which I can just plug in to shut it up) so I've pulled the fuse for the LCD clock for now.

I'm missing ONE component to plumb them all in, a reducing T' piece for the boost pressure - will probably mean an install completion next weekend.

[Edited on 25-01-2014 by Kyle T]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Jan 14 at 16:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, and I bought some new coilovers

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

25th Jan 14 at 16:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought you were selling up after reading the title gauges looks good. Blocks passengers view of your bonnet scoop mind.
BeetleGav

25th Jan 14 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who needs bonnet scoops when you have a dash scoop
SXI - Matt

25th Jan 14 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What coilovers you got now? Didn't you recently buy some decent ones?
taylorboosh

25th Jan 14 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bet bretts allover this when he reads the title
taylorboosh

25th Jan 14 at 18:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wont the colour difference annoy you?
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Jan 14 at 18:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SXI - Matt
What coilovers you got now? Didn't you recently buy some decent ones?

Yep, bought the BC Racing ER coilovers not so long ago.

I was really excited about the BC's, they were the "top spec" ones from BC and had all the features. Post installation though, they gradually wore me down...

- Rears are noisy, BC say it's just because of the Impreza chassis and the solid top mounts just transmit all of the noise.

- Suspension has got no droop at all, feel wheel hop on the inside rear wheel when quickly navigating roundabouts and stuff like that... really not great for confidence.

The killing blow for them really was when I had the car at Chevron for the suspension setup, the coilovers got a hell of a slating which just added to my already negative opinion on them.

However, they cost me a lot - and I was in no rush to swap them, but had started doing some passive research. I had my options down to the following based on the fact that all of the below would allow me to run OEM rubber top mounts at the rear.

Bilstein B14 - Fixed rate dampers so no adjustment. About £1400 new including top mounts.
Bilstein B16 - 1 way adjustable dampers, about £2200 new including top mounts.
KW Variant 1 - Pretty much same spec and cost as the B14.
KW Variant 3 - 2 way adjustable dampers with external resevoirs (similar to my current BCs), About same cost as the Bilstein B16.

So either way, lots of money to be saved.

I had a few beers last night, ended up with the shits and at about 3am whilst sat on the toilet with the iPad - found an eBay auction for some KW Variant 3's for my car, which today I won.

For £495

They almost certainly need to go off to KW though for a refurb, so I need to find the pricing out for that on Monday. I may opt to have the springs replaced on them too, just because I got them so cheap so might as well get them "as new". They're off a 2006 STI which by the sound of it ended up broken for parts.

They include OEM rubber top mounts. I'll be keeping OEM rears to soak up this "inherent" problem with the Impreza chassis, but will source some solid camber plates for the fronts.

Best bit of all, I might have a buyer for the BC's willing to pay as much as I did for them last year

[Edited on 25-01-2014 by Kyle T]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Jan 14 at 18:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
Wont the colour difference annoy you?

Colour difference of what?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
taylorboosh

25th Jan 14 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The gauges
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Jan 14 at 18:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Come on man, read it properly.

Gauges will be amber as per my speedo once plumbed in properly.

At the minute, when powered - all three just flash from "off" to white because no sensors are attached. I've got the choice of Blue, White or Amber when "live":

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
taylorboosh

25th Jan 14 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol i never read when babysitting...

Just scan over
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Jan 14 at 18:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not babysitting when it's your own child, I'm pretty sure that's just being "Dad"

Seriously though, I don't put effort into these posts for you to skim read - try harder tomorrow.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Jambo

25th Jan 14 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kyle

I did the exact same toilets-shits thing when I bought the seats for my Clio

Nice update; I'm not a massive fan of imprezza's but I do like this. Really like the colour. And I still love the way you went 0-bonkers hard core modding enthusiast in the space of about a week lol.

Keep it up, gauges look great
Ben G

25th Jan 14 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My mate has teins on his classic and swears by them. Looks stiff at hell when i'm behind him though
Wrighty

25th Jan 14 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The BC's wouldn't bother your average person but kyle's a fucker for noticing rattles and clunks so his car must be OCD level quiet. Tart

will you need all your sus setup again once fitted ?
taylorboosh

25th Jan 14 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
It's not babysitting when it's your own child, I'm pretty sure that's just being "Dad"

Seriously though, I don't put effort into these posts for you to skim read - try harder tomorrow.

Nah babysitting is when its just me and her... Feel bad touching her when i think of it as dad time.
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Jan 14 at 17:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Feel bad touching her when i think of it as dad time.

....moving on

Spent most of today watching it rain, but then as if by magic the sky cleared at about 1400 so I decided to get outside and get a gauge plumbed in.

Plan was to get all of the engine bay wiring in place and hooked up to the gauges, and plumb in the oil pressure sensor.

First job was to cut a flap in my allocated bung:

Then using my coat hanger trick, get the wiring into the cabin...

Next job is to whip the alternator out, to gain access to the OEM oil pressure switch:

Engine was still a bit hot, so decided to sort the interior wiring out before removing the OEM oil pressure switch:

Ran the wiring from the bung in the drivers footwell, up the centre console and out of the top - nice and easy.

OEM Oil pressure switch was a 24mm bolt, my sockets weren't deep enough to properly seat down onto it without fouling the wiring terminal - but luckily managed to just about get it off by having the socket wrench half seated into the socket. Lucky these aren't in tight I guess.

I didn't take any photos of the next few bits, oily hands

I cleaned and PTFE taped up the threads on the OEM switch, and on the new one. Bolted them hand tight into my adaptor block (allows me to run both the gauge sensor and the OEM switch). I then PTFE taped up the adaptor and screwed it into the bung in the engine block.

I'd read a few horror stories of threads being stripped in the engine, so decided to go really gentle and plan on checking for leaks before going any tighter.

In the car, connected the gauges up to their sensor wires and then fired up. Boost Gauge went tits, I'd plugged the oil pressure sensor into it

Swapped the wiring around, then got oil pressure reporting successfully - 6bar cold idle. Ran round to the engine bay, to see the best oil fountain you ever saw

Needless to say, engine cut immediately and saw it coming from where the adapter plugs into the engine. I went to work with a 12mm spanner to torque it up a bit more. Fired up again, fountain again

Upon inspection this time, it seemed like the oil was not coming from where the adaptor connected to the engine, but from a join in the adapter itself. Pissed off that I thought I'd bought a bad part, I started disconnecting everything.

Upon inspection, I found that the adapter was just not "done up" properly None of the threaded parts were tight AT ALL, really should have checked - stoopid boy.

Went inside to clean it all up, and PTFE all the threads. Got it all nipped up nicely and reconnected to the car.

Went to work on cleaning up as much oil as possible with soapy water and a brush - then fired up again.

Bingo! No leaks.

Whipped the alternator back on, tensioned the belt up then finally took a photo.

Annoyingly, the wiring for the OEM pressure switch was REALLY short so I couldn't mount this adapter somewhere neatly with it's bracket, so for now it's cable tied to a vacuum hose. I'll look to extend the OEM pressure switch wiring once I can find a matching terminal connector.

I'm still missing the right size 'T' piece for plumbing in the boost sender, so for now it's bolted in position waiting to go. Completion of the boost gauge is probably a 5min job now.

As for the Oil temperature sensor, the TMIC really needs to come off for access - and light was escaping me, so one for next weekend. For now the temp probe is taped up and wrapped around my brake fluid reservoir to keep it out of the way.

Engine bay doesn't look too messy, even with the oil pressure hosing just stuck there.

Decided that the gauge pod just doesn't fit right, so ordered a new one.

Topped oil up, as I chucked a fair amount on the drive - then just left it idling for a while, always checking for leaks.

Pressure seemed to drop to 3bar, with promise to drop further as it warms up I guess. When revving the engine and driving around the estate, it sat nicely at 6 ish.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Jan 14 at 17:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty
will you need all your sus setup again once fitted ?

Yes, annoyingly. I plan to have a local place give me a printout on my current setup before touching anything. That way, I don't have to make the trip all the way back to Stafford for their top secret settings

In terms of configuring the ride height, corner weighting etc - Need to find either somewhere locally or make the trip to Stafford at somepoint.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Jan 14 at 18:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just took the car out, gentle at first to get everything up to temp - then pulled over to check for leaks and oil level. Other than the engine bay smelling like a Gulf of Mexico seagull, all was well.

Gave the car some beans, Oil Pressure nice and consistent at approx 6.5bar - no variation under WOT.

Drops to 2bar at hot idle, seems to be within acceptable parameters based on my googling.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Brett
Premium Member

27th Jan 14 at 01:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Nah babysitting is when its just me and her... Feel bad touching her when i think of it as dad time.

Such a strange person.

Gauges look ace Kyle

<<  51    52    53    54    55    56    57  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0477970 seconds