corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  52    53    54    55    56    57    58  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
taylorboosh

User status: Offline
27th Jan 14 at 08:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pow
Premium Member

27th Jan 14 at 09:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks good - but I hate the term WOT
RichR
Premium Member

27th Jan 14 at 09:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why? Its a technical term so what's the issue with it Pow?
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

27th Jan 14 at 09:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice Kyle
taylorboosh

27th Jan 14 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wide Open Throttle?

Ben G

27th Jan 14 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whilst opening tampons
Ben G

27th Jan 14 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Whist ogling testicles
3CorsaMeal

27th Jan 14 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wanking Over Turbo
taylorboosh

27th Jan 14 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wank off transexuals
AK

27th Jan 14 at 17:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are you selling?
taylorboosh

27th Jan 14 at 17:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£4k says a few pages back
Kyle T
Premium Member

27th Jan 14 at 20:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
are you selling?

Hell no, title was just a play on words

Lesson of the day today: NEVER claim something is a 5min job until you've done it, and NEVER attempt a "5min job" in the dark...

Got home from work to find my long awaited 'T' piece:

Nice and easy, just pop the vac hose off of my recirc valve... went to pull on it and the fucking thing popped off the inlet manifold at the other end instead The inlet manifold connection was just out of reach - which only meant one thing:

Got my 'T' installed, fit nicely but clipped the smaller hose just in case - as it was softer more pliable rubber.

The boost sender had an old cut-off bit of hose from the old owner, went to remove it... snapped the fucking nipple on the boost sender

Fuck it. Whilst the TMIC was off, it seemed like the perfect opportunity to do the oil temperature gauge so at least I'd achieved something tonight.

The bung above cylinder 3 is round with an allen key slot cut in it, accessible enough with a couple of extensions but MAN it was in tight. I was terrified when applying pressure on my socket wrench, visions of stripped threads in my engine, rounded off allen slot and stuff like that. Eventually after a couple of breaks and walks around the car to destress, with the loudest crack you ever heard - it came loose.

It wasn't torqued in tight, or rusted in - just locktite'ed but one of the scariest bolts I've cracked off to date.

PTFE'd up my replacement bung, and navigated it into position - needed a wobbly extension to get my 22mm socket over it, but got there eventually. Only did it up "slightly tight", then PTFE'd and fitted the sensor itself.

Voila:

I still had an opening in my vac lines thanks to my no longer suitable boost sender, so screwed a bolt into the hose and clipped it until a new sensor arrives (£26 down the shitter).

Final job of course was to refit the TMIC, which as Daymoon knows is THE most frustrating puzzle on the planet. Done it 3 or 4 times now and still no quicker each time. Cannot wait to get a FMIC just so I never have to do this again.

Started the car, mercifully no leaks from the new bung and sensor - then sat and nervously waited for the temp gauge to raise from it's 50 degrees starting point. After 5 nervous minutes, I couldn't take the stress anymore so went for a drive and sure enough within yards of actual driving I reached 51degrees!!

Went out for a reasonable drive, mainly to destress. Car still feels to be boosting fine, so my modified hosing seems to be alright. Temperature eventually reached 90 and stayed there solid.

2 down, 1 to go...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Brett
Premium Member

28th Jan 14 at 09:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anything beyond a boost gauge, I'm out Easier to just pay a pro lol

Good work tho

[Edited on 28-01-2014 by Brett]
3CorsaMeal

28th Jan 14 at 09:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Started to look "molested" under that engine bay imo
Kyle T
Premium Member

28th Jan 14 at 10:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
Started to look "molested" under that engine bay imo

That's one word for it

It needs all tidying up, hopefully without breaking anything and degreasing/hosing down at the weekend. Fucking stinks of oil.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
daymoon
Premium Member

28th Jan 14 at 20:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As soon as I saw that picture of TMIC i started laughing
Kyle T
Premium Member

31st Jan 14 at 17:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

KW's arrived today.

They're scruffy, but no corrosion on the actual units - just cracked finish and rust on the springs.

I can see damage to one of the rears, on a locking ring type thing which surrounds the piston:

I'll get them off to KW as soon as I can find a courier brave enough to take them, I don't think I can drop these off at the corner shop for MyHermes to pick up

Even at the cost of new springs and refurb on all four shocks, these are still a pretty good buy - need to get them turned around ASAP so I can sell the BC's on.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
daymoon
Premium Member

31st Jan 14 at 18:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hermes take up to 15kg. so two parcels should do it
Kyle T
Premium Member

31st Jan 14 at 22:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ace, I'll send them off without top mounts and springs so should be lighter anyway.

If the springs seem fine structurally, what's the best way to tidy them up? Powder Coat?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

1st Feb 14 at 15:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd get them powder coated. Had some callipers done recently and the powder coat is so tough

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
Kyle T
Premium Member

1st Feb 14 at 15:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had the units dismantled this aft', the pistons on the rear units have got a bit of corrosion right near the top, nowhere near to the "travel zone" so not sure if it'll be a problem or not - looks like it could be cleaned up without too much fuss.

Springs seem fine structurally, so will try the powdercoat route before replacing them I reckon.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Wrighty

1st Feb 14 at 16:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how has someone damaged that part of the shock?
Kyle T
Premium Member

1st Feb 14 at 16:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No idea, I thought it might have been broken down by corrosion at first glance - but it seem solid, and the other three struts are fine.

Wonder if it's been dropped whilst off the car or something, can't think of anything on the car which would cause it, other than a crash which would wreck the rest of it too

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
daymoon
Premium Member

1st Feb 14 at 22:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Powder coat the springs.

I suppose it's still best to check the springs to make sure they are up to job?
Corsa_Sport21

2nd Feb 14 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That damaged shock looks like someone has made a half arsed attempt at removing the insert from the shock body. Probably been seized, and not had the correct tool and smashed it with a hammer and chisel, and its taken out the shock body too. Guessing they will be gas and oil filled so probably pretty much fuked now.

<<  52    53    54    55    56    57    58  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0926352 seconds