corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  53    54    55    56    57    58    59  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
2nd Feb 14 at 13:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah that makes sense, can't see how else it has been damaged.

KW gave me some steps to try at home to gauge the health of the units, one of which was to gauge whether the compression and rebound adjustments were making a difference to the shock when compressed and uncompressed accordingly.

Each unit seems to pass that test as far as I can tell, and there is no evidence of liquid or residue escaping from the units. Hopefully that's a good thing, but all speculation really until I get them to KW.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th Feb 14 at 21:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Delayed update from the weekend.

Nice day on Sunday, so I decided to complete the gauge install and get the oily engine bay tidied up. Oh, also fitted the strut brace finally too.

New boost sender in, with one of those inline filter thingies to apparently reduce "wobble" on the gauge needle.

Sprayed the engine bay with Gunk, agitated with a brush then sprayed off. Lovely and clean, almost smells nice too...

The bay is pretty tidy tbh, the boost side of things you can't see at all, or the oil temp - the only thing visible is the oil pressure sender stuff which is resting on the inlet manifold just next to the throttle cable.

I decided against the red/black paintjob on the strutbrace, instead going simply for black ends and keeping the bar polished. I think it looks smart.

It was too nice a day not to clean the car, so gave it a well overdue wash and obligatory ride out - love the way this colour cleans up, I say it every time

New gauge pod in, and all finally plumbed in. Phone is terrible at dark photo's, but you get the idea.

On the coilover front, I spoke to KW - the coilovers I've got are an older generation, so there are quite a few technology updates available too. Will increase the cost if I go for it, but need them to inspect them properly before finding out the total cost of this wee project.

Hope to send them off Thursday.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

4th Feb 14 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks so good. Engine bay looks painfully tight

You got a scuff on the front bumper n/s at the bottom?
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th Feb 14 at 21:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Engine bay is so tight, remember that catch-can I bought? Sold the fucker on as there's just no room for it Going FMIC should free me up a load of space at the back.

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
You got a scuff on the front bumper n/s at the bottom?

Yep, matching one at the other side too from when the car was lowloaded after the radiator blew up Took the splitter off, but not the winglet thingies. As I later found, a couple more bolts would have had those off too

Tis' on the list to sort, worry not!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Simon_16v

4th Feb 14 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Scuff is from when it when on the low loader when the 'head gasket' went
Simon_16v

4th Feb 14 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyway where is the photo of the local Subaru owners club that I was promised?
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th Feb 14 at 22:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Forgot to take any... it was a generic Jap meet anyway. Jim was supposed to be taking his fancy camera, but he never showed up - missus went missing or something

Quite a good turn out considering how cold it was, my car getting the lions' share of admiration as usual

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
neil h

5th Feb 14 at 12:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What tyres you runnin? My rears need replacing and I'd quite like Yokohama AD08s but no one can see to tell me if i need to worry about the lower speed rating.
Kyle T
Premium Member

5th Feb 14 at 12:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Currently Uniroyal rainsports and Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta 2's.

I've had each set on the front at some point, the Vredesteins feel much better.

Use R888s on my "track" wheels, far too noisy/expensive/crap in the wet for daily use tho!

Simon @ Chevron heavily recommended the AD08s, I think I'll consider them next.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
neil h

5th Feb 14 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do you find the Vredensteins?

Problem with the AD08s is the speed/load ratings don't match the standard tyres. I'm not sure it's enough to be worth worrying about (the speed rating is still above the top speed of my car) but the load is a little bit more complicated.
BeetleGav

5th Feb 14 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Love my vredestiens
Kyle T
Premium Member

5th Feb 14 at 14:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think the Vreds' are fantastic to be honest. This car has seen Continental Sport Contact 3's, Vreds' and Rainsports in my ownership.

The Conti's were at the end of their life when I got the car, and were still probably the best of the bunch - but the Vred's are a very very close second.

I'm factoring in noise, grip and resistance to tramlining.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
daymoon
Premium Member

5th Feb 14 at 21:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you make an index page of what is on which page please?

Just spent 15 minutes searching for BC Coilover install....

Kyle T
Premium Member

6th Feb 14 at 09:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If I indexed this thread, I'd work out how much I've spent and would sell the car in a fit of rage

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Christopher

6th Feb 14 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Always cleans up so well kyle Not a huge fan of subarus because majority of them are owned by chavs who wreck them, much like corsas however every now and then you do get the chance to see lovely examples and this is certainly one of them! Think il have a go with that gunk stuff, brings the engine bay up well!
daymoon
Premium Member

6th Feb 14 at 19:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
If I indexed this thread, I'd work out how much I've spent and would sell the car in a fit of rage

Similar to my thoughts after going through 27 pages before I found the coilovers bit

I wish this weather would do one. want to install my coilovers!
Kyle T
Premium Member

6th Feb 14 at 21:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Christopher
Always cleans up so well kyle Not a huge fan of subarus because majority of them are owned by chavs who wreck them, much like corsas however every now and then you do get the chance to see lovely examples and this is certainly one of them! Think il have a go with that gunk stuff, brings the engine bay up well!

Cheers Chris.

My Black bits in the engine bay went a bit white after the gunk, but a wipe down with Aerospace 303 Protectant restored them back again.

Some more terribad night pictures of my switch install for the gauges.

Stealth

Sticky pads used on the switches suck balls, so need to look out for some better stuff.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
djgritt
Premium Member

6th Feb 14 at 21:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Sticky pads used on the switches suck balls, so need to look out for some better stuff.

Probably because of all the cleaning shite you use on everything!

My switch block is stuck to the Gauge Pod using the sticky pad that came with the Gauge, and it's not fallen off atall, even with frequent use...
Kyle T
Premium Member

6th Feb 14 at 21:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be honest, I've set the peak/warn settings on all gauges now so will probably never touch the switches again

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
daymoon
Premium Member

9th Feb 14 at 18:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Did you break anything this weekend?
Kyle T
Premium Member

9th Feb 14 at 19:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope, in a fucked up set of circumstances I just drove the car without pissing around with it

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

11th Feb 14 at 20:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got the KW's shipped off today at last. £35 to post the buggers

No idea what to expect in terms of timescales now, getting excited though - read sooooo many good reviews about these coilovers, I wish I did the same research before buying the BC's

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Simon_16v

11th Feb 14 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My brother is looking at buying a 197 with these KW coilovers
daymoon
Premium Member

11th Feb 14 at 20:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I wish I did the same research before buying the BC's

You say that after I bought a set!
craig8
Premium Member

11th Feb 14 at 21:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by daymoon
quote:
I wish I did the same research before buying the BC's

You say that after I bought a set!

You were advised to get the HSD's

E36 328

<<  53    54    55    56    57    58    59  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0273950 seconds