corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Talk me out of buying a CTR

New Poll
  <<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Talk me out of buying a CTR
Jambo

User status: Offline
4th Nov 06 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have no doubt in theior techincal ability, im sure having driven one i would agree it was an excellent FWD hatch and good buy for the money....

The reason i dislike them is this, i have seen one. It is hideous. The facelift one even moreso. This is why it inherrited its breadvan name, becuase it looks like a breadvan.
The other reason is its the new saxo VTR, they had one for 3 or 4 years, stuck the kit on it then all grown up with some NCB went out and purchased the max power favourite Type R.
It is not technically a proper type R as the philosophy from the previous one was compkletely standard civic interior with red seats, no frills just awesome power and fun. This is a marketing tool.

The reason everyone likes integra's and s2000's are they are pretty cars and great performers and are usually not driven by torn jean pink shirt mullet toting barry's. Who chat absoloute bollox about vtec.

Honda'a are reliable cars, but as mentioned the myth that they are super reliable and not one has gone wrong is abit like vauxhall claiming they havent had any problems with the cylinder heads on the astra vxr, which they probably havent.

If its your thing then go for it, they arent bad cars. Just a bit gaudy for some and not got a great image, but then neither has a sapphire cosworth sierra or a cavalier turbo, still great cars though.

I say go for it and take the anti CTR banter with a smile
Rob H

4th Nov 06 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As has been said, go test drive one. I know when my mate got his, i was surprised how well it pulled without the need to rev it hard after hearing all the BS about having a lack of torque etc.

As your looking for economy, they're a good trade off. Because you have to work the engine hard to gain the power, its easy to get decent MPG's by keeping it to low revs. With a turbo, as soon as the boost kicks in - as low as 2krpm- the engine then has to fuel to match the boost, hence the reason why they pull so much better, but also the reason they use so much fuel.

The way i see it, when you're gunning it, you have to work the gearbox in any car to make it move as quick as possible!

Only one negative points with the car are shit seats that don't go back to where you put them, and even though it'd six speed, it's geared for the 8krpm limit, so is noisy on motorways at around 80, doing about 4krpm.

[Edited on 04-11-2006 by Rob H]
WATSON

4th Nov 06 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nothing wrong with a CTR good cars and look good I would go for the ITR tho

Engines can take a good hammer and last for AGESSSS

antscorsa

4th Nov 06 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but the ek9 type-r is not rea;ly in the same league as the ep3 CTR, it was never sold in any country other than japan.
im still yet to see the breadvan copnnection espeicaly as the new astra has pretty much copied the exacat silouette!
must admit the image is bad but always will be when a car that is really good performer for the money comes out
Steve
Premium Member

4th Nov 06 at 18:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob H
As has been said, go test drive one. I know when my mate got his, i was surprised how well it pulled without the need to rev it hard after hearing all the BS about having a lack of torque etc.

As your looking for economy, they're a good trade off. Because you have to work the engine hard to gain the power, its easy to get decent MPG's by keeping it to low revs. With a turbo, as soon as the boost kicks in - as low as 2krpm- the engine then has to fuel to match the boost, hence the reason why they pull so much better, but also the reason they use so much fuel.

The way i see it, when you're gunning it, you have to work the gearbox in any car to make it move as quick as possible!

Only one negative points with the car are shit seats that don't go back to where you put them, and even though it'd six speed, it's geared for the 8krpm limit, so is noisy on motorways at around 80, doing about 4krpm.

[Edited on 04-11-2006 by Rob H]

i think your the king of talking crap TBH.

A) you say you were impressed with the way you didnt have to rev it, then you say that its good because you have to work it hard to gain power. Contradiction?

B) you say that with a turbo it kicks in at 2k, again thats crap, yes it kicks in if your giving it some poke but i could be at 5k without the turbo coming in if im not planting it.

C) I have driven a CTR and i noticed the lack of torque. I couldnt put up with uit, have you driven cars with decent torque levels?

[Edited on 04-11-2006 by Steve]
Marc

4th Nov 06 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Meow.
CORSA NUT

4th Nov 06 at 18:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right guys just an update...

Went to my local Honda today (2Mills) and had a good look around.Sat in the Silver 03 plate i went to look at and i loved it Driving position was really good and the car felt a lot smaller inside than i thought it would! Also not as big outside when you get up close

BUT i never drove it.I didn't wan't to mess the salesman guy around as it was WAY overpriced at £12999 so i just went to look.

Going to a really good garage tommorow that has 2 in so will bag a drive then.

Went to view an Astra GSI too and just didn't feel as special as the Type R did Just felt like my old astra's but with more pull! Even sitting in the Type R gave me that nice feeling you get when you know a car is the one Can't wait to drive one

Some good opinions coming in here guys thanks!

I here what your saying to Steve but i personally don't like the way your car looks even though it might have a nice engine.Albeit the same engine that's in a hundred other cars with a different badge
City

4th Nov 06 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what a midly quick family shopping car
CORSA NUT

4th Nov 06 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's no way i'd call it a FAMILY car You couldn't fit more than 2 adults in the back and they ain't as big as you think!
City

4th Nov 06 at 19:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by City
what a midly quick family shopping car

5 door taxi then?
antscorsa

4th Nov 06 at 19:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

midly quick more like one of the quickest family hatches around!!! and N/A
City

4th Nov 06 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by antscorsa
midly quick more like one of the quickest family hatches around!!! and N/A

its a turbo
antscorsa

4th Nov 06 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im talking about the CTR
CORSA NUT

4th Nov 06 at 19:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So say a UK scooby was a 4 door and and only 215 bhp but a Civic Type R with 2 doors and 200 BHP is considered a shopping trolley??!

And i'd hardly call them the new saxo FFS you don't get free insurance AND they don't fall to bits AND the saxo didn't cost 17K when new.

I'm going to buy one just to piss you all off
Steve
Premium Member

4th Nov 06 at 20:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i never mentioned looks in this whole thread?

i dont like the way the ctr drives.

plus at least every other driver in a leon isnt a tosser
Steve
Premium Member

4th Nov 06 at 20:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
I here what your saying to Steve but i personally don't like the way your car looks even though it might have a nice engine.Albeit the same engine that's in a hundred other cars with a different badge

oh dear youve only just sat in a CTR and your already acting a tosser
rubbing off already

if you knew anything about leons youd know that whilst the shell may be very similar to other leons, thats about it, totally different suspension, brakes etc.

the fact it looks nothing special from the outside is just up my street just seeing the faces of CTR drivers when they get beat

and im sorry but my interior is well ahead of ctr's, but if shiney black plastic and tacky silver trim is your thing so be it. Im more of a quality, not halfords sprayed bits type of man

CORSA NUT

4th Nov 06 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
i never mentioned looks in this whole thread?

i dont like the way the ctr drives.

plus at least every other driver in a leon isnt a tosser

My comment wasn't directed at you.
Steve
Premium Member

4th Nov 06 at 20:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats your reason for buying a new car? is it something you want to match your scooby? or is it for other reason?
CORSA NUT

4th Nov 06 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

oh dear youve only just sat in a CTR and your already acting a tosser
rubbing off already

if you knew anything about leons youd know that whilst the shell may be very similar to other leons, thats about it, totally different suspension, brakes etc.

the fact it looks nothing special from the outside is just up my street just seeing the faces of CTR drivers when they get beat

and im sorry but my interior is well ahead of ctr's, but if shiney black plastic and tacky silver trim is your thing so be it. Im more of a quality, not halfords sprayed bits type of man

Your car is modifed..the CTR's you have raced probably are not.

And as for the interior etc there jack shit wrong with the Civics! FFS i've owned and Audi A3 Turbo i know what i'm loooking at.

And to be honest i love the looks of the CTR and want a car that looks nice, not one that i can say..'Yeah it looks boring but has blah blah BHP honest it's a really good car!'
CORSA NUT

4th Nov 06 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
whats your reason for buying a new car? is it something you want to match your scooby? or is it for other reason?

Bring my insurance..Fuel..and most of all one that a car that won't be breaking gearbox's and me thinking it's going to blow up every 5 minutes.
Steve
Premium Member

4th Nov 06 at 20:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

spend £500 on a civic and make is as fast then
CORSA NUT

4th Nov 06 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your car isn't fast..my scooby was fast... your car is 'Quick' and the power delivery is probably as flat as a board just like my Audi's was.
Steve
Premium Member

4th Nov 06 at 20:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whatever mine is your CTR will be slower

what type ws your impreza? if it was a uk spec boggo it wouldnt have been any faster than mine maybe in 1st as traction is my achilles heel

Steve
Premium Member

4th Nov 06 at 20:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

to me by getting a CTR your not getting it because you want to bring insurance down etc. your starting to want something like your impreza, which obviously it wont be.

Your best bet was the Fabia if you wanted something a little more sensible IMO
Steve
Premium Member

4th Nov 06 at 20:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Your car isn't fast..my scooby was fast... your car is 'Quick' and the power delivery is probably as flat as a board just like my Audi's was.

ask any racer, any real racer and they will tell you a remap totally changes the cars drivability on the vags, yours was probably 150bhp, if mine was 150bhp i would think it was shit

<<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Talk me out of buying a CTR 22 database queries in 0.0201621 seconds