corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Are you a homeowner?

Poll: Are you a homeowner?
  Yes
  No
  No but I rent/lodge

New Poll
  <<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Are you a homeowner?
Half Pint

User status: Offline
2nd Feb 10 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad
quote:
Originally posted by Half Pint
Double D's

Daimo,

we are acutally probably the same as you the house in its current form is too small but after some investment it will be a good size 3 bed house to support / raise a family and i cannot see us needing or wanting to move.

especially with the costs associated within moving which are just sunk costs it makes sense to keep moves to a minimum and when we go to a one person income i need to be able to sustain the house hold.

What did you end up buying Monkeh?

We got a 2 bed house in Sidcup, with the all important garage.

the main thing was stayng close to london for the commute
Daimo B

2nd Feb 10 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
especially with the costs associated within moving which are just sunk costs it makes sense to keep moves to a minimum and when we go to a one person income i need to be able to sustain the house hold.

I know, excellent, double D's. The perfect size

Ours is a nice size, i've not got room for an extension (already has one downstairs).

As you say, its the moving, hiring vans, surveyors, reports, solictors, its just rediculas. You need £5k-£10k just for the fee's associated with it.

I may be a post whoare and do a picture post in House day Im deffo no snob, but im really really happy with our crib, despite needing some modernisation, in most rooms

Donna works in Sidcup, where abouts are you?

[Edited on 02-02-2010 by VXR]
Fad

2nd Feb 10 at 16:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds perfect mate

Would be ideal as an investment to retain and build equity in for future purchases?
Ojc

2nd Feb 10 at 16:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They have a DFS in Sidcup.
Half Pint

2nd Feb 10 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

anout 5 minutes from sidcup station heading towards Blackfen (mitchell's old house)

well we decorated 4 rooms before moving in and am doing the hallway next week, its not perfect but definately in a state which we can happily live.

don't want to do too much as it will all get pulled about if/when the extensions start.
Half Pint

2nd Feb 10 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
They have a DFS in Sidcup.

indeed they do Ollie, will i fid you there soon for some Dogging....
Half Pint

2nd Feb 10 at 16:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fad
Sounds perfect mate

Would be ideal as an investment to retain and build equity in for future purchases?

definately a possibility, all depends on finances and how much of a risk i am prepared to take, i know you can make some real gains but also know it carries alot of stress and i am one of the worst people to worry about money now

Daimo B

2nd Feb 10 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
anout 5 minutes from sidcup station heading towards Blackfen (mitchell's old house)

Ahh the other way.

Chuck a right atthe T junction, past the schools on your left, to the Roundabout and chuck a left/straight on area?

Thats acutally a nice run into town. We considered moving up that way, but the property price difference between there/dartford/wilmington/hextable and gravesend was immense.

We settled for the extra miles/time to work for a bigger house.

But as people have said, its about what your happy to compromise on. I'd have probably still be up town if i'd have moved to Darford and closer.

Thats where everyone is different.
Daimo B

2nd Feb 10 at 16:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
but also know it carries alot of stress and i am one of the worst people to worry about money now

We really should hook up. Marrage set in heavenly skintflintness
Fad

2nd Feb 10 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Fad
Sounds perfect mate

definately a possibility, all depends on finances and how much of a risk i am prepared to take, i know you can make some real gains but also know it carries alot of stress and i am one of the worst people to worry about money now

Yeah this is why I settled all my debt when I got made redundant and put hold on joining the property market. Maybe in a couple of years time when I am back in industry.

Tis been a while Tony didnt know you had moved
Daimo B

2nd Feb 10 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought you was in construction now Fad?
Ojc

2nd Feb 10 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brick layer.
Fad

2nd Feb 10 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was but got made redundant just before xmas so just working a couple of part time jobs whilst I finish my Post grad course. Job hunting on the side in the hope someone offers me a training contract.

Tis quite a juggle atm especiially as I am still recovering from surgery.
Half Pint

2nd Feb 10 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Surgery,

stiched your ass after the festive fun.

Though you knew i had taken the jump, got the keys on the 7th August and not looked back.

as for the compromise, indeed it was a big sticking point around how we tick as many boxes as possible as still get what we wanted... is an extremely hard balance.

its been too long for all of us, probably need a catch up for lunch one sunday so you can all meet mia-moo mitchell.... she is lovely!

BBQ at the micthells it is (guess we'd better tell lee!)
Daimo B

2nd Feb 10 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That sounds like a plan. Invade Lee's house.

Not seen his little lass yet, mind you, not seen the banana in quite a while either. Probably white with dust now.
Danny P

2nd Feb 10 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
I guess to get into the mentality of saving for a mortgage deposit, you have to save as much as it would cost to run that house i.e. mortgage, council tax, food & bills.

Thats what im doing at the moment. I could pay a mortage with ease, and have loads left over for myself. However when you filter in bills, food etc that money soon become a much lower amount.

I've been trying to live off what I would have spare after paying out everything I would if I had my own place for the past few months and now i've got used to it so think I could cope. I've not really missed out on anything either, just been sensible and made my money go futher by not buying a load of shite.

Really helped me put things in perspective on just how much it does cost to run a house though, never thought it would be as much as it is!!
J da Silva

2nd Feb 10 at 21:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There is nothing better than your own space so for anyone who has never experienced it, I can't stress enough the liberation.

Plus when I come home and the kids are at nursery, I'm greeted by missus da silva naked in the living room * hubba hubba *
CORSA NUT

2nd Feb 10 at 22:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Owning your own home just means you get fucked up the arse even more

Wish i still lived back home TBH was loaded then!
VegasPhil
Premium Member

2nd Feb 10 at 22:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm a homeowner

Corsa 2.0 16v Vegas - Sold
Cole

2nd Feb 10 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i live in a council house and i dont care about being on the ladder i have what i want my kids get what they want if i got a mortage down here a 1 bed flat is 100k+ and ive got 3 kids so would need at least a 3 bed which is 200k+ and me and the missus both work but she is only 16hrs a week so no way could we afford a mortage or even save for a deposit i am happy where i am plus if we do decide to buy at somepoint i will by the council house i am in i would get 60% off as my missus has lived here for nearly 15 yrs i would like to buy my mums council house next door as they have lived in it for over 25yrs so in theory i could buy 2 houses for the price of one

(sorry for no grammar i am shit at it lol)

[Edited on 02-02-2010 by Cole]
Paul_J

2nd Feb 10 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ohhhh dear...

Guy at work today had an annoucement and a half.

He's going out with a woman who had 1 kid by another father. Recently he's fathered a child himself with her. She's on benefits and lives in a benefits house.

As such he lives with his parents and can only stay at hers 3 nights a week (so not to breach the benefits contract... since he's earning).

... He's been looking to get a place with her for the kids etc... Fair play. But I've been strongly urging him to consider saving up before making the move and trying to go straight into a mortgage rather than rent. If he did rent I'd expect him to rent somewhere small and cheap for the time being (both children are small, one is like 3 months and one is like 3 years)...

Note, he probably earns same or less than me... Also note I struggle paying my rent on a relatively cheap property etc.

The conversation went like this:

Him: 'Yes, I've got a house! Move in on the 20th!'

Me: 'Wow? You buying? .... Mortgage?'

Him: 'No can't afford a deposit'.

Me: 'Oh damn, what sorta house is it'

Him: '4 bedroom detached house.'

Me

Him: 'Yeah I want the space. It's perfect for us'

Me: 'How much is the rent per month?'

Him: £1250

£1250 rent.
no doubt £200-£250 council tax.
Bills etc ~ £100-£150
Food for 4 £200-£300

+ His current car is on finance probably around £200-£300 a month.

£2250 ish out goings a month, not including any luxuries or other things that have to be boughts

W.T.F.

He clearly hasn't done his sums correctly. I'm fairly sure that's all gonna cost a fair bit over his take home pay ... hell I forgot his petrol ... add on another £100-£200 a month.

I think he's been living at home his life getting it easy with his parents and doesn't realise how much it's gonna cost.

Will be .... VERY interesting to see how he reacts the next few months.
J da Silva

2nd Feb 10 at 23:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Paul would your mate not get help from the state aswell?
micra_pete
Premium Member

2nd Feb 10 at 23:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, have been since i was 19 (nearly 10 years)

nothing better than having your own home.
Paul_J

2nd Feb 10 at 23:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by J da Silva
Paul would your mate not get help from the state aswell?

Maybe, I have no idea how this benefits lark works.
Andrew

2nd Feb 10 at 23:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol, that is going to be intresting Paul..

<<  3    4    5    6    7    8    9  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Are you a homeowner? 23 database queries in 0.0154560 seconds