corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Skiers/Boarders

New Poll
  <<  3    4    5    6    7  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Skiers/Boarders
Ellis

User status: Offline
7th Mar 14 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RichR
quote:
Originally posted by Ellis
quote:
quote:
A few images from Mayrhofen / Tirol area last week...

Unfortunately where my friend snowboarding in first picture fractured his spine

A friend of mine broke her L1 (?) Vertabrae last week in VT; got helicoptered to Grenoble and was in the room next to Schumacher. Dangerous things these snowboards!

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/carimages/10386/hannah_01.jpg

Ouch. We thankfully managed to get our friend onto a stretcher after a period of time. Does the lift pass cover you for helicopter rescue or does travel insurance have to kick in there?

Lift pass doesn't normally cover helicopter, that's covered by insurance, however, many don't cover you for off-piste recovery even if you have cover for off-piste so you can get hit with bills for several thousand euros.

She lives out there and works for a UK based company so her insurance was covered by her employers.

Right I didn't know that - good to know for the future.

I checked my policy before my latest trip away and confirmed I did not in fact have off-piste insurance. Will definitely upgrade for next year.
Rob_Quads

7th Mar 14 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah you have to be careful of the whole off piste on piste in Europe.

So much better in America / Canada where you have in and out of bounds (without of bounds being proper outside the bounds of the mountain)

If you are any sort of decent level skier/snowboarder make sure you have off-piste cover. Often get the best policies through the Ski/snowboard clus
Ellis

7th Mar 14 at 12:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've checked the small print again in my insurance policy (covered through my bank account). Says I am covered for off-piste activities provided I am with a guide so will have to think twice about skirting off the side of run unless I stay within crawling distance.

Need to experience North America for skiing, the freedom must be amazing knowing you are covered provided you stay within the area. Feels all a bit confined skiing in Europe with the, sometimes narrow, marked pistes.
ed

7th Mar 14 at 12:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you ask for a Carte Neige when buying your pass then you get recovery from the hill if you need it. If you do it through insurance then the recovery dudes usually want cash on delivery which you claim back from your insurance company later.

Europe is much better for exploring, you're in a national park where you got where you like. In the US and Canada you're on private property where you go where you're told. You're also in a country where people shoot trespassers first and ask questions later.
RichR
Premium Member

7th Mar 14 at 13:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does a Carte Neige cost anything? not heard of one before and does it only cover sled recovery rather than helicopter?
Ellis

7th Mar 14 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
If you ask for a Carte Neige when buying your pass then you get recovery from the hill if you need it. If you do it through insurance then the recovery dudes usually want cash on delivery which you claim back from your insurance company later.

Europe is much better for exploring, you're in a national park where you got where you like. In the US and Canada you're on private property where you go where you're told. You're also in a country where people shoot trespassers first and ask questions later.

Interesting. Will have to look out for 'Carte Neige'. I am assuming however that is a French term, do the Austrians have a similar concept?
RichR
Premium Member

7th Mar 14 at 13:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is the Carte Neige the insurance that your offered when you buy a lift pass? I'd always assumed that that was in case you lost your pass.
Rob_Quads

7th Mar 14 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
You're also in a country where people shoot trespassers first and ask questions later.

Seriously? People get shot all the time by land owners in Ski resorts in the US/ Canada

The parks in france are so free and open that if you get paid to host a party and happen to teach someone to ski you risk prison!

[Edited on 07-03-2014 by Rob_Quads]
CorsAsh

8th Mar 14 at 20:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ed

Interesting. Will have to look out for 'Carte Neige'. I am assuming however that is a French term, do the Austrians have a similar concept?

It's called "Personen-Bergung" or "Berg-Rettung" in Germany/Austria. I'm insured through the ADAC, you could check them out. They offer varying scales of insurance including "Begleitung" which covers the cost of someone staying with you in hospital or accompanying you home. I pay less than 20 Euros a year for mine. Seems to be that you have to be Germany-resident for them to cover you though.
ed

8th Mar 14 at 20:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Is the Carte Neige the insurance that your offered when you buy a lift pass? I'd always assumed that that was in case you lost your pass.

I'm not sure if it's the same thing as that, I thought it was just a policy to get you off the hill and keep your credit card balance in check. Here are some deets:

http://www.natives.co.uk/holiday/the-lowdown-on-carte-neige-insurance/3994
ed

8th Mar 14 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
quote:
Originally posted by ed
You're also in a country where people shoot trespassers first and ask questions later.

Seriously? People get shot all the time by land owners in Ski resorts in the US/ Canada

The parks in france are so free and open that if you get paid to host a party and happen to teach someone to ski you risk prison!

[Edited on 07-03-2014 by Rob_Quads]

It's certainly not unheard of for people to get threatened for trespassing when going out into the back country in the States. It doesn't really happen when you're resort skiing as you're in the 'area'. Was just trying to make the point that Europe has much more of a no fucks given attitude as you're in a national park and can go where you please.
Rob_Quads

8th Mar 14 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go skiing on a random hill away from resorts in europe and you are liable to be threatened too.

Canada doesn't really have the concept of off-piste. Your either in-bounds or out-bounds. As long as your inbounds your deemed to be doing nothing wrong. Off piste in canada normally involves a cat or hell lol

In europe you go on a small patch of snow between two runs only a few meters from a marked run and your 'off piste' and frowned upon - just look at the press around Schumachers crash.
R Lee

12th Mar 14 at 11:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been reading this thread for I have also decided to have a dabble at snowboarding.
In the past months, I've had a taster session and beginners lessons at, Chill Factore, Manchester.

Orbbo, I'm in the same boat as you. Just buying my gear now in the sales. To be honest, buying online seems to be quite dodgy for a n00b. I think you need to go to a proper shop to try everything on beforehand. Sizes vary so much. What you think is the right size, is totally wrong in real life. Ended up trying on 4 different sizes of salopettes, various sizes of jackets, gloves, and most importantly as mentioned, boots. Ended up walking around the shop with loads of different boots to get the feel of them. I also like to splash out on decent shit but, actually ended up with the cheapest pair of boots! The salesman couldn't stress enough, for a n00b, it's all about comfort rather than fancy stuff. He even recommended me to see a podiatrist to check my feet before the snow so I don't fuck up my knees in the long term.

Anyway, I have a couple of questions for the veteran tray sliders.
Bindings, is there much difference in them, Who sets them up?
Also, Gullwing boards. I've been recommended to try these because they are great for beginners and are "the future". Anybody have any input?
Robbo

12th Mar 14 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Penguin

How have you found the lessons?

I've been exactly the same with the gear, I've been to a few of the Snow+Rock and EB stores + a few other smaller ones to check out various bits of kit/try on innumerate jackets/pants/boots etc. then picked most of them up in the sales online from a variety of different large and small online shops/eBay shops etc. Got some wicked bargains actually, 50% of Forcefield limb tube knee protectors and 25% of Forcefield impact shorts (both in Snow+Rock in Covent Gdn of all places!) and £120 off Nike boots, jacket and pants which I'd tried on in EBs and picked up through a few diff sites

Only thing I took a gamble on was the Level biomex gloves as enough people on here/thru various google searches recommended them and they certainly seem good (and exceedijngly warm!)

R Lee

12th Mar 14 at 11:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I found the lessons to be good and bad.
Good, because it's so much fun.
Bad, because it makes you want to go and book a holiday right now

Enjoying myself, slowly picking up techniques. Hopefully I won't have forgotten it all by the time I go out on a mountain. Ass hurts so much after falling. Coccyx protector, yes please.
Robbo

12th Mar 14 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats partly why I waited until the end of season to go that plus the olynmpics gave me a good gee up

I got these impact shorts (http://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/V/Forcefield_BOARD_SHORT_Impact_Shorts_M_Black-(29812) ) after strugglign with the rigidity of the ones with full thigh support etc., hopefully theyll be good... i figure im only go fall on my butt or forwards and have good knee and wriust guards for that

[Edited on 12-03-2014 by Robbo]
RichR
Premium Member

12th Mar 14 at 13:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bindings may not look all that different but they really are, however, the only thing I would recommend to a beginner is to buy one with toe caps - the cup style ones that fit over your toes. They were once described to me as like having power steering fitted to your board when compared to traditional style bindings as the binding pulls your feet both down into the baseplate and back into the heel cup.

I would avoid Flow bindings like the plague but consider K2 Cinch only because they are much quicker to enter/exit than traditional bindings and they save you having to sit down to put them on. That's not much of an issue once you're progressing but sitting down/standing up takes so much time as a beginner.

I personally have two sets of Union bindings; Contact pros and Atlas. Oh, and a set of Burton Missions which were the first set I bought.

[Edited on 12-03-2014 by RichR]
RichR
Premium Member

12th Mar 14 at 13:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine and my missus' boards - missing my Jib Stick and Union Atlas set up.
Robbo

12th Mar 14 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

personally not planning on investing in a board until ive got sdome actual resort time down as they arent cheap, they seem quite complicated to purchase and also sod havign to pay to have them transported around in the beginning im so tight id probs wear my boots on the plane
RichR
Premium Member

12th Mar 14 at 14:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We tend to drive which is fine until the car you travel down in breaks down and you end up flying back, leaving the car in a garage in Chamonix and because you were in a car, you didn't have board bags and took more stuff than you would have had you have been flying in the first instance.....

I'm a bit sore because whilst in Chamonix, my mate, the owner of the car we travelled down in decided the driveway of the chalet with 6" of snow underneath would be the optimum place to strip the clutch down of a car which you can't buy spares for in France....
Robbo

12th Mar 14 at 14:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oops... how is it driving to resorts? Presumably you need winter tyres and chains for once you get close? I guess if theres a few of you it works well wrt kit etc.
RichR
Premium Member

12th Mar 14 at 14:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We're going in Beth's TT on 21st March to VT. No winter tyres and we have a set of AutoSocks in. The benefit is that aside from what will physically fit in the car, you're not limited to baggage weight/size etc.

With two or more in the car it works out cheaper than any other method, 9hours (roughly) from Calais to the Alps. For Chamonix, flying to Geneva is probably the easiest way but the train is a nightmare, driving is fine. For the three valleys, the train is easy, flying is a nightmare (3hours+ transfer) and again driving is fine.

Very much depends on where and when you're going.
Rob_Quads

12th Mar 14 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We've generally found that getting the last minute deals with the likes of Skiworld/Crystal is the best value, specially when its half board and you get all your cooking done for you.

Looked into driving a couple times but the numbers didn't add up to make it worth while. Considering it next year for taking our boys as we can fill the roof box but will wait and see
CorsAsh

12th Mar 14 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Regards bindings, I have Burton Missions. They have the toe cups which I find much more comfortable than the over-the-foot ones. Quite stiff too in combination with my board so you get quite a snappy response. I personally like that more than a "buttery" feeling.

In terms of boards and board types, flying Vs etc, I am of the opinion its best to get a plain normal camber board to begin with. Learn to snowboard on that and progress to something else when you need it and understand how it will affect the way you ride. Some board styles can allow you to develop bad habits more easily, plus the boards you've rented and learnt on are very likely to be the most basic in terms of their technology and cut.
Robbo

7th May 14 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Update:

I did my snowboard in a day course which was great but absolutely knackering (as more than a few of you said ha). I went back about 10 days later to re-do the last hour of it when we went on the main slope as by then I was exhausted and struggled with a few aspects of it. Following that, I was ready for the "main slope ready" lesson; completing that certifies you as a recreational skier/boarder and allows you to use the main slope as and when you like.

I was concerned about a few aspects of my performance in the first few sessions (partly linked to my rickety old knees) so I booked a private lesson in the morning and the main slope ready lesson in the afternoon. The instructor I got for the private lesson was head and shoulders above the others and actually felt like a proper instructor rather than a proficient boarder trying to make money of his hobby; consequently he had my stance, turning and positioning sorted within about 15-20 mins so we ventured straight onto the main slope and he signed me off for the main slope during that so we swapped my afternoon lesson for just a standard lift pass and I just practiced on my own for a few hours, until I got knackered ha. Was well pleased and feel much more confident now, going back again in a fortnight on my own for 3 hours one evening and then again 3 weeks after that for a day with a friend who's an extremely good boarder so he will play around for a bit and also help me a little before I then go back for the first 'advanced' part of the training http://vimeo.com/45056949 it works on doing more controlled sweeping movements and introduces switch (though I'm relatively confident with switch as we did some work to determine whether I was regular or goofy (regular). If that goes well then ill do a few more sessions on my own again before doing the final part of the training http://vimeo.com/45056950

By then it'll be almost winter and time to actually get out on the slopes Then hopefully early next year Ill get back to the centre and do some of the introductory freestyle sessions!

<<  3    4    5    6    7  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Skiers/Boarders 22 database queries in 0.0209610 seconds