corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  57    58    59    60    61    62    63  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
30th Mar 14 at 19:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got baffle plate in and fitted, not blown my engine up yet - so I guess it's working

I'd been considering options for a new backbox for a while, mainly since my mapper mentioned the prodrive one being very restrictive. I felt my options were quite limited, as I'm nervous about exceeding 105db and a few of the popular choices are LOUD. I had it narrowed down to a couple though, and ended up going for a TSL Group N one which came up on eBay.

It doesn't look much here, but it tidied up nicely with a bit of help from Autosol.

Aesthetically it's very similar to the prodrive one, which I like.

New left, old right:

It sounds SO much better, not so much just sat revving on the drive but when driving around it sounds a hundred times better, but according to an iPhone app it's critically no louder. Hopefully the Javelin detectors agree on tuesday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvTBL8MuXGc&feature=youtu.be

Next to do at the weekend was a bit of track prep ready for Tuesday, pretty much just wheel swap and swapping out my generic kevlar brake pads for my Carbone Lorraine RC5+s.

I noticed when swapping out the brake pads that my piston seals were looking a bit (very) tired. Didn't get a photo as my hands were filthy, but need to keep an eye on those and consider stripping and tidying up the calipers at some point.

Brake pads needed bedding in, they were terrible initially - uneven bite on each corner and all sorts of lockups/ABS drama, impossible to apply progressively but after 12-15 80mph-20mph "stops", it seems like some pad material transferred onto the disks and they're now much better - so much more stopping power than with my kevlars, just a bit noisy/dirty for road use!

Tweaked my camera mount for a GoPro which a friend is very kindly lending for tuesday, will probably buy one when I'm in the US so this will be a good demo hopefully.

All cleaned up, ready to go...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
pow
Premium Member

30th Mar 14 at 19:07   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Crying out for black pillars and headlining
BeetleGav

30th Mar 14 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds great that! think i have a subaru itch that needs scratching!
they reliable though? seem to be some expensive things to go wrong.
also mods seem pricey
Wrighty

30th Mar 14 at 19:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

love it in track mode looks a lot better
chris_uk
Premium Member

30th Mar 14 at 19:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Where u going?
Kyle T
Premium Member

30th Mar 14 at 20:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Crying out for black pillars and headlining

It's on the plan somewhere, for when I get somewhere I can spray in!

quote:
Originally posted by BeetleGav
sounds great that! think i have a subaru itch that needs scratching!
they reliable though? seem to be some expensive things to go wrong.
also mods seem pricey

Main reliability scares surround the 2.5 engine, which seem HG and piston ringland failure prone. The 2.0 engine seems to be fairly reliable.

Mods are expensive if you're going for more power than just exhaust/filter, but I imagine that's the same on any other car. You can do the usual lowering springs/backbox for cheap enough. That TSL backbox cost me £110 and it included a centre section, which I'll sell on with my prodrive box.

quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty
love it in track mode looks a lot better

I know Been looking at other 17" options.

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
Where u going?

Blyton

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

30th Mar 14 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like it in track spec.
chris_uk
Premium Member

30th Mar 14 at 20:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah cool

Kyle T
Premium Member

2nd Apr 14 at 17:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Blyton was an ace day, and without any real drama. Gutted it's over to be honest, might have to rush another day in before I depart if I can

Arrived at the track in thick fog, wasn't looking good but I was confident it would clear - as we had a nice day forecast.

Got there about an hour before the brief, made friends with our paddock neighbour in an Octavia then went to perv at some cars - mainly a 996 GT3 and some kitcars.

Fog!

They explained during the brief that we'd do the sighting laps in the fog ( ) and then wait for it to clear before green lighting the day. The fog ended up lifting about 10:30, so were delayed by about 45mins.

I was about 6th or 7th in the queue to get out first, but it got red flagged before I got to go because the GT3 broke down on his outlap

Once towed away, it was party time. Track still very damp in the opening session but got a good feel for the car and other than a few scary moments under braking (need to fit the pads earlier next time, and do more bedding in) it went without drama. Got back to the paddock for Santa to tell me I was VERY close to the noise limit and I need to start short shifting

There was no static noise test at Blyton, just drivebys.

Next session I went out and miserably short shifted around. The car sounded epic, but was a tad loud - mainly the pops and bangs when I blipped the throttle on downshift and quite an intense roar at the upper end of the range I think.

Got about 5 laps in, and could hear a rotational scuff scuff scuff coming from the rear. I'd experienced that before on the road with my "normal" pads - I think it might be the dust shield but it doesn't seem to affect braking and so kept driving.

On lap 6, I got black flagged

I was almost sure that was my day over, too noisy - but after a quick chat with Santa, my sound was actually OK - it was the rotational scuffing that they could hear.

That basically restricted me to 5lap sessions for the rest of the day, as that prevented heat from getting too high and causing the scuff to be too loud.

Turned into a beautiful day:

After an epic 40mile trip at lunch to find fuel it was party time again, really picked up the pace in the afternoon and played with my centre differential adjustments to try and assist me with a bit of understeer.

My car would understeer a touch on entry to the higher speed turns, but I was then able to get on the power and almost rotate the car through the turn, I could feel the rear of the car grip up and push me round - it was an excellent feeling and the car felt so balanced, encouraged me to push harder and harder. Had a few flicks of the tail on exit a couple of times but nothing that required panic or "catching". It felt flamboyant at the time, but it's not really noticeable from any in-car footage

As usual, the in-car footage just looks slow and undramatic, but I felt I was pushing the car a million times harder than at Cadwell, and I only had to let one car past all day... which in hindsight I shouldn't have done, as he held me up afterwards! (S1 Elise).

Had an app running on my phone all day which was supposedly recording lap times, but GPS signal seemed to be non-existent all day. It says my fastest lap was 1.16 though, can't really find any YouTube reference points but I think low 1.teens is possible if I went back tomorrow.

I ran out of bollocks on "Port Froid" which should be a flat-out chicane, car is probably capable of 100mph through there but I was lifting (Simon did it flat in his Clio, but I hear it was a little bit dramatic ). "Bunga Bunga" is my favourite corner by far, take it wide with a touch of understeer then get on the power early to hit the second apex right at the end - feels and looks like you're going to run out of track but the car just rotates through at about 70mph - pretty awesome.

With about half an hour to go, I fell asleep on the grass and was woken by someguy shouting "15mins, last chance!" so I went back out for a few more laps. All went fine until the penultimate lap, came out of a slower chicane in 3rd, shifted up to 4th at 6200rpm then got to about 6k rpm in fourth and power cut really quickly, then immediately came back in. Coasted round for a lap, then did exactly the same in the same place.

After tidying up and setting off home, I tried to replicate on a slip road and the car just boosted right through the range fine... so must have got something too hot. Need to speak with some people in the know to see if I can find out what that was. Fuel tank was about 2/3 full so doubt it was surge (plus I was in a straight line) and I think fuel-cut generates an EML...

Got loads of pics/vids which I'll sort through over the next few days and get posted. Blyton is an excellent track, if only because there is nothing to hit and encourages a bit more exploration of the car.

Job list for the next week or so:

1. Find out what's catching on the brakes at the back
2. Find a resonated centre section to see if it tones down the exhaust a bit
3. Hopefully fit some KW's and get another trackday booked

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

2nd Apr 14 at 17:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i loved blyton.. such an understated track..

i managed 1'11 as my PB but i was getting cut outs, on the first straight (did you have the chicane on the back stragiht?)

when i go back im looking at getting in the 1'09's as my combined best lap suggested a 1'10 but i know i could of gone faster.. so its not an unrealistic target.

let me know if you go again. i need an excuse to get back there and you can pop in for a pax
Kyle T
Premium Member

2nd Apr 14 at 17:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep Agreed on it being underrated, it's wider than I expected and pretty technical (not just stop and go!)

They did have the chicane on the back straight aye, they're also starting a new layout now called the "Eastern Circuit" which basically cuts out that long sweeping left hander (Lancaster?) and puts a load of wiggly bits in before rejoining just after the back straight chicane.

I shall inform you if/when I next go - would be nice to experience your car... though I'll warn you, I get carsick when I'm a passenger so need to keep to short stints

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

2nd Apr 14 at 17:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh, one thing I wanted to ask someone who actually knows how to drive...

I felt like I lost a load of time on the aforementioned lancaster

Basically I'd go into "The Ump" in third, and would be exiting just at the start of my power band. If I was going in a straight line - I'd be shifting into fourth about 40% through Lancaster but it felt like the car was already close to the edge of it's lateral grip and I was nervous about shifting up into fourth whilst still under "load". As a result, I ended up extending 3rd at partial throttle and then finally nailing it up into fourth pretty close to the "dot" on the picture beneath the corner name.

How do you handle similar circumstances? When I went for a ride in Simons' Clio - the gears are so much longer than mine so we just sat in third all the way around and only needed fourth on the straight bit. I can't take the Ump in fourth without being a LOT more committed... felt like 3rd gear all day long.

Do I just shift, will the car handle it? This is where my lack of bollocks holds me back I think... didn't help that this is the only corner on the track with a barrier, and I had a SC 205GTI spin right in front of me at about the same place!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Simon_16v

2nd Apr 14 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was an epic day, especially hitting port froid at 85/90mph with my poor conti's screaming for their life
chris_uk
Premium Member

2nd Apr 14 at 18:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you change fast enough it shouldnt effect it too much tbh.

Here is my vid.

http://youtu.be/1j1Zd_PWNi0
chris_uk
Premium Member

2nd Apr 14 at 18:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is a better vid

http://youtu.be/1DRW3w2Gq2s
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th Apr 14 at 15:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some vids.

Onboard: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9dZCrK1v1U

External: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELqqHwAEHWw

Brakes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1aKe2_hOB0

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th Apr 14 at 15:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Conveniently my fastest session isn't recorded, as on my first flying lap the battery died on the gopro (much to Simons' amusement, as I shat myself at the sound of all the beeps - thought I'd lost oil pressure or something )

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

4th Apr 14 at 15:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Chris, I much prefer your video which includes the driver inputs - the dash cam only tells half the story in my opinion.

Can you mount your vbox thingy where the GoPro was?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BeetleGav

4th Apr 14 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds fantastic! Looks like quite a tight track that. Wouldn't mind doing a track day, the prospect of binning my car puts me off though
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

4th Apr 14 at 22:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In the megane I'm getting 1:14's - 1:16's constantly there.
Kyle T
Premium Member

5th Apr 14 at 17:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BeetleGav
Sounds fantastic!

It does aye, such a shame I'll have to change it to be "trackday safe". Hopefully I can retain some/most of the tone when I do.

quote:
Originally posted by VrsTurbo
In the megane I'm getting 1:14's - 1:16's constantly there.

Nice to know I'm within touching distance of someone with significantly more track experience, though I'm sure my car is flattering me somewhat

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

5th Apr 14 at 17:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got to work today returning the car back to "road mode", and also trying to figure out what's scuffing on the rear when it gets hot.

Bit of surface rust bubbling up, but also a polished streak at the 2-3o'clock position in a groove right next to the handbrake shoes.

Seems like a lip on the disc is supposed to sit in that groove, and is catching when getting warm. You can see the lip is slightly polished vs the totally crusty "other side".

vs

I dremelled the lip down a mm or so, so hopefully that gives me enough clearance next time I'm on track. I at least know it's nothing "dangerous" so hopefully I can sweet talk the marshals if/when it happens again.

Dremelled down:

Ground down the backing plates and covered in my anti-rust gunk:

...and the other side:

Good old Hammerite to tidy up:

Road pads back in, staggered yo'

I guess the aftermarket discs I got just don't quite have the same tolerances as factory, as the "groove" on the hub doesn't seem deformed or anything.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

6th Apr 14 at 11:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my mate just sent me this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QArLB--cG0A

very windy
Kyle T
Premium Member

6th Apr 14 at 18:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You need a new photographer

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

6th Apr 14 at 19:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
You need a new photographer

tell me about it.. soon as i saw portrait i shook my head.

<<  57    58    59    60    61    62    63  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0353241 seconds