corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  62    63    64    65    66    67    68  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
chris_uk
Premium Member

User status: Offline
18th Aug 14 at 06:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got a gopro now so im gunna put it to good use.

Simon_16v

18th Aug 14 at 07:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Photos look great Kyle, we definitely need to get something booked for when your back so let me know when you get the dates for coming back.

Chris you'll have to come along to the next one we get planned.
chris_uk
Premium Member

18th Aug 14 at 08:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As long as its at blyton or croft or somewhere not a million miles away sure.

I was anxious to try get a sub 1'10 at blyton so im propper gutted i missed it.
Kyle T
Premium Member

18th Aug 14 at 12:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Watched a few of my videos while waiting for the train this morning. It's clear that I don't focus enough on stringing together a proper lap, I know you're not supposed to chase lap times so that's good - but I still would rather be more consistent.

I'll do a lap with 2/3 really good sectors - then hit traffic so back off, then when I get a clear lap, I won't concentrate and I'll do 2/3 good sectors with a sloppy one somewhere. I also back off early when I'm cooling down, instead of crossing the line and THEN starting a cooldown lap, I slow down two corners before the line which wastes two laps really.

It's weird to think that my mind just isn't on lap time when I join the track, as I spend most of the time in the paddock and before/after a trackday thinking about it - but as soon as the light is green, I just attack each corner on it's own - rather than the full lap.

Need to watch them all through again and note my laptimes, but I don't think I've made an impression on the 1:16 I got last time.

On the topic of my slippy-sliding in my seat, had anyone tried one of these?

http://www.cg-lock.co.uk/app/performance/

Supposed to stop your lap belt from expanding, but still allows the diagonal bit to move which would stop my head from separating from my spine in the event of a crash

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
chris_uk
Premium Member

18th Aug 14 at 16:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some of the vx owners used them but prefered propper harnesses.
AK

19th Aug 14 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great updates

I normally run my car with the centre diff (DCCD) open in the dry. As you have discovered... you get some horrible understeer when there is constant torque to the fronts on power and decel. Fee's car uses an aftermarket controller... so its open on turn in, but shifts torque forward the more she floors it (i.e mid/late corner). There are speed conditions too, so it wont transfer power in high speed events.

ARBs - what are you running now? If you're still getting a bit much understeer try firming up the rear compression or ARB.
AK

19th Aug 14 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

CG lock - I've heard mixed reviews but never tried one myself.

In my opinion there is no substitute for a well fitting bucket seat and harnesses. You feel much more secure, and in control of the car. I.e you 'feel' more rather than moving around more.

tyres - 888's arent bad, but arent the best. 048r will be better on dry tracks but worse on wet. They will take a little longer to get heat into them, but will last a good few laps longer.

You bought the 888 second hand... that suggests they were buggered when you bought them Why would someone sell good tyres! We normally sell on ours after about 10 trackdays. Heaps of tread, but just cant take heat anymore, and only last about 2 or 3 laps in 1200kg car.

Brakes - bigger is better. Cant fault KSport for the money, but use them with good pads.

Baffled sump yet?
Kyle T
Premium Member

19th Aug 14 at 19:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks AK, some good info.

I felt like the DCCD adjustments helped, but was certainly still held back by the understeer. I know I can't expect the car to just turn into whatever I throw at it, but I still feel it should be able to do much more - so tyres are on the list for next time.

I'm running 24mm Whiteline front and back. I know it contradicts the usual 24mm read and 22mm front - but Chevron swore by this setup and I wasn't going to argue.

Running soft front and medium rear, so perhaps moving to soft front / hard rear is worth looking at if new tyres don't solve anything.

If all that doesn't help - then yeah I've got about a million comp/rebound adjustments to make too

I think I'll try a CG-Lock, they're inexpensive and a hell of a lot less intrusive than throwing a bucket seat and harness in - but I won't rule either of those things out if my time in the UK extends beyond the end of this year

Tyres, yeah they were used - probably dead before I even got my hands on them, but they were £200 WITH the wheels, so hard to say no to.

I've read a couple of reviews - 048's are EXPENSIVE and I read similar comments about the wet, a cheaper one that came up was the Kumho V70 with some very positive comments... needs more research.

I bought a baffled sump, but it wouldn't fit round my oil pickup pipe - so it's just got a baffle plate in it now. Have you had any success with fuel-surge fixes other than a swirlpot?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
AK

19th Aug 14 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

On Fee's car we run 24/24 (soft/soft and 12/10kg springs. Her car is 1115kg, seam welded, solid mounted subframes, T45 cage - VERY STIFF

I run 22/24 on mine and its very pointy... more pointy than Fee's.

Def try incremental steps to reduce understeer. i know this is a bit geeky but write down the change, and then the result. So you then have something to reference when you forget what did what

Hows the rear out of hairpins?

Fuel -

I ran a GTR pump and sock (or a longer sock filter) in my Impreza tank before beefing it up to a 044 and swirl pot. I didnt get any fuel surge with that. I can have a look for the pump/sock when home.... sure I still have it kicking about if you want it.

You can run a small swirl pot in the engine bay if you want to keep the boot free.
Kyle T
Premium Member

19th Aug 14 at 19:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are no real hairpins at Blyton, only corner that challenges the rear is the final two corners but I've never had any drama - feel the rear flick a little bit and before I even need to react the car has pulled straight again. I guess in a RWD car it would be a little more dramatic/involving but my car feels like I could afford quite a bit more sliding at the rear before I start losing speed because of it. I never ran the Diff fully open either, which I now regret.

The two chicanes I really enjoy driving here, the car rotates nicely between the left and the right with a nice, safe controllable amount of slide - I guess the quick change of direction unsettles the car enough to break the back loose at a comparatively low speed which means there's little to no understeer. I reckon I made up most time in these turns compared to last time.

If you find your big sock, I'll give it a try for sure!

My engine bay is CRAMMED, no idea where I'd put a swirl pot. Need to lose that intercooler... and aircon

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
AK

19th Aug 14 at 21:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i work the other way... fully open all the time untill i need to tame the rear (wet) and live with the introduced understeer. Having a controller takes that hassle out to a degree (Neetronics, DCCD Pro, Syvecs etc). Cranking up the rear ARB should make it a little more lively too

Google search images for impreza engine swirl pots

I'll search for pics of that filter/sock thing as I wont be home for 4 weeks or so
AK

19th Aug 14 at 21:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://bbs.22b.com/forums/showthread.php?12415-R3x-GTR-pump-in-Impreza-with-a-big-sock&highlight=pump
Kyle T
Premium Member

19th Aug 14 at 23:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've got adjustable droplinks, if/when adjusting the rear ARB at the track - what's the correct way to do it? If possible should I keep rear suspension loaded and adjust the droplinks so that there's no "preload" on the bar, or is there value in straining the bar in a particular direction?

I guess loading the bar up gives more granular adjustment than just the three bolt holes and static/solid links?

I'm not back in the UK till end of October, so no rush on the sock

I think I pretty much undertand the impact of the DCCD adjustments on driving, but the Auto mode confuses me. I think it should be dynamically adjusting the open/lock of the diff through a corner similar to how you describe Fee's aftermarket controller - but it just doesn't do it fast enough, meaning that manual adjustments are usually needed for quicker laps.

Hmmm, wonder if I could relocate the adjustment wheel to the steering wheel

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
AK

20th Aug 14 at 12:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just bin the factory auto and fit an aftermarket version.... you can then customise what you want to happen under certain conditions.

Fee's has a few settings

In its 'auto' mode it uses speed, brake and TPS as inputs.

When over X% TPS it locks the diff Y%
When over Zkph it will release diff lockup
When on the brakes it will lock the diff X%

all configurable.

She also has the wheel mounted dial for 10 pre-set % lock ups if not wanting the auto mode. Also has launch control options and options for low speed use to avoid bunny hopping around tight turns when manouvering

ARB - we remove/work on ours with the rear in the air, but tighten the drop links to roll bar bolts once the rear is dropped to avoid any pre-loading... i.e thats its natural state.
AK

20th Aug 14 at 12:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so corner entry you'll have very low lockup on the diff (open)
Mid corner you start addign more throttle - the controller then adds lockup as this scales up (there are 16 configurabel values so you could have the following to give progressive change)

50% TPS = 5% lock
55% TPS = 7% lock
60% TPS = 9% lock
100% TPS = 100% lock

You then counter that with the 16 speed settings so you arent doing 120mph on the straight with a locked centre diff.
AK

20th Aug 14 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Re the sock

I cant find the pic on facebook (thats linked on the 22B post). Its there somewhere, but FB changed the paths to the pics at some point and I have no idea which album its in!

By the sounds of it... it was a 32GTR/300zx pump in the impreza housing, but with the sock (potentially longer) extended down further in the tank... on the tank floor essentially! The pump is of no real importance I think, could easily use a walbro

[Edited on 20-08-2014 by AK]
Kyle T
Premium Member

25th Aug 14 at 01:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
On the topic of my slippy-sliding in my seat, had anyone tried one of these?

http://www.cg-lock.co.uk/app/performance/

Supposed to stop your lap belt from expanding, but still allows the diagonal bit to move which would stop my head from separating from my spine in the event of a crash

Further to this, popular on a few US forums are:

It's a "quick harness" from Schroth, it's DOT approved with crash tests n' stuff in the US, comes with bolt in seatbelt clickers which you use for half of the harness, then you use regular clickers for the other half (one in the front, one in the back).

Seems like a good idea, more money than the CG Lock things - but it's pretty much a proper harness, safer than a harness bar - though still lethal I imagine without a HANS device in a high speed head on

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
3CorsaMeal

25th Aug 14 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a cg lock in corrado.
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Aug 14 at 12:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 3CorsaMeal
I have a cg lock in corrado.

Feedback?

Car was dropped off for me at my local paintshop this morning to get the front bumper repaired. I got a bit carried away though, and it's now getting a full front-end respray

Front bumper, wings, bonnet, windscreen surround and roof.

My reasoning is:

Bonnet had had paint before - although the colour is good, it's badly textured in areas which polishing has been unable to resolve.

Both wings have a little scratch on them

Windscreen has been replaced in the past, badly - so got rust under the windscreen seal. This currently is not noticable without peeling back the seal - but I've seen Blobeyes a year or so older than mine with rusty roofs as a result.

Roof is being done to blend in the surround.

So Drastic, hopefully I don't prang it next time out

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
3CorsaMeal

26th Aug 14 at 13:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like the CG lock, don't have it done up all the time as is a bit restricting, i'm slim without a gut so it sort of pins my hips. Does make a difference, i used to slide about with the leather seats.

Got mine 2nd hand so was worth the money to try it etc, not that expensive iirc

Down side is its a bit weighty and stays on the seatbelt when you undo the seatbelt so my old corrado belts don't retract very well, i have to feed give it a hand. Have got a new seatbelt but not fitted it yet, think my recoil action is worn out.
neil h

30th Aug 14 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
though still lethal I imagine without a HANS device in a high speed head on

Saw this the other day and meant to comment then, how about one of the cheaper club spec HANS devices?

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p/stand-21-club-hans-device-hans20?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=ShoppingUK&utm_campaign=ShoppingUK&vat=on&currency=GBP&gclid=CNKHuIngusACFUTkwgodbSMAbw
AK

30th Aug 14 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Would a HANS device fit correctly with those clip in harnesses?

We have HANS devices and they are quite fidly to get the fitment right with HANS specific harnesses
neil h

30th Aug 14 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The 'Quick fit pro' harness is listed as HANS compatible on Schroths website, so it should be ok.

http://www.schrothracing.com/tuning/quick-fit-pro/qfp-wrx

The only concern I'd have is most of the articles I've seen about fitting harnesses say the chest/shoulder straps should be as close to horizontal as possible once they go through the seat. Where as these ones drop down at quite a steep angle. That and the fact harnesses tend to go hand in hand with fixed back seats.

[Edited on 30-08-2014 by neil h]
Simon_16v

30th Aug 14 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a CG lock for us to try out at Blyton
Kyle T
Premium Member

30th Aug 14 at 14:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
Would a HANS device fit correctly with those clip in harnesses?

We have HANS devices and they are quite fidly to get the fitment right with HANS specific harnesses

From the Schroth Website:

quote:

Schroth's revolutionary Quick Fit Pro is the world's first 4 point harness that is designed to be used with a HANS Device in your stock seats! Now the safety and peace of mind that come from driving with a HANS device is available to the Driver's School and Open track day participant.

I think I'm a bit a way from rocking up at an open pit lane with a HANS device on, but please feel free to tell my family I was wrong if my skull separates from my spine at my next outing.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

<<  62    63    64    65    66    67    68  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0334320 seconds