corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  64    65    66    67    68    69    70  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
20th Sep 14 at 00:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wee update, but first a few flashbacks from old episodes.

Way back in March(?) time I bought a TD05 20G Turbo, and immediately sent it off to a reputable member of the Subaru tuning community. I had asked this person (one man company) to refurb the turbo, replace any "servicable" parts and upgrade to a billet compressor wheel.

All good, I posted it off and within two weeks he had called me saying it was done and would be in the post the following Monday. I flew to the US for work between that phonecall and the Monday but thought nothing of it, the Turbo would only be sat around for months until I got home in November.

A couple of weeks pass, have a few Skype talks with the missus and no sign of the turbo - so drop this fella an e-mail. He eventually responds, says there was a mixup and it was left unlabelled in his shop - and couldn't remember who it belonged to, but my email reminded him.

Happy days.

Some weeks later, still no Turbo.

I'll cut to the chase, but this went on from 1st April until the end of July when I was back in the UK for a few days. I called him, he was very apologetic and said it would be out the following day.

To this day, it still hasn't turned up. I came across a ScoobyNet post from another member who was suffering similar - and after talking to a bunch of community members it became apparent that his business has folded, but that he still had everybody's stock but was just really unorganised, he isn't a bad guy, yadayada.

Regardless of all that, I've got 700quid tied up in that Turbo and I'm getting the feeling I'll need to write that off. Rather annoyed, but I'm quite powerless from here - only having 3-4 hours to call him in a morning and he rarely picks up.

In other news, a month ago now my car was taken to a local paint shop - I told them they had 2 months with it so to take their time, but they have made progress on it.

Front bumper, wings and bonnet have all been taken back and painted up again. They've taken my windscreen out to clean up all the rust that was in the windscreen surround, and are painting that and half of the roof too.

They're also fitting in the JDM Headlights that I bought to save me scratching the bumper fitting them myself!

I forgot to ask them to take pictures, which I'm annoyed about - but hopefully a friend will be swinging by for a final visual inspection before I wire them any money... but if they're willing I might just let them keep the car until I'm next home Oct 18th and inspect/pay in person.

Next up, got myself my US Ebay bargain. I say bargain loosely because I'm only using about $5s worth of tupperware off of it

Need to get some cheapass tools tomorrow to unbolt the box part, soak it for a few days to try and stop the petrol smelling then get it packed up for home. The rest of the assembly might go back on eBay before I go.

Been doing some online window shopping too and picked out Injectors, FPR and an air/oil separator to go home with me - but that's all to match the turbo that has vanished so need to think about that...

If the Turbo never turns up, I'm not sure whether to bench my 400bhp target and just have another year out of the car of trackdays/shows etc - or to buy another turbo and keep going for it.

My investment other than the turbo itself is almost nil, but it's about to get a lot bigger if I choose to continue!

Headers
FMIC
Induction Kit
Injectors
FPR
Possibly a new exhaust.

Yikes!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

20th Sep 14 at 18:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is there no way anyone you know or a vs member could pop buy to see the guy with the turbo. Collect it and send it back to you so you can send it to somewhere better? Or is it super distance away?
Not wanting to be "that guy" but it doesn't after of he's a good guy or not. End of the day he has £700 worth of turbo that isn't his and he won't send it back to you. Not really on is it.
John

20th Sep 14 at 20:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Turbo guys name DaveA?

They're always good guys.
Ben G

20th Sep 14 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You know where he works/lives, so why not turn up at his door?
djgritt
Premium Member

20th Sep 14 at 21:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G

I think the Atlantic Ocean is in the way.
Ben G

20th Sep 14 at 21:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I meant when he turns up back in the UK
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Sep 14 at 15:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by djgritt
quote:
Originally posted by Ben G

I think the Atlantic Ocean is in the way.

Part of the issue is me being overseas tbh, I've not been chasing him as much as I would have done back home - out of sight out of mind type of thing.

He's in/around Edinburgh so if any CS'er is local - I'd be happy to sponsor a visit to find out what's going on.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
taylorboosh

21st Sep 14 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just ring him and say a mate is in edinburgh and will be round to collect it - que a cs member popping in - no drama just to collect whats yours
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Sep 14 at 15:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah that's a plan, if anybody wants to volunteer

Otherwise I'll be trekking up myself in November.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
SXI - Matt

21st Sep 14 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

U2U'd you Kyle
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Sep 14 at 19:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Stuart H

21st Sep 14 at 22:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not too far from edinburgh tbh. Is he just handing it over I take it?
Kyle T
Premium Member

21st Sep 14 at 22:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stuart H
I'm not too far from edinburgh tbh. Is he just handing it over I take it?

Not sure yet!

There are three scenarios:

1 - The Turbo is long since gone, sold for money or lost/damaged and he's scared to tell me - so just keeps stringing me along.
2 - He's just an unorganised person and unable to remember, from what people "close to him" have said - this is most likely.
C - The Address I sent the turbo to months ago is no longer valid so I can't find him regardless.

If it's the Scenario 2 - it may be perfectly feasible for a CS member to collect it for me, then post it to me for great reward and gratuity.

If it's Scenario 1, it might get a bit confrontational

If Scenario 3... then I'm screwed.

SXI - Matt has kindly offered to pay him a visit for me as he's in the area on business, so we'll know more at that time... hopefully.

His one-man business WAS called Braveheart Racing Developments but based on Google Maps it's not a business address as such - so he obviously worked out of a shed/garage/front room. I only just looked at Google Maps, and fuck me you can see him sat outside having a fag If there's any doubt it's the right address... the cars parked outside should extinguish that

[Edited on 22-09-2014 by Kyle T]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Wrighty

22nd Sep 14 at 02:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats comedy
BarnshaW

22nd Sep 14 at 06:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Turbo is probably sat in that bin outside
John

22nd Sep 14 at 06:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With those cars parked outside and that house area,you better send someone hard as nails. That's not going to be smooth sailing.
Stuart H

22nd Sep 14 at 13:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know exactly where that is used to drive by it everyday when i worked for tnt , always had 6 or 7 imprezas sitting outside.
Kyle T
Premium Member

22nd Sep 14 at 14:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fantastic.

I really don't expect confrontation John, but perhaps my naivety has got me into this situation in the first place. If we don't hear from SXI - Matt after next week, then I'll readjust my perceptions

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

27th Sep 14 at 16:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I found TurboMan on Facebook. With a quick scroll down his timeline, seems a few other turbos are missing too

https://www.facebook.com/john.goulding.104

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

5th Oct 14 at 00:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit of a turbo non-update.

As if by some kid of miracle, John replied to a FB message that I sent him. I'd told him that I'd had a kind offer of somebody going to his house for me, he sounded very pleased with that - and said it would help him out if somebody could collect it for me.

SXI Matt popped round to Johns for me yesterday, but alas he was not home. Matt spoke to his missus, who basically explained that the house was just full of turbos in various states of repair and she couldn't possibly identify mine.

Matt returned home empty handed, but I'm very appreciative of his efforts - thanks Matt.

I'm now on the lookout for an Edinburgh local who can just keep popping round until we catch him out. I'll make the trip myself if I have to, but the thought of driving to Scotland to return empty handed is just sickening

In the meantime, what are my options for legal action? Small claims I guess, what kind of evidence will they expect from me, and is it realistic to expect a claim amount equal to that of the turbos value and the work charged for by John?

I don't really want to delay work on my car due to this turbo when I get home in Nov, so if I can't get a solution soon - I'll need to press on with another turbo, which is very annoying.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Stuart H

5th Oct 14 at 08:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shame I don't work for tnt no more used to deliver in the same street lol. If you managed to get a hold of him with a weekend he would be in id happily go get it for you. 25 miles from me so not to bad.
WATSON

6th Oct 14 at 15:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He seem's to be still trading over on scottishscoobie's. Possibly give Si a call at sitec racing as there's a few have said he now works from there too.
Kyle T
Premium Member

6th Oct 14 at 19:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks Stuart. I've zero confidence that if I arrange a time/date that he'll be home. In fact I fully expect him to arrange to be out if we arranged something.

If you're ever "in the area", by all means swing around and I'll reward your efforts accordingly.

Thanks Watson, interesting info. I just signed up to Scottish Scoobies and it appears that noobs get very restricted access, can't see trader forums etc. Perhaps I need a minimum post count, shall research later.

Finding another way of communicating with him is just giving him another way to avoid me though, I fear

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

9th Oct 14 at 22:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right enough flapping about a turbo, hows about a real update?

I got my USDM fuel filter assembly some weeks ago, and finally decided to dismantle the bit I need ready for my flight home next week.

I've got the worlds cheapest and shittest screwdriver set at work, so brought a crosshead back to the hotel and then got to work.

PING, screwdriver tip snapped It seemed to take half of the screw head with it too... so I'd need more aggressive measures.

One trip to Home Depot and $13 later and I had the best molegrips ever:

That made short work of that:

Hotel stinks of petrol, so got my useful bits in my parts washer:

Next day at work, postie brought me some presents:

AEM Fuel Pressure regulator and gubbins, and some ID1000 injectors.

The ID1000's are way overkill for my aims, but I've been advised that they provide an excellent idle and will not be a compromise for me. They're excellent value in the US, even if you pay the best part of $100 to have them shipped home. They will of course be coming home in my socks.

So that kinda answers my question to myself earlier, of do I continue with the power project if the turbo needs to be written off. I'm committed now

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
SXI - Matt

10th Oct 14 at 07:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good lad nice shiny new parts keep on at him and get that turbo back!!!

<<  64    65    66    67    68    69    70  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0322111 seconds