corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Top selling cars of 2008

New Poll
  <<  4    5    6    7    8  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Top selling cars of 2008
Ojc

User status: Offline
7th Jan 09 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So are the Astras FFS there isn't anything between them just person opinion and the fact the ST comes with 5 doors is what sways it for a lot of people.
corsa_nation

7th Jan 09 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
quote:
Originally posted by corsa_nation
Joe is right, the S3 is a car that can be driven like the VXR and to the same effect. Those who suffer from rheumatoid conditions and live on the motorway but also want a belt around the B roads would be better suited to the S3.

You base that on what? An S3 doesn't handle any better than a VXR, might grip better but doesn't handle better. Again you are talking about torque steer yet anyone other than Clarkson doesn't seem to notice it.

I said the S3 can be driven like the VXR... all this natter about me giving handling comparisons and torque steer references seems to have been taken from...
Tommy L

7th Jan 09 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
So are the Astras FFS there isn't anything between them just person opinion and the fact the ST comes with 5 doors is what sways it for a lot of people.

I never said the astra wasn't Just focusing on the focus atm
Kevxx

7th Jan 09 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

refresh!
Ojc

7th Jan 09 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
quote:
Originally posted by Joe
Yeah the Focus, better than the Astra imo

Better dash, I want those gauges but I don't want the driving position.

honest question as you came from novas like i did years ago. do you not find the steering in the astra vxr's just a little bit rediculous? too sharp, lack of feeling to it. a slight movement of the steering wheel makes the car think your going round a hair pin.

maybe im just more suited to older cars.

I can't say hand on heart that I've noticed it, but if you think the Astra is bad for that you should drive the Corsa VXR, the steering is pin sharp and on the motorway it is far to sensitive.

My mate drove an Astra VXR coming straight from a CTR and couldn't believe how much sharper the steering was on the VXR, the CTR is lifeless and has no feel to it at all where as the VXR is at the other end of the scale.

I drive my Corsa GSi on a regular basis and hate the steering on the GSi, it's lifeless and needs the PAS removing to get any feel into it.
Nic Barnes

7th Jan 09 at 22:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah ive drove corsa vxr's and found it worse than the astra.

i prefer heavier steering. makes me feel im doing something
Ojc

7th Jan 09 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's modern though, they are all the same TBH.

I love driving my RS1800 as that is raw as raw can get, no ABS, PAS just me and a brand new manual rack and yes in some instances I prefer it.
Nic Barnes

7th Jan 09 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

maybe in 2018 i may be looking to buy something from the list of best selling cars of 2008............

im stuck in 1994 and 1999, and quite happy about it.
BarnshaW

7th Jan 09 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shut up nic barnes
Nic Barnes

7th Jan 09 at 22:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
shut up nic barnes

richc

7th Jan 09 at 22:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
The new Superb looks, well superb. Can be had for as little as £19k brand new, specced. The credit crunch choice according to Fifth Gear.

I got a taxi home in one drunk on sat, thought it were superb tbh
John

7th Jan 09 at 22:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Skodas aren't far off audi/vw build quality, same materials just put together in a different factory.
richc

7th Jan 09 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought the passat would be further up. Ive done alot of driving in them for work, and even though im 18 i would have one if the insurance wasnt so stupid seeing as i can insurce a v6 vectra for about 300 quid less than a 2.0 diesel passat

Handle well for the size. Brilliant on the motorway, comfy, makes you feel involved but at the same time makes your feel like its doing the work for you!
deano87

8th Jan 09 at 09:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by richc
quote:
The new Superb looks, well superb. Can be had for as little as £19k brand new, specced. The credit crunch choice according to Fifth Gear.

I got a taxi home in one drunk on sat, thought it were superb tbh

http://fifthgear.five.tv/jsp/5gmain.jsp?mnk=410&id=333&description=Skoda+Superb
BYRON

8th Jan 09 at 10:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
Skodas aren't far off audi/vw build quality, same materials just put together in a different factory.

Wait until you see the new Seat Exeo! Recycled 'B4' Audi A4.

As for the passat - its dated but remained consistant throughout its life, and becuase its a VW its the benchmark car to aspire to in the upper d segment.
Jambo

8th Jan 09 at 10:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i like Astra VXR's so much so i very, very very nearly bought one. Red, 19s leather etc. 58plate. Was going to go ahead untill i realised the real cost of owning a brand new car.

I like my Vauxhalls and will always do, currently adding another B to the family.

However the difference in build quality/materiels isnt just the plastics. My M3's dash is much more tactile and more quality feeling than the 08plate astra i drove, now before people jump on the price comparison etc. My car was made in 2002 and uses the same dash as the 318 if im not mistaken. But, driving any new bmw (with correct wheels driven for a start) compared to a vx/ford/vw etc etc is the overall feel and experience. It makes vxs seem like they are put together with string. And i dont mean the dash i mean the way the steering feels, the dynamics etc. That is why BMWs are popular. I agree there are badge snobs out there who wouldnt drive a vx because of the badge (i.e my dad :lol but thats their loss. Vx make great cars. But if i had the choice between a vectra c and an e60 5series i would not buy the taxi if i had the extra cash, because quite simply its a far better car in every aspect.

I have sat in an insignia and it was mightly impressive, but if u sit the interior next to an A4 the A4 is far more attractive, and looks like its worth more. If you compare the dynamics (not that i have personly)
It woule easily be on par with the a4 imo but then the reason that looses out to the BMW in the tests every generation is due to the poor dynamics by comparison. If Vx could make a non aussie RWD car they would be onto a winner.

Arguing this is all nonsense really. Both car makers make excellent cars, as well as some poop ones, but they are aimed at a different markets.

Vx especialy have come along way in recent years and the gap is closing, but if they are aiming at the premium market? Then alot more work to be done.

On another note, according to Autocar last week, the infiniti coupe thing, is aparently much better than the bmw, audi and merc equivilant.

Ojc

8th Jan 09 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've even said around here that I prefer the BMW layout on the dash, but then BMW is a better brand, Audi just pretend to be better.
Jambo

8th Jan 09 at 10:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as much as i adore my M3, im a little bit sad i dont have a 58plate vxr
deano87

8th Jan 09 at 10:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd rather an E46 M3 than Astra VXR.
Jambo

8th Jan 09 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so would i, but the astra wouldnt of had as much as a stonechip on it. My car is turning 7 this year!

Plus it was fun to drive! Didnt like the gearnob tho
deano87

8th Jan 09 at 11:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

'spose.
Ojc

8th Jan 09 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I'd rather an E46 M3 than Astra VXR.

So would I, but lets look at it another way. Brand new car, 3 year warranty and cheap servicing costs?

If a 7 year old M3 goes wrong its going to cost you big. If your 2 year old Astra goes wrong, it's going to cost you nothing.
deano87

8th Jan 09 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very very true.
Jambo

8th Jan 09 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

brakes on astra? £200? Something like that?

£700 for bmw.
My next service will be around that too
jr

8th Jan 09 at 11:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can i comment on this epci thread that apart from slight diffrent dash plastics in favour of the Audis that Vauxhall are on par with VW on build quality, and still a little way of audi

<<  4    5    6    7    8  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Top selling cars of 2008 22 database queries in 0.0183918 seconds