corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Police force.. anyone joined?

New Poll
  <<  4    5    6    7    8    9    10  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Police force.. anyone joined?
gtitim

User status: Offline
29th Aug 09 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can never say exactly how you would deal with each situation. you may have been trained, may have plans made of how to deal, but ultimately it can change in a split second. We are not routinely deployed to knife incidents, and not at all to firearms incidents unless risk assessed as low. Like Alex - all our traffic are firearms trained, carry tazer all the time and have firearms in the vehicles - holster on leg is a giveaway. Ours do not carry weapons on their person unless on a firearms call.
Boycey

29th Aug 09 at 14:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it this good police force that you work for? Again with the hypocricy.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/4311783.Second_police_officer_suspended_in_firearms_investigation/
gtitim

29th Aug 09 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nope, not for me. 200 miles too far north.

Boycey - you aren't in the job ( or from your responses I really hope not) and therefore do not know how jobs are risk-assessed. Not every call is like Road Wars, and I am glad to be honest.

this thread was created for people to ask about the job, not for you to argue the toss with.

Yes there are bent cops, just like there are dishonest employees in every industry, but I bet there are a damn sight less bent cops than there are people in the job you do, whatever that may be.
richc

29th Aug 09 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by J da Silva
quote:
Originally posted by Ben J
quote:
Originally posted by richc
quote:
Originally posted by Alex_NSM
quote:
Originally posted by J da Silva

Although I admire your willingness to be in a force that can't really do anything to criminals, if 2 blokes are stood infront of you waving bats and knives about, all your allowed to do is shout "Stop you little monkeys!" or maybe squirt Lynx in their faces, it's a disgrace.

Have you been pepper sprayed before? Or CS'd for that matter? Its somewhat stronger than lynx and where knives are involved, just get firearms unit out.....

But have you ever been lynxed?

And tbh ben, he has a point. A bloke is running at you weaving a sword or knife at you, you are going to stand they trying to spray him? You will backing off.....

He never mentioned sword or knife??

"Bats and knives", swords could be used though, if the villains weren't discreet.

Typical pedantic, corsa sport remark when they have nothing usefull to say back tbh Jizzy pants.
Boycey

29th Aug 09 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gtitim
Nope, not for me. 200 miles too far north.

Boycey - you aren't in the job ( or from your responses I really hope not) and therefore do not know how jobs are risk-assessed. Not every call is like Road Wars, and I am glad to be honest.

this thread was created for people to ask about the job, not for you to argue the toss with.

Yes there are bent cops, just like there are dishonest employees in every industry, but I bet there are a damn sight less bent cops than there are people in the job you do, whatever that may be.

Sorry I should have said that question up top was for Alex. The link was the first thing that came up when I googled something like, Durham traffic Police carry guns. Which I've still to see any info on which is surprising.

And why you talking about bent cops? I never mentioned anything about bent coppers.

[Edited on 29-08-2009 by Boycey]
richc

29th Aug 09 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you swindle expenses claims aswell, like any other person in power in this country?
oceansoul

29th Aug 09 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When i was in finland in 07 these 2 boys in front of us at traffic lights had a race off the lights. next thing i know, police VW transporter coming round me, blues n twos on. forces his way BETWEEN the 2 cars that are racing, continues down the road, does handbrake turn so is 90 to the flow of traffic. the cars racing stop, i stop behind them, 2 coppers come running out of the van guns draw, 1 each up to the cars driver windows, reach in, grab keys throw them too the floor, then drag the drivers out (still at gun point). i thought it was a drugs raid or something...but when the copper spoke to me (as a witness) it was to do with the drag race the blokes had. NOW THATS TRAFFIC POLICEING

quote:

Good point....where the fuck is doyle....

Neil

29th Aug 09 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Boycey
And why you talking about bent cops? I never mentioned anything about bent coppers.

The link you posted is about bent police
Boycey

29th Aug 09 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by NeilM
quote:

Like I said that's the first thing that popped up when I googled Durham traffic police carry guns. Then procceded to post the link and ask Alex if that's the police force she worked for. I wouldn't mention bent coppers on this thread. I would need to make a whole new thread up for that

Welsh Dan

29th Aug 09 at 19:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Neither Met or South Wales Police traffic units carry guns (as a rule, they don't carry tazers either) Pretty sure that Devon & Cornwall don't either

[Edited on 29-08-2009 by Welsh Dan]
Lynny

30th Aug 09 at 02:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by NeilM
quote:

Like I said that's the first thing that popped up when I googled Durham traffic police carry guns. Then procceded to post the link and ask Alex if that's the police force she worked for. I wouldn't mention bent coppers on this thread. I would need to make a whole new thread up for that

Yes it is? I'm sure you could find atleast one post on the internet about a bad cop in every force in the country, well done you. Typical of the media tbf. Ah well. Guess that one guy means the whole of Durham Constabulary, and its thousands of employees are crap. Shit, best leave and find myself a new job, in something honest and exiting like IT
Lynny

30th Aug 09 at 02:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by richc
Do you swindle expenses claims aswell, like any other person in power in this country?

expenses? whats them
will_doyle
Banned

1st Sep 09 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was speaking to a Police Office the other night.. and he said to into the police force you just need average GCSE's. And to pass the training,.. can anyone shed any light on this?

[Edited on 01-09-2009 by will_doyle]
Neil

1st Sep 09 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by will_doyle
Was speaking to a Police Office the other night.. and he said to into the police force you just need average GCSE's. And to pass the training,.. can anyone shed any light on this?

Not sure about qualifications, but the entry process isn't that easy...
Lynny

1st Sep 09 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats true, but having average GCSEs is FAR from guarenteeing you in, or getting you through training.
Life experience is important to getting in
CorsaJKO

1st Sep 09 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Yes you don't need any specific qualifications, and the training is the part after the whole application process, which is the hardest part. The paper sift and interview for the Specials is awfully gruelling, and I'm led to believe from the postgraduates that the full time police officer application process is a lot harder than the Specials.

[Edited on 01-09-2009 by CorsaJKO]
chris-sri

1st Sep 09 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been in the job for coming up to 4 years now and I still love it. Don't expect an easy ride as there is a lot to learn and a lot of admin to do. You will end up getting physically and verbally abused but after a while you've heard it all before, the effects lessen and you just accept it as part of the job. You will have to tell someone that one of their loved ones has died and you'll see some pretty horrendous sights. You will have to sit there watching the media tear the Police a new one over an incident that they think hasn't been handled correctly without giving the proper consideration to all of the surrounding circumstances. On the flip side of all that stuff I've done 2 driving courses, I've been involved in decent pursuits and serious disorders and the adrenalin rush you get from it is fantastic. Alongside that I've worked on some great teams and made some brilliant friends through the job and the experiences we've been through together.

As far as actually getting in goes I was 21 when I joined, I left school with probably slightly better than average GCSE's but nothing special at 16 and then did 5 years in retail before joining. As I understand it they're looking for the new probies to be more "customer focused" so get into a job where you're going to build up some evidence in that area.

sxibeast

2nd Sep 09 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My brother has recently joined Thames Valley, and it tok him a couple of goes to get in!

Certainly wasnt easy, but hes in now and loving every minute! He says there is lots of paperwork, but thats just one of those things tbh, and im sure there are many interesting jobs out there were you get a nice mountain of paperwork!

He is still on the college portion of his training, but so far has passed all his exams.

He worked for Debenhams and Zavvi previously as in-store security so had the chance to talk to alot of different Police etc when he nabbed someone.
will_doyle
Banned

3rd Sep 09 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just a few questions

what qualifications do I need to join?

how do I apply?

And whats the starting wage?
will_doyle
Banned

3rd Sep 09 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahhh.. seen a few reply regaarding the qualifications
will_doyle
Banned

3rd Sep 09 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Liam B
quote:
What sort of tests are there.. fitness? Ill pass that probs.. _______

Can you manage 5.4 on the bleep test? Can you bench press 35kg irc?

From what i've learnt at college, the fitness tests are pathetic as although you only have to manage 5.4 on the bleep test, its more like 4 as the police bleep test is 15m a shuttle instead of the usual 20. Its more about your mental capabilities.

I can get to 10+ on bleep test

and I can bench 40k
will_doyle
Banned

3rd Sep 09 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I am in the job, been in since April '08.

Application process for Lincs is as follows:
Application form
Fitness test = 5.4 bleep, push/pull of 35
Centrex assesment centre
Medical
Security checks
Training.

Took me 20 months from posting application form to training.

20 weeks training then 10 weeks as tutee with experienced officer.

Then you are out there on your own.

It is a fantastic job. Alot more paperwork and stress than you would think. Everyone joins and says they want to do this or do that, yet most spend a good few years on town learning the job. I love it - never know what the next call will be, or how it will go.

There are some downsides to it too - telling people their relatives are dead, dealing with corpses, picking up body parts, nasty injuries and accidents, loads of horrible jobs. it really can be a thankless job, but the high points make up for it.

Any questions feel free to ask - on shifts so not online all day, but if i can answer, i will.

Thanks..

Do you get paid for the training? you were in it for 20months..

and whats that like?
noshua

3rd Sep 09 at 12:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you not know how to multiquote?
will_doyle
Banned

3rd Sep 09 at 12:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by noshua

I have quoted these all at different times mate
Colin

3rd Sep 09 at 12:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by noshua

Admiral.co.uk

<<  4    5    6    7    8    9    10  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Police force.. anyone joined? 22 database queries in 0.0164440 seconds