corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » DVLA Ban on engine conversions

New Poll
  <<  4    5    6    7    8  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author DVLA Ban on engine conversions
Nic Barnes

User status: Offline
12th Oct 09 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mot inspector and the police that pull you over allegedly will impound your car and it will be checked over by a vosa test station to see if it passes their criteria. thats the news about it.

the way its been reported is cars that are really low the suspension doesnt have the travel etc in it so actually making the car perform really badly and is being blamed by the police for a lot of crashes young people have on corners or something. i can see the sense in it.
Carl

12th Oct 09 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When they pulled me up they had a booklet a bit like them they have at halfords when you need to know which oil your car needs, in that it had all the car standard ride heights, There was % next to each figure which must have been to account for weight, so that gives you about 10mm lower than standard anything over that is chargeable, like i said 1,5 points a corner. The plod just had a tape measure, one of those lockable ones. Locked it in place after the first arch and quickly ran around the car matching the other corners up. When I said i'd not heard of it he wasn't bothered and told me that it would be national "hopefully before Christmas" as they have planned to link it in with the drink driving campaign, something about saving a life for Christmas.
CorsAsh

12th Oct 09 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wonder if it works the other way for raised 4x4s...
Jambo

12th Oct 09 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your not allowed to lower a car?

That will help the economy eh.
Carl

12th Oct 09 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsAsh
I wonder if it works the other way for raised 4x4s...

Not many sierras about these days, probably get away with it.
Rich H

12th Oct 09 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think this is getting a bit too mixed with the engine and suspension arguments now I'm confused as hell reading this as it keeps swapping from one argument to the other!!
Ingram11

12th Oct 09 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Carl
When they pulled me up they had a booklet a bit like them they have at halfords when you need to know which oil your car needs, in that it had all the car standard ride heights, There was % next to each figure which must have been to account for weight, so that gives you about 10mm lower than standard anything over that is chargeable, like i said 1,5 points a corner. The plod just had a tape measure, one of those lockable ones. Locked it in place after the first arch and quickly ran around the car matching the other corners up. When I said i'd not heard of it he wasn't bothered and told me that it would be national "hopefully before Christmas" as they have planned to link it in with the drink driving campaign, something about saving a life for Christmas.

So did this officer not ask you for a document assuring that your suspension set up was safely done??if not,why was this?
pow
Premium Member

13th Oct 09 at 08:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FLOL Carl

Wonder if I'll get 6 points because the Mito is jeffing low
FruitBooTeR

13th Oct 09 at 08:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

Surely it should work like a producer...like you would have 5 days to raise the car back up?

Seems a bit harsh issuing fixed points on the road side.
pow
Premium Member

13th Oct 09 at 09:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He's joking

You can't get .5 points
FruitBooTeR

13th Oct 09 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He better be joking.... mines so low it would get me thrown in jail
Carl

13th Oct 09 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by FruitBooTeR
quote:

Surely it should work like a producer...like you would have 5 days to raise the car back up?

Seems a bit harsh issuing fixed points on the road side.

It's a law break. If you shoot someone they don't give you a piece of paper to take into the cop shop in 5 days to prove it was you. I'd consider highering it, i'd even go 5mm above standard just to be safe.
random dav
Premium Member

13th Oct 09 at 16:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

and

WRLFC !

Project cars
Nic Barnes

13th Oct 09 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the police wony be issuing the points. they can only confiscate a car thats deemed too low for road use. then at the owners cost it will be subjected to a vosa unspection where you will need o provide certification for the suspension and place that fitted it. vosa will then deem wether or not you car is dangerously low and can issue 6 points. if you cannot provice documentation you will be issued with 6 points regardless.
pleyer

13th Oct 09 at 17:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When does this all come into force then?
Assuming it already hasn't? but if it has someone hasn't done their job properly because it seems that a lot of people just on here haven't heard about it - me included.
Nic Barnes

13th Oct 09 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

january 2010 according to dvla and vosa is when its going to be enforced.
Carl

13th Oct 09 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
the police wony be issuing the points. they can only confiscate a car thats deemed too low for road use. then at the owners cost it will be subjected to a vosa unspection where you will need o provide certification for the suspension and place that fitted it. vosa will then deem wether or not you car is dangerously low and can issue 6 points. if you cannot provice documentation you will be issued with 6 points regardless.

There was vosa folk with da police when I got stung.
matthew172

13th Oct 09 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got a sting one time
Carl

13th Oct 09 at 19:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by matthew172
i got a sting one time

two times......
random dav
Premium Member

13th Oct 09 at 20:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And how would they measure the lowered suspension? Arch to floor would not work as it would be affected by different size wheels wouldnt it.

Still I say

WRLFC !

Project cars
Carl

13th Oct 09 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by random dav
And how would they measure the lowered suspension? Arch to floor would not work as it would be affected by different size wheels wouldnt it.

Still I say

A simple equation incorporating the wheel size and profile of the tyre.
Ingram11

13th Oct 09 at 20:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think ur talking shit mate
Nic Barnes

13th Oct 09 at 20:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wtf? you can work out the rolling radius then work out ground clearance and arch clearance by measuring it. how else can you say a car is too low?
Mike
Organiser: North West and North Wales
Premium Member

13th Oct 09 at 20:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by random dav

Still I say

or just measure centre of the hub to the arch
matthew172

13th Oct 09 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i measured how low my car was one time using a stick and sum chuddy

<<  4    5    6    7    8  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » DVLA Ban on engine conversions 23 database queries in 0.0177701 seconds