corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Mk3 Golf 2.8 VR6-an old new beginning! - Wheels are on.

New Poll
  <<  4    5    6    7    8    9    10  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Mk3 Golf 2.8 VR6-an old new beginning! - Wheels are on.
MatthewR

User status: Offline
26th Aug 10 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

gotta be the bbs over the tt wheels imo, tt wheels on those are common, as nice as they may look
3CorsaMeal

26th Aug 10 at 14:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some nice corrado speedlines on corrado forum for sale atm, new toyo tyres and they are polished rims, just needs some elbow grease, £250ono
Fro

26th Aug 10 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ta peeps, 160 mile round trip tonight it is. Will give the golf a chance to have a good run out

Jim - are they the 15" ones? they're nice but too small imo even though there is only and inch in it Think there were some on ebay going cheap when i last looked too.
Fro

26th Aug 10 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Found em. got longer to go than i thought

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/15-VW-Corrado-Golf-VR6-GTI-16V-Alloys-Wheels-/150482414171?pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Rims_Car_Wheels_ET

[Edited on 26-08-2010 by fro-dizzle]
3CorsaMeal

26th Aug 10 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i reckon they will go a for a little over £120
Fro

26th Aug 10 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am officially a wheel whore. Not long got back from Milton Keynes. Got the wheels for a good price, all tyres are nearly new but one was exectued via pothole so will need to replace that, also need to get a centre cap or a new set.

Golf took the journey in it's stride was very comfy and returned 34.1 mpg with an average of 44mph (due to traffic on the way up ) so not too bad

currently eating some left over Indian then going to bed i feel mashed!
MatthewR

27th Aug 10 at 08:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sean-B

27th Aug 10 at 09:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want my BBS' that colour!
Fro

27th Aug 10 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sean-B
I want my BBS' that colour!

Guy I got them from said they were powdercoated chrome but i think they have been polished or somthine as they dont appear to like the weather Will do until after winter though just hope they look alright on, if not they will be for sale
Fro

27th Aug 10 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmm second thoughts after see this

Mark.W

27th Aug 10 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very nice wheels,always have liked these.
3CorsaMeal

27th Aug 10 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you need chunky spokes on a mk3 imo
Fro

27th Aug 10 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmmm this will be an interesting weekend if all goes to plan. Need to get a stupid hex bolt to get the jap wheels off tomorrow, if not I cant change wheels or susp

In other new - the ABS problem fixed it self last night, the light went off on the way home And my drivers heated seat worked for 5 mins so I think there must be a lose connection somewhere.
3CorsaMeal

27th Aug 10 at 10:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ABS light will be back

worth testing out the brakes, doing a few emergency stops and skids.

i had something up with mine and occasionally you could approach a roundabout/junction slowly, touch the brakes and hit a bump and brakes would lock up and ABS go crazy
Fro

27th Aug 10 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Noice Did pretty well in the rain last night but didnt go hard enough to kick in the ABS.
Will try and get it to come in over the weekend.
First time i felt ABS on my mk4 i thought it was broken

Car should be going to Lemass on tues the 6th to get the door done and possibly some other minor bits
Dave86

27th Aug 10 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats my old car jonnyg, i had that golf with the vento front for about 6months!

lovely car to drive and to look at, should never have got rid of it!
[Edited on 27-08-2010 by Dave86]

[Edited on 27-08-2010 by Dave86]
Jake

27th Aug 10 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

did you buy those wheels from stu? has a blue corrado
Fro

27th Aug 10 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, a guy called Manveer, has a 9n on TT comps.
Ben G

27th Aug 10 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bbs'

i also like the tt's.

2 on each side
Nath

27th Aug 10 at 21:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by fro-dizzle

Golf took the journey in it's stride was very comfy and returned 34.1 mpg with an average of 44mph (due to traffic on the way up ) so not too bad

M1 FTL
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

28th Aug 10 at 03:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nath
quote:
Originally posted by fro-dizzle

M1 FTL

stfu
Fro

28th Aug 10 at 06:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ben G
bbs'

i also like the tt's.

2 on each side

Will do one half of the car one style with diff front/rear lights and wheels to the other

Nath - M1 wasn't too bad, M25 up my end was crawling for a bit.

Aimed to be doing my suspension now but my mate who has my axle stands is in clacton until next week
Going to ring dad and hope he will let me work down his yard
gavin18787
Premium Member

28th Aug 10 at 10:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was you at lakeside last night at about 5ish? I went after work to sort out a wedding present and saw a simular golf go past on the roundabout

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
Fro

29th Aug 10 at 08:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Na I was in leyton around that time. Big suspension saga story to come today
Fro

29th Aug 10 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Suspension horror story

Yesterday morning I decided to start doing my suspension bright and early so i could get it tracked etc and still enjoy the afternoon/evening. But as always nothing i do goes to plan

Get ready to start at 7 and encounter first problem - My mate is on holiday and my axle stands are locked in his car I also noticed i didnt have a deep 21 ring spanner.

So i made myself a cuppa then headed out just before 8 to get a spanner and some axle stands.

First stop Euro car parts Barking - no jacks/axle stands or the ring spanner i wanted. Next stop a larger Euro car parts in south woodford - sold out of axle stands and again no ring spanner.
Next stop was machine mart in leyton/walthamstow (east london) Manage to pick up a set of axle stands and a 2 ton trolley jack for 40 quid. They had deep ring spanners but none in 21mm
Next stop was a tool shop in leyton where some very old man managed to sort me out a 21mm ring spanner. Happy days i had everything

Drove back home and its about half 9 by the time i get back.

Time elapsed so far - 2.5 hours. Work done - Zero.

Decided to get started with the confidence i could still be done by lunch

opened up the bonnet went to use my nice shiney 21mm deep ring spanner and it was too chunky to fit in the top mount cup
So i hunted through my socket kit and found that one of the spark plug sockets was a 21 and because they have a hexagon head i could wack a spanner on the top whilst putting an allen key through the hole in the top to counter turn it
Drivers side top mount was whipped off by 10:30 - happy days.
Passenger side i could get to budge for love nor money. After getting annoyed and possible close to inducing a hernia I saw that the guy a couple doors down was working on his mini and he's a big lad so asked him to help. After a lot of tugging (ooo err) we managed to slacken it off.

Time elapsed - 4.25 hours. Work done - 2 loosened top nuts.

Jacked the car up and wacked it on axle stands

Whipped the wheels off and detached the brake lines and ABS sensor wires from each side.
I then took off the 4 hub bolts from each side fairly easily.
Back to the top nuts to remove them completely, drivers side came off no problems. Passenger side came half way up then jammed. I couldnt get it back on either, it was well and truly stuck. I must have played with it for about half hour and started rounding off the allen thread

Got my next door neighbour out to help me and we tried clamping the strut piston in place as the allen hole was no longer any good but we still couldnt get the fucker to move
In the end we got a massive pipe grip thing and he clamped it onto the strut top cup and i used a huge breaker bar on the nut. Finally it budged and then came off easily

Time elapsed - 5.5 hours - Work done - Removed front shocks

Lowered ones went on nice and simple, no drama here thank god!

After 6.25 hours the fronts were complete

Jacked the back up and supported on axle stands.

I set about removing the 2 lower 17mm bolts but they wouldnt move either

After an hour of struggling i thought fuck it, put the wheels back on, dropped it down, and went to the tyre shop 100m away, and gave them a fiver to slacken the bolts off.
Drove back home and jacked it up again.
Removed two lower bolts. Then removed the top strut bits and bobs, and then removed the shocks.

Put the lowered ones in at the bottom on each side and jacked the rear beam up so i could but all the top bits on. Came to put the first top nut on and it wouldnt screw down. Looked more closely and noticed the thread sizes were different so there was no chance in hell they would go on.

Tried to phone a couple people to take me to B and Q but no one was free, so out came the bike

Rode to B and Q in romford - about 7.5 mile round trip

Got the nuts then came back home. and wacked it all together and was finally done!

Total time taken - 9 Hours - Job done - Change front and rear shocks

Decided to do some wheel testing as i have 3 sets but need to get it down to 1.

The monty's i put on the other day..

I liked the look of them but the profile on the tyres was too small. These were in the lead so far as i could use the tyres from the other 16's.

Went to try the 17's but in comparison to the 16's they were ridiculously heavy! So decided against them straight away as i still want it to handle nice as i plan to do a couple track days etc.

Phoned dad up to see if he was still down the yard as he has a tyre machine

Got down there shortly after.

Cargo

While he was finishing up on a car i took a couple pics of his Colour concept.

And one of the two

Dad was ready so i unloaded the wheels and started taking mine off while he set to work with the tyres.

By the time they were on it was dark so no pics yet! Going to wash the car in a sec and get some up

And that's the end of my suspension saga

<<  4    5    6    7    8    9    10  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Mk3 Golf 2.8 VR6-an old new beginning! - Wheels are on. 24 database queries in 0.0201960 seconds