corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » She's Dead.....

New Poll
  <<  4    5    6    7    8    9    10  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author She's Dead.....
Russ

User status: Offline
9th Apr 13 at 06:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste
Basically, the government owned and ran all the mines. It was losing masive amounts of money (billions a year) as it was cheaper to import. Uk businesses could access imported coal cheaper so didn't renew contracts with uk govenment.

As any CEO in a bankrupt business would do, she closed it. Pissed off the people who worked there who wanted a communist style life.
be interesting to see what UK Coal has made (and lost) since 1994. I know they had a period of huge losses mainly due to tying themselves in to long term contracts but that was a few years back.
Ste
Premium Member

9th Apr 13 at 06:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think they made their first profit last year after closing a pit, but they mine something like 7million tonnes a year now compared to 38million tonnes 20 years ago.

I think all the yorkshire men wish they were still down there with pick axes. Probably don't realise that it's massively automated now and would need 10% of the man power needed 30 years ago.

Same with farming. One man on a modern tractor can do in a day what used to need 100 men in a week.

You got to move with the times and having hundreds of thousands of men who are on strike every other day was never going to work anyway

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
baza31

9th Apr 13 at 07:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think they are using her as a figure to blame . She was a figure head but she would not solely be to blame. Also maybe that decision was the best. That's what she was paid to do, if she had of kept them open it would of had a massive knock on effect for the rest of the country . It's narrow minded people and the people riding on the back of the country that will think because the service was cut and they lose their jobs that its her fault .
I don't think any government leaders have ever stood out to do anything good without taking more back .
All the half witted facebook/internet clan making negative comments that don't have a clue is a all most cringe worthy .

If only people was as vocal about our current government and broadcasted their opinions on today's affairs we might not be in the shit so deep

SVM 286

9th Apr 13 at 07:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=610887372259303

Fonz
Premium Member

9th Apr 13 at 08:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
How many people on here are old enough to even remember her being in power, not many

i predict less than can be counted on one hand were even old enough to vote!

Ste has it about right on page 5
a quote i heard on BBC Breakfast this morning - "Thatcher didnt ruin British Industry, British Industry ruined British Industry"
backing up the theory that everyone wants someone else to blame than themself and who better to blame than a politician?

i am 28 this year so remember little of her time in Office, so hard to claim any strong allegiance or hatred, although i have a lot of respect for her going to war over the Falklands and reuniting British patriotism then and since. (just a shame the MOD Forces have continued to shrink ever since)

the closure of mines and dealing with the union strikes would never be dealt with well, in all honesty, even with hindsight what could/would have been done differently be her or anyone else in her position?
based on Willay's wiki link it would seem that prior to her appointment the country was in a pretty shit state, and the COUNTRY voted her in, she answered the call and dealt with the issues, rightly or wrongly they got sorted.
neil h

9th Apr 13 at 08:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
I really, really dislike students. Its irrational but seeing news clips this morning of the ignorant cunts popping champagne in the streets is just fuel for my fire

That's students and band wagons I'm afraid
_Allan_

9th Apr 13 at 08:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm curious Fonz what political view point you had at 5.

I'm 33 and was 11 when she resigned and can tell you fuck all about her term in office other than ramblings from family about closures and poll tax. Did not give a fuck either way and was out on my bike

[Edited on 09-04-2013 by _Allan_]
Butler

9th Apr 13 at 08:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
I really, really dislike students. Its irrational but seeing news clips this morning of the ignorant cunts popping champagne in the streets is just fuel for my fire

I walked through Brixton last night and witnessed first-hand the 'party' and it absolutely enraged me. I thought being left-wing embraced compassion but it doesn't get much lower than celebrating death. Especially 23 years on. At least when Saddam died the people were liberated, but Thatchers legacy will live on. This guy sum it up best in my opinion... http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/apr/09/margaret-thatcher-ian-mcewan
LeeM

9th Apr 13 at 08:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

an actual street party? thats fucking low.
Butler

9th Apr 13 at 09:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/apr/08/margaret-thatcher-death-party-brixton-glasgow
3CorsaMeal

9th Apr 13 at 09:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by _Allan_

I'm 33 and was 11 when she resigned and can tell you fuck all about her term in office other than ramblings from family about closures and poll tax. Did not give a fuck either way and was out on my bike

[Edited on 09-04-2013 by _Allan_]

Exactly, i don't know how she affected me, and i look about and think i'm in a good position so can't be all that bad.

The more i hear about her on tv, the more i feel she was the type of leader we all moan that we haven't got these days.

She seemed to make decisions and we all know you can't please everybody. Would mining really be that great today, i bet people wouldn't go down them, would be full of foreigners doing the work because most of UK is too lazy or too proud to accept a job like that.

Its a bit like moaning the cutty sark isn't delivering our tea anymore
SVM 286

9th Apr 13 at 09:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
How many people on here are old enough to even remember her being in power, not many

Sadly, probably not. Sadder still, i'm one of the few.

I've watched the same shit happen with major. And blair And brown too. And now again with cameron and his little bitch boyfriend.

Our country has seen nothing but near sighted, self serving, greedy and ignorant government for decades now.

thatcher's death means nothing. It's too little, far too late.

I see no real future for Britain in the conventional sense. We're all on a downward spiral. The damage is done. It's so sad.
Colin

9th Apr 13 at 09:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It was thatcher who kicked off the mass privatisation of the uk's utilities. That should never have happened IMO basic necessities should never be handed control of to profit making institutions interested only in satisfying shareholders.
SVM 286

9th Apr 13 at 09:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Exactly Col. Our electricity is provided by a french firm. FRENCH FFS

And all their company vans in OUR country are made in france by french companies.

Why can't we get it right like that?
Tom

9th Apr 13 at 10:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
Our country has seen nothing but near sighted, self serving, greedy and ignorant government for decades now.

In a nutshell, and it's why so many are so dissinterested in politics nowadays.

Modern Britain was created by her, and what a 'nation' she made. I'm nearly too young to remember, but not quite.
Colin

9th Apr 13 at 11:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Over 50% of the uk's services previously controlled by gov are now owned by foreign companies. Bad way to be as a nation I think anyway. Thatchers government were all smoke and mirrors.
Ste
Premium Member

9th Apr 13 at 11:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

And all their company vans in OUR country are made in france by french companies.

We have though. Look at Saudi Arabia and and Oman. They pour billions into our economy each year buying fighter planes made in Britain by the privatised British Aerospace. A company that is now making huge profits and supporting the UK economy. Open your eyes

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
baza31

9th Apr 13 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
Over 50% of the uk's services previously controlled by gov are now owned by foreign companies. Bad way to be as a nation I think anyway. Thatchers government were all smoke and mirrors.

They seriously need to either take it back or cap the profits . It's shocking that they are making 600 million a year when people are strapped and that's after they have paid all the fat cats wages.
Steve
Premium Member

9th Apr 13 at 11:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im going fucking mental
Fonz
Premium Member

9th Apr 13 at 11:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

my point exactly!!
How these kids younger than me can have such a strong opinion which is nothing more than brainwashing from their parents/seniors is laughable to me!
JonnyJ

9th Apr 13 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Fonz
quote:

my point exactly!!
How these kids younger than me can have such a strong opinion which is nothing more than brainwashing from their parents/seniors is laughable to me!

Because some people are still feeling the effects. Ie football fans like me.
DaveyLC

9th Apr 13 at 12:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Steve
The only people that will be happy about this are smelly people from the north that used to work down the mines

Just corrected that for you
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

9th Apr 13 at 12:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

FOOOOOOOOOOTBALLLLLLLLL!
DaveyLC

9th Apr 13 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by JonnyJ
quote:
Originally posted by Fonz
quote:

my point exactly!!

Because some people are still feeling the effects. Ie football fans like me.

Another Agreement here!

As for the people who moan about the coal mines closing.. They were doomed anyway! Do people HONESTLY think this country would still be relying on coal-power in this day-and-age? There's like 7 coal power stations left and they are all to be shelved. Coal was dirty and out-dated as a power source even back then!

As for privatisation, yeah you can argue it releases some power from the Government but lets be fair even the remaining public services make a complete hash of it and vomit money.

She modernised what was a decaying country and almost eliminated national debt only for 3 odd terms of labour to come along and fuck that all up royally by deregulating the financial sector and selling out our final bit of control to the EU.

It does worry me that people who were barely teenagers at the time can say such terrible things about Thatcher when they lived through Blair and that epic bumbling idiot Brown!
SVM 286

9th Apr 13 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste
quote:

We have though. Look at Saudi Arabia and and Oman. They pour billions into our economy each year buying fighter planes made in Britain by the privatised British Aerospace. A company that is now making huge profits and supporting the UK economy. Open your eyes

My eyes are open Ste.

I don't want to row with anyone either.

I'm not talking about elite manufacturers producing low volume, high technology, for sale to the richest customers.

I'm talking about utilities, services and general industry.

I'm talking about a country that's capable of standing on it's own two feet and supporting itself.
A country with a functioning infrastructure that's self perpetuating from a standpoint of private and public backing.

For example, in general, the French make not particularly great cars (to put it politely), yet if you walk down your average street in France, the bulk of the vehicles parked up are French made.

French government and municipal vehicles are invariably French made also.

Their industries seem better backed by both their people and those that run the country.

This has been the way there for a long time. We should be able to have the same.

We don't make enough. We import too much and export too little. It's simple economics.

We have become a service industry based economy. That's just not stable. Too many eggs in one basket.

I'm not picking fights, i'm merely making an example.

<<  4    5    6    7    8    9    10  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » She's Dead..... 23 database queries in 0.0177770 seconds