corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  67    68    69    70    71    72    73  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
neil h

User status: Offline
31st Oct 14 at 09:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris_uk
What pads were you using neil and did you use it on track?

On the standard 4 pots? No idea, they were what ever the previous owner fitted. As for track use, I haven't yet but it's something I intend on doing at some point.
SteveoBC
Premium Member

31st Oct 14 at 11:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kyle how have your mounted your go pro??

[Edited on 31-10-2014 by SteveoBC]
SteveoBC
Premium Member

31st Oct 14 at 16:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SteveoBC

never mind, scrolled throught the thread and found out haha
chris_uk
Premium Member

31st Oct 14 at 16:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by neil h
quote:
What pads were you using neil and did you use it on track?

On the standard 4 pots? No idea, they were what ever the previous owner fitted. As for track use, I haven't yet but it's something I intend on doing at some point.

Ah so your comment 'night and day difference' is utterly meaningless then.

Without any idea of the pads you had before and you havent abused the new ones on track (do you know what your current ones are?), how can you start to make a comparison at all between your ap's and kyles 4pots. For all you know kyles 4pots could be out performing your ap's.

--ToM--

31st Oct 14 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sounds to me like people are too keen to lash money on expensive branded parts on the assumption the better the name and the more they spend the more performance is going to be achieved, not necessarily correct, there's no reason why brembos won't do the job more than adequately if set up correctly I.e decent discs and the right pads
Kyle T
Premium Member

1st Nov 14 at 00:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Good discussion but I think a couple of people are being as bad at assuming the Brembo's are "fine" because they've got Brembo written on them as I am assuming the APs will be better! It's not uncommon to hear about the Subaru fitment of Brembo's be described as poor, cheap, terrible, etc. Having a set of red Brembos may be the wet dream of most hot-hatch owners but the ones supplied on the STI aren't "all that". Braking performance aside, they're cheaply put together and very rarely come off of a car without the need for drilling and tapping.

To clarify, I've got "track rated" disks and pads in, from reputable manufacturers and get good reviews from various different marque forums.

I could upgrade the disks, Performance Friction seem to be the pinnacle of what's reasonably available but a set of disks would set me back 700-800quid alone.

I'm still not sure what route I'll go, but the influencing factors are:

Rebuilding the Brembo's will be cheaper, and might solve my braking stability issues as I may well have been carrying a sticky piston for the last few track days.

Rebuilding the Brembo's is appealing to me because I get to fanny around and do a bit of DIY, with hopefully satisfying results. Readers of this thread know I enjoy that type of tinkering.

Rebuilding the Brembo's will still be an investment of a few hundred quid even if the disks are fine after inspection. That may end up as a sunk cost if I eventually move onto APs regardless (read my coilover history).

AP's are shiney, and I like buying shiney stuff.

AP's offer better ultimate performance on paper if the reviews are to be believed. I'll never really know though, as Chris has alluded to most people rarely swap calipers and stick with exactly the same disk/pad combos.

As for Chris' comment of "is the seconds shaved from a lap time worth the cost"? Of course not - it's not a competition car so every penny spent over and above just having a reliable car is wasted. It's not why/how I run this car though as I thought might have become apparent before now! If I wanted the best bang for buck track car for the same coin I've spent so far on this - I'd probably have a lotus badge on it or something like that.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

1st Nov 14 at 00:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

never mind, scrolled throught the thread and found out haha

Genius, I know.

I'll make you one for 1500quid

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
--ToM--

1st Nov 14 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When I had my classic shape sti that was 430bhp and used on track and I ran a brembo set up with dot 5 silicpne fluid braided flexis and decent discs and pads and it never under performed and it got driven very very hard by both me and my pal I sold it too lol
neil h

1st Nov 14 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Ah so your comment 'night and day difference' is utterly meaningless then.

Without any idea of the pads you had before and you havent abused the new ones on track (do you know what your current ones are?), how can you start to make a comparison at all between your ap's and kyles 4pots. For all you know kyles 4pots could be out performing your ap's.

If you read my earlier post properly you'd have seen that I'm using Ferodo DS2500s on the APs and that I wasn't making a comparison with Kyles 4 pots. I was merely stating that the difference between my standard 4 pots and the AP kit was a profound one.

As for the track use bit, I'm sorry I'm not one of CS proper leet track drivers. I'll keep my thoughts/opinions to myself next time.
chris_uk
Premium Member

1st Nov 14 at 12:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was just saying that your thoughts didnt help kyle as there was no subject for comparison..

DS2500's are ok pads, but no where near the good stuff you can get now.
VrsTurbo
Premium Member

2nd Nov 14 at 05:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ds2500 are garbage compared to proper pads, but at the end of the day you need to go for the best for what you use the car for.
Kyle T
Premium Member

17th Nov 14 at 08:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Home now, and staying in this country for the forseeable!

This means it's time to crack on, first job was to collect my headers from a friend who has been holding them for some months.

Got them home, and matched up with my long held up-pipe and recently re-obtained turbocharger.

All of these parts are decat, with the exception of the cat which is clearly cat.

I couldn't help myself with a little mock-up either:

The Up-pipe you can see in the background with the darker heatwrap is what comes with the headers. The UP that comes with the headers like these is rarely used because it's a higher bore and contributes to turbo lag.

Today I'm off work and planning to go through to AET Turbo's who are quite local to verify that my turbo has indeed got one of their compressor wheels in it, and see what they can do to verify the quality of the rebuild.

After that, I've got one more thing to buy and one maybe.

FMIC is needed, debating whether to pickup a 200quid japspeed jobby or spend a bit more (just under 500quid) and go for a HDi Hybrid. It's not a case of spending more to chase more power, as both would exceed my requirements but more looking for a quality product that'll fit well and will last.

Second issue to debate is whether to proactively replace my clutch or not. Plenty of people run their OEM clutch on and around the 400bhp mark but there's no question that the longevity will be affected. I'm thinking whilst the car is in the shop I should just get it done so I've got confidence enjoying the car after all the upgrades.

Thing is, if I'm adding a clutch I might aswell go lightened flywheel - so that becomes another 5-600quid without labour.

Will think about it for a few more days, then I'll make some purchases and get it booked in. Early christmas present

Also decided to go with a refurb on the Brembo's for now and some new pads, rather than the APs. Need to have one more splurge on the Impreza then hopefully be rewarded with a 2015 of reliable cheap running... but we'll see about that

[Edited on 17-11-2014 by Kyle T]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
SteveoBC
Premium Member

17th Nov 14 at 10:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

said you were going de-cat??

i clearly see a scratching post in the mock up...lies Kyle! Lies!
Ben G

17th Nov 14 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How many bhp's does the cat scratcher give?
AK

17th Nov 14 at 13:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

buy a set of 356mm KSport.

Cant fault them, using Carbotech XP10
Kyle T
Premium Member

17th Nov 14 at 13:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cat scratcher worth at least 10bhp. Turbo weighs a tonne though, so my little mock-up didn't sit too well without it

AK - had a chat this morning to the guys at Richard Henry about KSports, they rate them highly for my car - said AP's are proper competition calipers and as such suffer more from road wear/tear and require regular rebuilds... not sure how true that is.

Either way, refurbing the Brembo's for now - will see how they get on with a fresh set of seals and a lick of paint

Also talked FMIC's with Andy @ Richard Henry - they're huge fans of the 200quid Japspeed jobbies... and he runs one on his sprint car, along with loads of other cars they built. It's hard to ignore them really, with the next reasonable alternative being 500quid it's looking like a Japspeed no-brainer.

After further discussions, my shopping list is now:

- Japspeed FMIC
- Exedy Racing stage 1 clutch (rated for 450bhp)
- 6.7kgs lightened flywheel
- K&N Cone for the FMIC kit (airbox will no longer fit)
- Timing Belt kit
- Oil Cooler kit with thermo plate

Once I get it booked in, they will be fitting the above along with the turbo (pending health check/verification), headers, uppipe, injectors and FPR which I've already bought.

On top of that, they suggested converting to parallel fuel rails whilst I'm at it (not sure what's involved in that yet) and picking up an aftermarket timing belt guide as the factory one can deform or something.

Oil cooler is something I think I'm on the threshold of wanting right now as I'm sitting at 110degrees C during track sessions, and I guess more power will increase that.

The Richard Henry guys tried to talk me into removing the AC and rotating the inlet manifold (means for shorter piping for the FMIC hence less lag), but I'm not sure I want to go that drastic. Losing the AC particularly will be annoying in summer.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
AK

17th Nov 14 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oil cooler should have been on the list about 10 trackdays ago

Kyle T
Premium Member

17th Nov 14 at 13:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Remember I do get carsick after 3 laps so have to pull over

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BarnshaW

17th Nov 14 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice bits mate, I will have to have a look but I am pretty certain I still have a 25 row mocal oil cooler somewhere off my first impreza, took it off because it was overkill, if I can find it you are welcome to it.
BarnshaW

17th Nov 14 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

scrap that,, i got rid of it, i remember now, sorry about that
Wrighty

17th Nov 14 at 20:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

kin ell fonz now we're talking
Kyle T
Premium Member

17th Nov 14 at 21:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
scrap that,, i got rid of it, i remember now, sorry about that

It's the thought that counts

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

17th Nov 14 at 21:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Wrighty
kin ell fonz now we're talking

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
FlaFFy_91
Premium Member

17th Nov 14 at 22:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Scrap the ac! If it's too hot in the summer crack a window oped
As for the japspeed stuff. I rate it quite highly to be honest. Seen a lot of there stuff recently as I've been spending quite a bit of time with my mate gav, he's very good mates with the guy that owns japspeed so always has bits lying round for his own cars from them. Never seen bad workmanship on them and they've all lasted with gav and his lad driving them
Nice list though. Looks like it's going to be in for some nice power. Looking forward to the next few bits
Kyle T
Premium Member

18th Nov 14 at 07:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Flaffy, good info.

RE: Aircon - Perhaps, I think I'll keep it for now. It gives me another job to do later in 2015 if I get bored/fidgety to drop the AC and reverse my inlet.

RE: Japspeed - it seems that these cheap "eBay" intercoolers are quite popular. Seems like a bonkers market though, can pay 2grand for a Perrin FMIC kit or 200quid from Japspeed. Both claim they'll run big power, and I've heard no horror stories with regards to build quality or whatever. It's got to be worth a punt.

I just had another thought too, my current exhaust setup is borderline on the Blyton Park driveby sound limit. With new headers, bigger turbo etc - I'm guessing that I'll exceed those limits so need to think about another backbox.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

<<  67    68    69    70    71    72    73  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0451031 seconds