corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  68    69    70    71    72    73    74  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
Simon_16v

User status: Offline
18th Nov 14 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about a bung for your current exhaust?
AK

18th Nov 14 at 13:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just bin the AC and leave the inlet for now

AC is a good 15kg+ and pretty much pointless in the UK (my opinion, but I live in Scotland)

The white car has OE position inlet, blue reversed newage (VVT heads). Honest opinion is dont bother unless trying to eeek out every lat bit of power.

Same with parallel rails - i only did it as I was changing injectors and FPR.

FMIC - tried a few over the years

Greddy 3" - was ok but had fin damage
HDI GT SPec - crap
Both cars are now running 4" EDS coolers - massive drops in air temps
Kyle T
Premium Member

18th Nov 14 at 13:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers AK.

Ignoring your comments on AC because Scotland

I did some (really rough) maths and I worked out that reversing the inlet is only worth about a meter of pipe (if that) which is approx. 4litres of air. Based on the throughput of these turbo's at 20psi+ we're talking fractions of fractions of a second quicker to spool.

I am changing injectors and FPR so I guess going parallel makes sense too? Not sure on the benefits mind...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

18th Nov 14 at 13:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon_16v
What about a bung for your current exhaust?

Maybe

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

18th Nov 14 at 13:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh Turbo has been given a clean bill of health. They only externally inspected it but everything fell within tolerances apparently.

They can strip it down and inspect further - but will be a couple hundred quid of labour, and the fella who's looked at it said he'd have no problems fitting it to his car.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
AK

18th Nov 14 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fuel rails

takes away a possibly issue on one inj getting less than others due to being at the end of the rail.

I dont buy it to be honest as the rail is pressurised but still, braided lines and billet rails were much easier to work with than the shite OE stuff
Kyle T
Premium Member

18th Nov 14 at 15:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does it look better? If so I'm there.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
daymoon
Premium Member

23rd Nov 14 at 22:57   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Kyle, the fella that took your car to Bradford and done your balancing few weeks ago - he has top notch tracking system now. full laser adjustment. £30
CORSA NUT

23rd Nov 14 at 23:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You want to keep the AC? Fucks sake Kyle

Anyway I ran a cheap hybrid FMIC on my 320bhp classic for over a year with no problems.... But don't skimp on the clamps as cheap ones blow off. Can't think of the name of the ones I had...Magna something.

I had to fit a Bailey DV and K&N at the same time for space reasons and the sound was Proper chatter when lifting off the throttle that everyone seems to want on there turbo car. Still miss it terribly
CORSA NUT

23rd Nov 14 at 23:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Arrrrr Murray Constant pressure clamps they were called
Kyle T
Premium Member

24th Nov 14 at 10:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by daymoon
Kyle, the fella that took your car to Bradford and done your balancing few weeks ago - he has top notch tracking system now. full laser adjustment. £30

Good to know

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

24th Nov 14 at 10:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
You want to keep the AC? Fucks sake Kyle

Anyway I ran a cheap hybrid FMIC on my 320bhp classic for over a year with no problems.... But don't skimp on the clamps as cheap ones blow off. Can't think of the name of the ones I had...Magna something.

I had to fit a Bailey DV and K&N at the same time for space reasons and the sound was Proper chatter when lifting off the throttle that everyone seems to want on there turbo car. Still miss it terribly

Yes the AC is staying until I've got a different car for "normal" driving, which can't happen until I move house

Good shout on the clamps, when I get the FMIC kit I'll count up all the clamps and get something decent ordered.

Mine will be going K&N (it's on its way), MAF-less and a blanked off DV - should sound epic

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
DaveyLC

24th Nov 14 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm with you Kyle.. I can't fucking stand not having AC.. No body wants to wait 7 years for a windscreen to demist.
BarnshaW

24th Nov 14 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I found blanking the DV off on mine made it worse when trying to re-apply the throttle, I know it stalls the turbo but even going back to a recirc DV the difference was night and day, did make a good noise with the chatter but made no improvement to performance and probably only does damage to the turbo in the long run (yes I know people say it is fine on journal bearing turbos) but just stick with the standard recirc and get an adapter for it.
Kyle T
Premium Member

24th Nov 14 at 12:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BarnshaW
I found blanking the DV off on mine made it worse when trying to re-apply the throttle, I know it stalls the turbo but even going back to a recirc DV the difference was night and day, did make a good noise with the chatter but made no improvement to performance and probably only does damage to the turbo in the long run (yes I know people say it is fine on journal bearing turbos) but just stick with the standard recirc and get an adapter for it.

Were you still running a MAF?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

24th Nov 14 at 12:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.scoobynet.com/general-technical-10/941190-sc36-sc38-sc40-turbos-and-running-dv-less.html

quote:

I am already running DV less on current setup and much prefer it, the current turbo im using is a BB turbo and has been fine with it for over 10k miles, just wondering should i opt for one of the SC turbos listed whether it would be happy to run DV Less , i note they are sleeve bearing turbos.

[Edited on 24-11-2014 by Kyle T]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
BarnshaW

24th Nov 14 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep, still with Maf at the time, when that post was on I had an APS recirc valve, the blanked DV was better then that, but at a later stage (not on the thread) I went back to a standard recirc (and got the adapter off Harvey) and this was far better then both.

If you are adamant on DV less I still got the bungs for blanking off the pipes you can have for free
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

24th Nov 14 at 15:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

than*
BarnshaW

24th Nov 14 at 16:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shut up you ugly twat
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

25th Nov 14 at 02:13   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

YO MOMMA
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Nov 14 at 09:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You two finished?

Been ordering parts like a mad man, hoping that everything is here by Monday in which case the car will be going to Bradford on Monday afternoon to start work.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Toby
Premium Member

26th Nov 14 at 13:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do these turbos hold up when running without a BOV? I would be tempted to run a up-rated recirc valve with a stiffer spring as a compromise to help with longevity of the turbo.
Kyle T
Premium Member

26th Nov 14 at 14:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The VF series which my car has currently got wouldn't like it, but the TD series turbo I'm moving to is fine with it.

I've got a worthless 2 year warranty on it (as if I'd send this thing back to Scotland ) but he did say that the Warranty allows for running DVless as do Scoobyclinic and Lateral with their turbo offerings.

Putting the factory recirc back won't be too hard with a bit of inventive plumbing and its perfectly fit for purpose if the noise annoys me or if the driving style doesn't suit.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

28th Nov 14 at 21:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got everything now with the exception of the induction kit and the clutch/flywheel. Both those packages are held by UPS and will be delivered on Monday. I've got the day off, so will await the packages and then take the car through to Bradford for installation

One problem is the FMIC... it came in two boxes, perfectly packaged pipework/brackets in one and then the core in another. The core box was fucked, barely just cardboard taped to the core

As an apparent result:

I e-mailed the seller and I bought the last one, which was backed up by the quantity on the eBay page. He reckons (and I agree) that the damage doesn't seem to have touched any of the bars which would contain the pressurised air, so the damage is probably just aesthetic.

He's advised me that he's due new stock early 2015, and that I should fit it and he'll honor a replacement whenever he gets stock.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
nibnob21
Premium Member

29th Nov 14 at 07:36   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can't really argue with that. Make sure you remember to remind him, gives you one to sell on and recoup a bit of the money!

MX5 Project Thread

<<  68    69    70    71    72    73    74  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0427878 seconds