corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Official Summer Transfers/Banter Thread

New Poll
  <<  71    72    73    74    75    76    77  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Official Summer Transfers/Banter Thread
Russ

User status: Offline
23rd Jun 11 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member

Tom, you DO NOT want clichy and you don't want downing for that price either
Tom

23rd Jun 11 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member

How do you know what I want?

Clichy for £7m-£9m would be decent imo, probably a similar level to Enrique and as I say, he could improve with a new challenge. I'd rather have Baines (or Coentrao) but we are probably thinking about spending more of our money in other (arguably more pressing) positions where we need strengthening.

I'm on the fence about Downing, he's a solid player who hasn't necessarily set the world on fire but has consistently done a job that we haven't had anyone capable of doing for a number of years.

I've accepted that money in football has gone mad, as long as we aren't putting loads of debt onto the club then i'm happy for us to do what we can to tie up our 1st choice targets.

[Edited on 23-06-2011 by Tom]
Russ

23rd Jun 11 at 10:07   View User's Profile U2U Member

Tom, were you not here for the thread about Clichy where i tore him apart and made robbo all but vanish from sports day :E
Cavey

23rd Jun 11 at 10:15   View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:
Originally posted by Tom
Apparently Clichy has been sold to PSG for £10m

http://www.welcometothegunnerstown.com/arsenal/2011/6/22/wttgt-exclusive-arsenal-defender-sold.html

[Edited on 23-06-2011 by Tom]

I said it earlier in the thread, PSG are loaded, they've owned by Arabs. If it was possible to back them for the french league next year it'd be worth it imo
Jamie Walby

23rd Jun 11 at 10:17   View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:
Originally posted by Tom
quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Walby
Do you want Clichy Tom?

I'm torn tbh, I think he's stagnated a little in the last few seasons hasn't he? I've heard he's a bit of a speed merchant with little end product in attack (i'm talking about whipping a ball in, but I suppose he's not really been asked to do that at Arsenal) and that he's a little suspect when defending (in a positional sense rather than decision making), but in saying that he's still only 25 and he could turn out to be a great signing for the numbers being touted and he's going to be better than what we have currently (Fabio injured half the time and a very young Robinson) and will keep a resale value if we want rid in a few years. I can't help but think he'd improve under clarke.

I'm interested in your take Jamie

I agree with you on all parts. His only real attribute is his speed in my opinion. He farts around on the ball when he should just get rid of it, he gets caught in all kinds of dodgy positions and his final ball just isnt there.

He could be better than he is, I always think of him as a player that got to where he is because of his speed.

I would be happy to see him leave if the price is ok, I would say £7-8m is more than enough, and we have a decent replacement lined up. Gibbs could play there but I think he still has a lot to learn, though I do consider him a better defender than Clichy.

I would rather he didnt go to another prem club though..... That same old clichy.....
Nath

23rd Jun 11 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Tom, you DO NOT want clichy and you don't want downing for that price either
Russ

23rd Jun 11 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member

alot of players are only where they are becuase they have out run police a few times.

Walcott, Young, Cole.

notice a theme
Jamie Walby

23rd Jun 11 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member

Are they all from Wolverhampton?
Russ

23rd Jun 11 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member

all went to Poole on holiday
mwg

23rd Jun 11 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member

For anyone questioning the signing of Ashley Young:

Since the start of the 2006/07 season, only Cesc Fabregas (60) has made more PL assists than Ashley Young (44)
Hammer

23rd Jun 11 at 10:44   View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
For anyone questioning the signing of Ashley Young:

Distinctly uninspiring.
mwg

23rd Jun 11 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member

He's not world class no, if thats what you are getting at.

I think people are missing the point though. He gives us more strength in depth. There were times last season we had no wingers! And he's a proven goalscorer/assist player in the Premier League! Plus he can use both feet.

[Edited on 23-06-2011 by mwg]
Tom

23rd Jun 11 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Tom
quote:
Do you want Clichy Tom?

I'm torn tbh, I think he's stagnated a little in the last few seasons hasn't he? I've heard he's a bit of a speed merchant with little end product in attack (i'm talking about whipping a ball in, but I suppose he's not really been asked to do that at Arsenal) and that he's a little suspect when defending (in a positional sense rather than decision making), but in saying that he's still only 25 and he could turn out to be a great signing for the numbers being touted and he's going to be better than what we have currently (Fabio injured half the time and a very young Robinson) and will keep a resale value if we want rid in a few years. I can't help but think he'd improve under clarke.

I'm interested in your take Jamie

I agree with you on all parts. His only real attribute is his speed in my opinion. He farts around on the ball when he should just get rid of it, he gets caught in all kinds of dodgy positions and his final ball just isnt there.

He could be better than he is, I always think of him as a player that got to where he is because of his speed.

I would be happy to see him leave if the price is ok, I would say £7-8m is more than enough, and we have a decent replacement lined up. Gibbs could play there but I think he still has a lot to learn, though I do consider him a better defender than Clichy.

I would rather he didnt go to another prem club though..... That same old clichy.....

Letting players leave to other PL clubs always makes me a bit nervous, even if I don't rate them that highly, I was happy that Babel went to Germany for example.

As I say, I would be happy with Clichy on the basis that he may learn and that he's an upgrade on what we have. I wouldn't say I'd be particularly 'excited' by it though.

quote:
Originally posted by mwg

I think people are missing the point though. He gives us more strength in depth. There were times last season we had no wingers! And he's a proven goalscorer/assist player in the Premier League! Plus he can use both feet.

Young definitely stagnanted (word of the day) at Villa. He's got pace and is definitely a useful player (both wings) but there's still question marks over his ability to change games, and be able to consistently perform over a season. If he breaks into the United team, and plays consistently though, I can see him getting better.
I would definitely question him automatically taking Nani's place though (if that's the plan).

I have to say though, United's signings so far have been a bit strange in terms of order of priority. In my mind, you definitely to improve your midfield this summer. Scholes retiring, Giggs inevetably playing less (played a bit in CM last season), Hargreaves off (big impact that one ), Gibson potentially leaving, which leaves you with little options on the creativity front through the middle. Carrick doesn't offer that spark you need from the middle imo, same with Fletcher and Anderson. I'd say you need to add at least 2 CM players this summer and you've already spent £35m+ of your 'warchest' and are yet to get a 'keeper. Interested to see who you get bring in.
Hammer

23rd Jun 11 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:
Originally posted by mwg

I like him, I think he's a good player but the current United side are the champions of England and were 2nd best in Europe last season. Even taking into account players need replaced and the squad needs fresh legs are Jones and Young next level players?

Unless United pull off someone like Sneijder I can seen them struggling in Europe next season especially.
Ben D

23rd Jun 11 at 12:25   View User's Profile U2U Member

Maybe Fergie wont buy a new Creative CM and he will just drop Rooney into Centre mid full time instead? it makes sense considering how many strikers we have this season?
Nath

23rd Jun 11 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member

Rooney is wasted in midfield.
mwg

23rd Jun 11 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member

I do agree with Tom & Hammer about needing centre mids.

Sneijder would absolutely make my day and be exactly the kind of player we need. Young and Jones are good signings for the squad and for the future so I'm pleased about them coming but we do need that special someone in the middle. It would be very annoying if by getting those 2 that it meant we didn't have the money to bring him in. Their combined transfer fees would buy Sneijder or at least cover 95% of his fee.
mwg

23rd Jun 11 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member

So I guess really I am pleased with the additions from a squad point of view but thinking (hoping) there is a class centre mid coming in as well.

Nath

23rd Jun 11 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member

Can't see Sneijder going anywhere.
mwg

23rd Jun 11 at 12:56   View User's Profile U2U Member

We need to bring Jason Walker in.
Nath

23rd Jun 11 at 12:58   View User's Profile U2U Member

I thought you were Jason Walker?
Ben D

23rd Jun 11 at 13:05   View User's Profile U2U Member

I see Young has been confirmed by United.

NVM

[Edited on 23-06-2011 by Ben D]
Nath

23rd Jun 11 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member

£17m for somebody with 1 year left on their deal Unbelievable
mwg

23rd Jun 11 at 13:34   View User's Profile U2U Member

Dont believe it unless I see a quote from Man United saying thats what they paid.
Nath

23rd Jun 11 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
Dont believe it unless I see a quote from Man United saying thats what they paid.

Just ask Tom m8.

<<  71    72    73    74    75    76    77  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Official Summer Transfers/Banter Thread 23 database queries in 0.0298870 seconds