corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*

New Poll
  <<  71    72    73    74    75    76    77  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD*
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
15th Jan 15 at 23:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Andy F is definitely up there with the mapping celebrities!

Bit out of range for me mind.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
alan t

15th Jan 15 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah always heard good things about him! Lovely car as well by the way kyle, dont post much on here so dont think ive ever commented on the car. A impreza has always been my dream car as well so will hopefully own one as some point!
Kyle T
Premium Member

16th Jan 15 at 16:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by alan t
Yeah always heard good things about him! Lovely car as well by the way kyle, dont post much on here so dont think ive ever commented on the car. A impreza has always been my dream car as well so will hopefully own one as some point!

Thanks Alan, appreciate the comments. They're at a good price now right through the various ages - good time to be a Scooby owner!

Right, good day!

Left home at 0730 and walked to the train station, the walk turned into a sprint - as I misread the train times. No worries, got on the train.

Got into Bradford at about 0845 and started the walk over to Richard Henry's. It's about a mile, and it was kinda snowing. 50yards into the hike, and I hear a familiar burble. Look up the road to see my car on its final shakedown, but the fuckers drove straight past me despite my frantic waving

Arrived at the shop puffing and panting, and bollocked them all for driving past me. They showed me round the engine bay, braided hoses everywhere They'd had one little mishap, presumably when cutting the bumper for the FMIC... a little scratch on the bumper, meh.

The Mapper was due to arrive at 09:30 - so had a coffee and just talked shit for a while, checking out their other projects and bits and pieced. Andrew Carr arrived bang on time, and got to work on one of my FMIC pipes. It needed drilling and tapping for an intake air temp sensor which would complete the measurements which used to be dealt with by the MAF.

After a the FMIC was all plumbed back together - he started on all his other sensors and bits and pieces before doing some basic setup on idle.

We paused for breakfast butties, then he was on his way for a road run.

I stayed at the shop and talked some more crap.

Half an hour or so later, Andrew pulls back in - with what looked to be a frown. The other Andy (from RH) went over for a chat, which i tried to listen in on. I was sure in my head the turbo was a duff - and that it was causing issues. As it happened though, he wasn't getting enough fuel - and the car was leaning out bigtime on boost.

I bought a 340lph fuel pump for this install, but RH had struggled to get it fit in with my Spec-C anti surge tank thingy. As a result, the 255lph had gone back in.

We decided to change out for the 340 and run without the Spec-C tank - to see what happened. All hands on deck, and fuel pump was swapped in minutes and Andrew was off again.

He was probably away for close to an hour, and came back with what looked to be a smile - then a thumbs up

Car was breathing really well, and still needed more fuel than he expected - but was healthy. He warned me what I already knew, which was that it would feel a bit damp under 3k RPM - but described it as "quite quick" over 4k.

One last check under the bonnet, and he was off and I went to thaw out whilst the lads put my rear bench back in.

Drive home was annoying at first, went the wrong way and ended up in 30mph/stop/start for 20mins Finally got to the motorway and hit boost for the first time. It's such an event now, wooshes and swooshes from all over the place - and when it really comes on it's ballistic. Had to tweak the peak warning on my boost gauge a bit, as it seems I'm making 25psi now (23 previously) and temperatures/pressures all looked great.

The lack of dumpvalve/recirc valve sounds hilarious - flutter at low boost and a full on swoosh when going for it. Drives really, really smooth at both low speed and at pace, new clutch/flywheel feels excellent with no strange noises or smells.

Got it back to Selby, and went a back way to find a quiet B road. Pulled over and gave launch control a try. I had no instructions, so just pulled up and floored it. RPMs held at just over 5k and boost was building, just dropped the clutch and then I'm pretty sure the world went backwards a little bit Lost traction on all four wheels for about half a second then it gripped up and I was off! No smell of clutch, just a bit of wheel hop on the fronts. Can't wait to try it with warm R888s.

Pictures! Engine bay needs a cleanup now, the loss of TMIC and AirCon has exposed a lot of grubby - so steam cleaner and wire brush will be out soon enough I reckon.

Really happy with the combo of the silver FMIC and the black grille. Keeps it a bit subtle, but still looks menacing.

Snorkle thingy modified and refitted for the cone filter.

Will get some closeups on a better day, there are some great details in there with the fuel system.

Hope to get on a Dyno soon, probably when we revisit the fuel pump - to see what's going on

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
taylorboosh

16th Jan 15 at 16:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think vids are appropriate
Kyle T
Premium Member

16th Jan 15 at 16:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Got a manic weekend, so might have to wait a week

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
SteveoBC
Premium Member

16th Jan 15 at 16:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nice

but yeh, vids are in order i think Kyle

lol amazing the amount of pipework required for a FMIC

Any idea on HP you're pushing out now?
Kyle T
Premium Member

16th Jan 15 at 16:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SteveoBC
nice

but yeh, vids are in order i think Kyle

lol amazing the amount of pipework required for a FMIC

Any idea on HP you're pushing out now?

Rotated inlet would reduce it by about 2feet... but when you do the maths on how much air that actually is, it's barely worth anything in boost build-up time.

Really not sure, I'd hate to guess - Turbo should be good for a safe 380 if it was on the car with OEM intercooler and injectors and fuelling stuff... I've changed all that too, so might still be 380 if the turbo is a bit gimp - but might be more.

I'll await a Dyno day with anticipation. I'm not ashamed to admit it, I want pub figures

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
taylorboosh

16th Jan 15 at 16:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lol it can handle it though

Most evo owners say dont go over 400 - so this id imagine is similar
Kyle T
Premium Member

16th Jan 15 at 16:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
Lol it can handle it though

Most evo owners say dont go over 400 - so this id imagine is similar

450 seems to be the breakpoint for the internals on an STI, Gearbox is good for more - and I've covered off the clutch with an upgrade.

I'll be honest, if by some miracle it makes over 400 (unlikely without Meth I think) I may be a little nervous and ask for it to be tweaked down a bit - but if everything is within safe operating parameters...

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
taylorboosh

16th Jan 15 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I meant for drivability
Darryl H
Organiser: South Central
Premium Member

16th Jan 15 at 18:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great news Kyle! Glad you've finally got it back and can drive it! Looking forward to seeing vids

|My Corsa|SC|My Instagram|
Kyle T
Premium Member

16th Jan 15 at 18:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by taylorboosh
I meant for drivability

I'm with you now.

Just been out for a little tootle around, it's good fun

From a rolling start in first, even on a semi-damp and cold road on shit tyres it still hooks up perfectly through the gears. Launches from standing are a little more lairy though, and coming on boost round a roundabout is not something I dare try yet

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Kyle T
Premium Member

16th Jan 15 at 18:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Darryl H
Great news Kyle! Glad you've finally got it back and can drive it! Looking forward to seeing vids

Cheers! Will get some vids up soon.

Thinking of ways to mount my go-pro aiming at the clocks for a launch video... I daren't look at the speedo in real time!

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Ben G

16th Jan 15 at 19:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is incredible looks massively more awesome with the fmic installed.
Simon_16v

16th Jan 15 at 23:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can definitely say that its fucking quick, you'd think its been fitted with a super short ratio box the way it goes through gears.
Wrighty

17th Jan 15 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

coming on nicely now fonz
Sean-B

17th Jan 15 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesome work. 380bhp is such an awesome amount of power isn't it! Shame the alternator is the most prominent component in the engine bay of these!
BeetleGav

17th Jan 15 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Awesome power gains to be had but hell the engine bays look so shit when the top mount is removed!
I'd wrap the pipes in that gold heat reflective stuff just to try make it look different as a distraction
Toby
Premium Member

17th Jan 15 at 15:03   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Great work Kyle. Can't wait to see it go! Just in the realms of getting mine booked in for various buts!
Kyle T
Premium Member

18th Jan 15 at 20:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sean-B
Awesome work. 380bhp is such an awesome amount of power isn't it! Shame the alternator is the most prominent component in the engine bay of these!

Might have to get a blingy alternator cover to hide it

quote:
Originally posted by BeetleGav
Awesome power gains to be had but hell the engine bays look so shit when the top mount is removed!
I'd wrap the pipes in that gold heat reflective stuff just to try make it look different as a distraction

I agree the engine bay has lots it's "iconic" appearance with the TMIC but I still like the new layout. It's got lots of scope for tidying up which I'll do when I get a free weekend! I don't like the FMIC piping painted black, but a friend has had some done in a gunmetal colour which looks a bit better - and I may copy off Will see how it looks all cleaned up first.

quote:
Originally posted by Toby
Great work Kyle. Can't wait to see it go! Just in the realms of getting mine booked in for various buts!

Good stuff, got anything booked trackday wise yet?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
CORSA NUT

18th Jan 15 at 23:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Couldn't be happier for you mate or more jealous
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

18th Jan 15 at 23:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my brothers p1 was around 380. it was unreal!
Kyle T
Premium Member

19th Jan 15 at 22:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Only had the car back two minutes and I've been tinkering again.

Something was pissing me off prior to sending in for the work, and has only got worse with my launch control shenanigans.

The gauges in my pod keep twisting round and coming loose - so they're not sat straight, so out they came tonight!

They're held in only by some rubber band things you can see below. They also have some little studs and nuts, so there must be a bracket available for them too which I'm missing:

The proper bodge would be to make a bracket, but using only the materials I had with me tonight (the missus' cross-stitch kit) I fabricated a solution inspired by those wheelnuts on big lorries.

They're very snug now, and I spent time ramming the rubber band in with a knife. Will look into proper solutions for next time they come loose (if they do).

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
SteveoBC
Premium Member

19th Jan 15 at 23:58   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes they are missing the brackets mate, as I bought mine new, mine all came with one in the box
SteveoBC
Premium Member

20th Jan 15 at 00:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Btw, how much of an arse where they to plumb in yourself, boost gauge is relatively straight forward, where did you plug yours in fro oil temp/pressure?

<<  71    72    73    74    75    76    77  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Projects and Builds » Subaru Impreza WRX STI *SOLD* 24 database queries in 0.0343180 seconds