corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Bike Day 2013

New Poll
  <<  74    75    76    77    78    79    80  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bike Day 2013
mwg

User status: Offline
7th Jun 13 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Nic Barnes
It ain't bad for a novice bike!

I have a Fuel too. They're definitely a lot better than a novice bike!
Nic Barnes

7th Jun 13 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine is the 6. Was on offer at scotby cycles in Carlisle. Need to change the bars and stem but should last me another year. Fancy a trek remedy after that.
mwg

7th Jun 13 at 11:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've ridden a Remedy, one of my mates used to have one. It does make quite a difference when you're going downhill cos it's a bit bulkier.

I've got an EX8, 3 years old now, no plans to change though. Always liked Lapierres but they are serious money
Matt L

7th Jun 13 at 12:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ill weight mine tonight always wondered how heavy it is
ed

7th Jun 13 at 12:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Walby
quote:
Originally posted by ed
quote:
Originally posted by Liam
Ultegra, very nice! Did you go 2x10? If you don't mind me asking how much has it set you back all in?

Yup - 2x10 with a compact crankset. I hadn't added it all up until now and it was quite expensive, quite a bit north of £1.5k The retail bike is £1300 though and that's 105 equipped with pretty heavy wheels. My one tipped the scales at 8.9kg this evening

[Edited on 06-06-2013 by ed]

I might weigh my road bike tonight

Would be interested to know how mine faired. Getting stick from people for having a steel road bike, but then the people who are giving me stick can't explain to me why aluminium and carbon are better without saying something along the lines of "it's what the pros use".
Jamie Walby

7th Jun 13 at 12:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yours is pretty light considering the pros arent allowed to ride anything lighter than 6.8kg!

There are a couple of good articles about the whole steel v carbon argument. Ill see if I can find them but from what I remember, there was nothing about either material that made it a stand out better choice of frame material than the other.
Nic Barnes

7th Jun 13 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mwg
I've ridden a Remedy, one of my mates used to have one. It does make quite a difference when you're going downhill cos it's a bit bulkier.

I've got an EX8, 3 years old now, no plans to change though. Always liked Lapierres but they are serious money
couple of mates have remedys, one an 8 and the other a 9. Nice bikes to ride feel more purposeful although the lightness of the fuel seems to make climbing pretty easy. Its just the 120 travel thing, I reckon I will need 160 the way I'm trying to ride at the moment.
Liam

7th Jun 13 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go for 140mm as a compromise? 140mm will conquer all the riding you want in this country, and won't be as heavy as a 160mm bike. It'll climb better also.
Nic Barnes

7th Jun 13 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

would be better having 160 for some of the hills and mountains round here to ride on id say
deano87

7th Jun 13 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going to a colleagues 50th birthday party tonight.

Would rather be out on my bike says something for the weather.
Liam

7th Jun 13 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you'd be surprised! i have a 140mm bike and i'm not really any slower down than my friend who has a 160mm lappierre spicy, but im faster at climbing, but again its all personal, i'd have a 160mm bike myself if I was going to go to the alps as well as UK trail centres.
Nic Barnes

7th Jun 13 at 18:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm hopefully going to start doing proper mountain trails rather than trail centres I don't think my bike will be up to it. I've hit a few drops and jumps lately and had a bit of concern for the poor little thing.
ed

7th Jun 13 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Yours is pretty light considering the pros arent allowed to ride anything lighter than 6.8kg!

There are a couple of good articles about the whole steel v carbon argument. Ill see if I can find them but from what I remember, there was nothing about either material that made it a stand out better choice of frame material than the other.

I always say to them that it's not about one being better than the other, it's about what's best suited for the application. My bike isn't built to win races, but it's hopefully a hell of a lot more comfortable (an probably durable) than a full on carbon racer
Jamie Walby

7th Jun 13 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ill be looking to buying somethimg steel towards end of the year as a winter road bike and to use for Paris - Roubaix next year.

Cant find my scales to weigh bikes, think they are up in the loft can't be doing going up there this evening
Matt L

7th Jun 13 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mines around 12kg lighter than I thought but still heavy
22B

7th Jun 13 at 21:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
would be better having 160 for some of the hills and mountains round here to ride on id say

100mm of travel is plenty for anywhere in the UK in my opinion ( excluding proper downhill runs) Ive got 100mm front and rear fox suspension on my anthem x2 and I havent found anywhere in the UK Ive ridden that warrants more.

Ive had bikes with a lot more travel than the 100mm I have now but at the end of the day it comes down to the rider and your confidence in the bike, also getting your sag set up makes a big difference.
Rick Draper

7th Jun 13 at 23:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Ill be looking to buying somethimg steel towards end of the year as a winter road bike and to use for Paris - Roubaix next year.

Cant find my scales to weigh bikes, think they are up in the loft can't be doing going up there this evening

My SL-4 weighs in at 6.98kg ready to ride with cage and Garmin mount.

[Edited on 07-06-2013 by Rick Draper]
deano87

8th Jun 13 at 09:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

160mm is Megavalanche / bike park territory.

125mm to 140mm on 26" wheels is better for the UK.

Depends on your riding style and how gnarly the terrain is.

More Suck Up for the Fuck Up is our motto!
22B

8th Jun 13 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
160mm is Megavalanche / bike park territory.

125mm to 140mm on 26" wheels is better for the UK.

Depends on your riding style and how gnarly the terrain is.

More Suck Up for the Fuck Up is our motto!

Agree with that last quote, the more travel you have the more you can get away with things, I find with less travel it makes you pick your lines that little bit better and concentrate on being smooth.

Chucked in a 35k yesterday in the sun, was knackered by the end as I havent been out for 3 weeks, some of the climbs up elan valley are brutal and you dont have the choice of going slow as they are so steep so you have to keep the momentum up, unless you like pushing
deano87

8th Jun 13 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Trail centres are actually quite tame and the article in MBUK this month points towards that. There is nothing too mental, as people are liable.

Go all mountain riding in the Peak District on natural terrain and imho you need more than 100mm travel up front for sure. Certain bikes 100mm rear will work like the old Blur 4x, but even now the Blur TR is 125mm rear.
Rick Draper

8th Jun 13 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a bit of a "Oh what bike have I not got" moment earlier and ended up buying a S-Works Cavendish edition Venge frameset. Now I just need the stuff to build it up with.
Nic Barnes

8th Jun 13 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Trail centres are actually quite tame and the article in MBUK this month points towards that. There is nothing too mental, as people are liable.

Go all mountain riding in the Peak District on natural terrain and imho you need more than 100mm travel up front for sure. Certain bikes 100mm rear will work like the old Blur 4x, but even now the Blur TR is 125mm rear.
i live in Cumbria, natural trails are in any direction from my house. Mostly only done trail centres so far, remembering I've only been biking since start of the year. Definitely looking at a 160 travel for next bike and go discover some proper trails round here in a year or so. Once confidence is better. That's the good thing about living up here, proper terrain, proper hills. Its not flat like southern trails.
Kyle T
Premium Member

8th Jun 13 at 20:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Me and the missus were gonna start running again on evenings/weekends, as we're both feeling a bit unfit nowadays. Decided running is boring, and we're going to look into a pair of bikes.

Hoping to do a combination of road and country tracks, so not road bikes.

Any recommendations? What sort of budget should we aim for?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Rick Draper

8th Jun 13 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

i live in Cumbria, natural trails are in any direction from my house. Mostly only done trail centres so far, remembering I've only been biking since start of the year. Definitely looking at a 160 travel for next bike and go discover some proper trails round here in a year or so. Once confidence is better. That's the good thing about living up here, proper terrain, proper hills. Its not flat like southern trails.

A proper 140mm or 150mm bike will serve you well. Ridden a 160mm Nomad of my mates and it was brutal. Great down the descents, was it better than my Ibis? Possibly ever so slightly, certainly not by enough of a margin for me to consider chopping the ibis in for one considering how average it climbed.
Matt L

9th Jun 13 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

feeling good after todays short ride only did 12miles, took 27seconds off one of my climbs so moved to 4th in the leader board and did a few other pbs in there too.

<<  74    75    76    77    78    79    80  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Bike Day 2013 24 database queries in 0.0350168 seconds