corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Euro 08 Official Thread Sponsored by The Spurs Branch of the Rangers Supporters Club

New Poll
  <<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Euro 08 Official Thread Sponsored by The Spurs Branch of the Rangers Supporters Club
Robbo

User status: Offline
9th Jun 08 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And only beat AUSTRALIA thanks to a dodgy peno decision :/
Hammer

9th Jun 08 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Am i the only 1 that thought they played well tonight then and only really lacked a partner for Toni for over an hour
Cosmo

9th Jun 08 at 21:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
Am i the only 1 that thought they played well tonight then and only really lacked a partner for Toni for over an hour

Other than Clive, probably.

They didnt play badly, but were a long way behing Holland imo.
Hammer

9th Jun 08 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm just trying to get into Mario's pants you have foiled me at the first hurdle
gianluigi

10th Jun 08 at 08:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we looked like we had so much more shape with zamberrota on the right and grosso on the left. why the fuck did he play panucci :@
Robbo

10th Jun 08 at 09:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBF as I said before, the dodgy first goal could ahve made all the difference as for long periods at 1 nil, I thought Italy had Holland on the ropes (although without ever really threatenting to score?)
gianluigi

10th Jun 08 at 09:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

we got our selves in good positions to score a few times, the mix of abismal finishing and outstanding goal keeping ensured it wasnt going to be our day.

RVN's goal - absurd how that could stand...it wasnt a difficult decision.

and i dont care what the Austrian referee governing body say - the lino was not thinking of section 11.4.1 of the offside rule...he was just asleep and an imbecile.
RyanSxi

10th Jun 08 at 09:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whats section 11.4.1? surely if the player is off the field of play then he doesn't count...
Cosmo

10th Jun 08 at 09:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If he went off during part of play then he is still active and doesnt need to go round the side of the pitch and get the refs permission to come back on, it wasnt like he went off due to an injury.
RyanSxi

10th Jun 08 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh I see, technically he was injured though as he was laid on the floor holding his leg/ankle
Cosmo

10th Jun 08 at 09:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by RyanSxi
Oh I see, technically he was injured though as he was laid on the floor holding his leg/ankle

He didnt go off due to the injury though, he went off trying to get the ball (and actually because of his own goalie!)

Was he still lying there when RBN scored?
Robbo

10th Jun 08 at 09:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dunno the ins and outs but no matter what, its utter bollocks... van Nistelhorse is a metre offside, end of IMO... thats how it should be!
RyanSxi

10th Jun 08 at 09:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
quote:

He didnt go off due to the injury though, he went off trying to get the ball (and actually because of his own goalie!)

Was he still lying there when RBN scored?

IIRC yeh he was, dont think he stood there and waited think he was laid waiting for treatment
Robbo

10th Jun 08 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

OK Keith Hackett has explained this a bit better and I kind of understand this now... the rule is that if a players goes off the field of play for a non-legitimate reaosn (ie sliding tackle takes him off the opitch) the dimensions of the pitch include where the player is... they are arguing that Panucci slid off the field and stayed off in order to make RVN offside... hence the ryule being there to stop someone simply stepping off the field and making a load of players potentially offside :/
RyanSxi

10th Jun 08 at 10:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always thought if say u were on the line you could step into the net and get the players offside.

No wonder you never see this tactic used
Cosmo

10th Jun 08 at 10:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats my view of things.

I actually never realised he was off the pitch until now so thought it was well off, but now I know its a good goal. As Hackett says, players would just stand on the line all game and step off the pitch when the forward ball is played to put any players off side.
RyanSxi

10th Jun 08 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But he is laid out on the floor as he's injured
Robbo

10th Jun 08 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Thats my view of things.

I actually never realised he was off the pitch until now so thought it was well off, but now I know its a good goal. As Hackett says, players would just stand on the line all game and step off the pitch when the forward ball is played to put any players off side.
Yeah I would tend to agree there Ocsmo, I ahd no idea that anyone was off the pitch, and as far as I can read Panucci wasnt off the pitch injured, Buffon forced him off in which case he splayign RVN onside and its there own fault (that said seems a ridiculous rule bu then if it didnt exist people would just do what Ryan said)
Robbo

10th Jun 08 at 10:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
But he is laid out on the floor as he's injured
But is he though? (He may well have been but everythign on BBC Sport suggests otherwise)
gianluigi

10th Jun 08 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

exactly. its not as if he was on the field as the ball came to sniejder then stepped off before he shot making RVN offside.

panucci wasnt even looking at the play, so to entertain the thought of him staying there intentionally is utter bollocks.
Robbo

10th Jun 08 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BBC Sport 606
Kapl said the goal was "100% correct, without any doubt", quoting article 11.4.1. of the refereeing code that states "an opposing player cannot be offside when one of the last two defenders has left the field of play" - as in the case of Panucci.

Hackett added: "I have listened to the commentators criticising the first Holland goal stating that Van Nistelrooy was offside.
Christian Panucci went off through contact with his own goalkeeper Buffon.

"He is still considered part of the game.

"The fact is the assistant was correct. The defender who slid off the field is still regarded as active."

Kapl added that the rule was specifically designed to prevent a team causing a deliberate offside - but does that tell the whole story?

Panucci was in no way attempting to gain an advantage or deliberately trying to play the Holland attackers onside.

He had actually been knocked behind the goal by a collision with his own goalkeeper Buffon, so where does the law stand on that?

[Edited on 10-06-2008 by Robbo]
Robbo

10th Jun 08 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IMO, hes not trying to gain advantage BUT his own player forced him off so why should Holland pay for that?

Seems more and more liek it coudl ahve gone either way, in which cas eits just football rather than an appalling decision!
Hammer

10th Jun 08 at 10:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Strange one, so that then means the linesman 50 yards away has to keep an eye on the line to see of anyone strays off and to use his own judgement as to whether the player behind the line, in this instance, is injured or has been knocked there by his own player? Linesman can be shit at times but that is asking a lot of them imo.
Cosmo

10th Jun 08 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your own player forced him off, Id understand the argument if it was a Holland player, but it wasnt.

Anyway, they also scored 2 other goals which was enough to win, and the first goal was hardly against the run of play.
gianluigi

10th Jun 08 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id like to see your reaction if that happend against england

<<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Euro 08 Official Thread Sponsored by The Spurs Branch of the Rangers Supporters Club 23 database queries in 0.0145130 seconds