corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Lambo Aventendor Detail

New Poll
  <<  5    6    7    8    9    10  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Lambo Aventendor Detail
CORSA NUT

User status: Offline
1st Feb 13 at 18:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When the guy on detailing world made the cheap version he put them side by side on various panels and cars etc an there was literally no difference!

For the record my DA polisher was £95 including Menz polishes and pads. BUT if it was doing it for a living I'd be getting an expensive one, just like my Makita drill/driver set that's been hammered for 3 years and hasn't missed a beat and was £360.
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
1st Feb 13 at 18:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CORSA NUT
When the guy on detailing world made the cheap version he put them side by side on various panels and cars etc an there was literally no difference!

Was he banned

£47.50 for the bulb, does look suspiciously like a 12v 35W MR16 which are 61p in Farnell.

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/displayProduct.jsp?sku=1677815&CMP=e-2072-00001000&gross_price=true&mckv=MGdGvzqH|pcrid|productlistings

[Edited on 01-02-2013 by Ian]
Steve
Premium Member

1st Feb 13 at 18:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And this my friends, is why the modern detailing world is bullshit
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Feb 13 at 18:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The set of various brushes are the same ones you'll get on any number of trade stands at a kit car show, Ste and I regularly laugh when we see them for 50p.

Yours for a bargain £12 on PB.
CORSA NUT

1st Feb 13 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
quote:

Was he banned

£47.50 for the bulb, does look suspiciously like a 12v 35W MR16 which are 61p in Farnell.

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/displayProduct.jsp?sku=1677815&CMP=e-2072-00001000&gross_price=true&mckv=MGdGvzqH|pcrid|productlistings

This is the lamp you need to buy....

http://www.svenlight.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=44

[Edited on 01-02-2013 by CORSA NUT]

Ian
Site Administrator

1st Feb 13 at 18:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need to be logged in from that link.
CORSA NUT

1st Feb 13 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
The set of various brushes are the same ones you'll get on any number of trade stands at a kit car show, Ste and I regularly laugh when we see them for 50p.

Yours for a bargain £12 on PB.

Gonna have to say I paid £20 for my EZ wheel brush and it's outstanding! Been used a hell of a lot and still in perfect condition. On the other hand my other brushes were £2 each from Asda, tire brush and 'Face Brush'
CORSA NUT

1st Feb 13 at 18:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Need to be logged in from that link.

Really?!? Don't remember registering with them
CORSA NUT

1st Feb 13 at 18:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is the description.....

SOLUX - 35W 4700K 36deg
[35003] £13.23

Click to enlarge
Product Details
Wattage: 35W
Colour Temperature: 4700K
Beam Angle: 36deg
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Feb 13 at 18:54   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
New Customer Returning Customer
I am a new customer.

By creating an account at Svenlight Online Lighting Store - Solux for UK & Ireland you will be able to shop faster, be up to date on an orders status, and keep track of the orders you have previously made.

Think its because there is a session id in the link, I'll edit it.

I did wonder whether there was any special colour temp.

Still beats £50 though even with the proper spec.
Ian
Site Administrator

1st Feb 13 at 18:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Svenlight link fixed.

Also to say, those natural light lamps are designed for people to use in at work when they're sitting at a desk or somewhere for a prolonged period of time.

I'd question the necessity to care about colour temperature to see scratches.

In fact would a fluorescent not be better at that? They're higher temp again.

Ian
Site Administrator

1st Feb 13 at 19:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Gonna have to say I paid £20 for my EZ wheel brush and it's outstanding!

Yeah the brushes are probably not a good example because poor ones do fall apart.

How about £7.50 for a bucket?

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/pb-clear-wash-bucket-cat3.html
John

1st Feb 13 at 19:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's clear though, can see the dirt you've washed off then spend time taking pictures of it.
CORSA NUT

1st Feb 13 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Svenlight link fixed.

Also to say, those natural light lamps are designed for people to use in at work when they're sitting at a desk or somewhere for a prolonged period of time.

I'd question the necessity to care about colour temperature to see scratches.

In fact would a fluorescent not be better at that? They're higher temp again.

Well, the theory is to try and replicate the type of light the sun gives off. Lamps in projectors are similar.

Most detailers use simple halogen stand lights like the ones used on building sites. Using these a the only source of light seems to work well from what I've seen.
CORSA NUT

1st Feb 13 at 19:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£7.50? That's nothing!

And this is a cheap one...

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/uf/2-bucket-set-wash-and-rinse.aspx
CORSA NUT

1st Feb 13 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There's a lot I be said about car 'cleaning'

The idea behind having a proper method of washing and protecting a car is sound. There's no arguing against it because its mostly common sense. In reality your protecting your investment which in most cases is the second biggest purchase you will make. Most of my cleaning products cost me a lot initially but they will last years and they work so that's where I'm at.

Detailing a car is where the things confusing to some people. To me detailing is cleaning an engine bay properly and protesting it with something like Aerospace 303 which in itself is relatively cheap and goes a long way. Taking off your rims and properly cleaning and protecting the arches. At the same time cleaning and sealing the rims.

Using a cotton bud (special ones obviously) on your vents and having special wax applicators that go on your fingertips is pure bullshit.

Paying a professional £300-£500 to fully machine polish and protect your bodywork and wheels is perfectly acceptable IMO if you can afford it, as future cleaning is made SO much easier.

Paying 5K for a 'detail' especially in this country is just laughable and makes a mockery of the difference between a Valetor and a Professional detailer.
Rich H

1st Feb 13 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not going to even bother replying to most the points raised in this thread now tbh

But re sun gun and colour temperatures...

I have a 'DIY' sun gun - it works ok, but can actually hide some defects. I've never used a proper one to know if this is the same story with one of those. I would hope with the price tag it's not.

Re. colour temperatures - different lighting and colour temps hide / highlight different defects tbh. I have fluroescent, daylight fluroescent, 3 types of LED, halogen and metal halide that I use to check paintwork with.
CORSA NUT

1st Feb 13 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How's the M3 running Rich?
Graeme
Premium Member

1st Feb 13 at 23:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The sun gun is the same as many lights with that bulb. Only reason 3m have you by the balls with the bulb is they make it so you can only fit there bulb into there gun.

It was made for paintwork purpose to match colours as replicates sunlight accurately.

There is 2 settings on it for brighter light. It still is a £300 ish light though.

I also have wondered do you get the detail for less of you don't have pics taking?

Stop pissing about and get on with the job. If you had a kitchen fitted would you want the fitter to take pics every 5 mins?

Also the paint thickness readings, It amazes me how anal people go with it taking so many reading over the car and the "build up a 3D picture of the paint!"

Bullshit. The polish they use take next to fuck all material off the panel.

[Edited on 01-02-2013 by Graeme]
baza31

2nd Feb 13 at 08:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd be very pissed off if my 200k+ car arrived to me like that . What Moron transported it? I would be claiming the cost of said detail off Lamborghini plus interest . Do they not have quality control at end of production?

[Edited on 02-02-2013 by baza31]
neil h

2nd Feb 13 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Graeme
Also the paint thickness readings, It amazes me how anal people go with it taking so many reading over the car and the "build up a 3D picture of the paint!"

Bullshit. The polish they use take next to fuck all material off the panel.

[Edited on 01-02-2013 by Graeme]

But what if your doing something like an F40, which has fuck all material on the panel in the first place...

[Edited on 02-02-2013 by neil h]
3CorsaMeal

2nd Feb 13 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit of wd40 on a t shirt. Works great on F40's.
Kyle T
Premium Member

2nd Feb 13 at 15:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

To be fair, the paint depth readings I can understand.

When I had my car "detailed/corrected" the detailer learned a lot about the history of my car, picked up on a couple of smart repairs and also picked up on the fact the bonnet had been resprayed.

He showed me comparisons of using the same product on both the painted bonnet and an "original" panel and the difference in reflection/gloss was massive without using a fancy gloss detector or whatever.

Taking the readings allowed him to use a much more aggressive product on the bonnet which significantly ate into the massively thick clearcoat which had been sprayed onto it.

Imagine burning through the clearcoat on a £100k + car because you didn't realise how thin it was before you started.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Steve
Premium Member

2nd Feb 13 at 15:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most of that can be judged by anyone with actual experience, that can pick up repairs and resprays, judge paint depth etc and make an informed judgement without needing fancy paint depth readers, just by looking round.

Guy at local bodyshop has walked around previous cars of mine and pointed out repairs with the naked eye.

Thats actual knowledge, and using that knowledge means he could correct the paint accordingly in a couple of hours work, and didnt cost 100's or 1000's of pounds.

[Edited on 02-02-2013 by Steve]
Nath

2nd Feb 13 at 15:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kyle T
To be fair, the paint depth readings I can understand.

When I had my car "detailed/corrected" the detailer learned a lot about the history of my car, picked up on a couple of smart repairs and also picked up on the fact the bonnet had been resprayed.

He showed me comparisons of using the same product on both the painted bonnet and an "original" panel and the difference in reflection/gloss was massive without using a fancy gloss detector or whatever.

Taking the readings allowed him to use a much more aggressive product on the bonnet which significantly ate into the massively thick clearcoat which had been sprayed onto it.

Imagine burning through the clearcoat on a £100k + car because you didn't realise how thin it was before you started.

No mate. Should use Steve's people. Save yourself a fortune.

<<  5    6    7    8    9    10  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Lambo Aventendor Detail 23 database queries in 0.0171061 seconds