corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Bike Day 2013

New Poll
  <<  82    83    84    85    86    87    88  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Bike Day 2013
ed

User status: Offline
18th Jul 13 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone else finding it hard work in this heat/humidity? I feel like I've got less strength at the moment and I'm struggling on the hills!
Liam

18th Jul 13 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ed
Anyone else finding it hard work in this heat/humidity? I feel like I've got less strength at the moment and I'm struggling on the hills!

Yes! Suffered on Tuesday night, it was about 25 degrees though!
corsadonk
Premium Member

19th Jul 13 at 05:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
hay guys

I really want to recycle an old bike of mine, its a Grisley - see below

http://i.imgur.com/tBl1KYd.jpg - BIG photo alert.

I took it to a friendly bike shop and he confirmed that most components on it are fucked (I've had the bike over 10 years, has been on long time loan to friends so its seen some abuse ). Reason I'm not getting the bike shop to do it is because they are hideously expensive on bits compared to online. Now I want to get this bike back on the road/paths but I don't want to go bankrupt. The frame is slightly bigger then my muddyfox, its a 8speed and the front forks are wanked.

So bearing in mind I have little to no idea what I'm doing here, I'd appreciate some guidance if possible?

The bike is a 8 speed, I'd like to keep it that way to save me changing bits like the shifters? I've picked out the following bits online:

Shimano M410 Alivio Chainset
Black, 42/32/22 tooth, 170mm
Shimano Alivio M410 Rear Derailleur - long cage
Shimano Alivio M412 Front Derailleur - top swing
Shimano OE M324 SPD Pedals
Shimano HG51 Cassette 8-Speed - 11/30 or 11/32 tooth? what difference does that make on the ride?

For tyres I was looking at Schwalbe Land Cruiser 26 x 1.75 MTB - the same ones I run on my other bike for commuting, I can't complain about them so far!

Now the bits above have been picked on price/8speed/same model numbers as the other bits, so any feedback on my unguided choices would help.

Oh and the front forks are completely goosed, I'd like to go for some solid forks on the front now as I've had my suspension locked on my other bike and dont really see the need to have any suspension on roads/paths that I travel on. What do I need to look for? whats a good price on a set? what size do I need?

Alot of questions and I appreciate everyones help.

[Edited on 18-07-2013 by willay]

[Edited on 18-07-2013 by willay]

I tend to buy the bits I need, and take them to the local bike shop and get them to fit them. Setting up the gears are hard work. I bought a cheap set of Rock shox for my bike, so front suspension doesn't need to be too much. Cool looking bike.

corsadonk
Premium Member

19th Jul 13 at 05:55   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

With these bike computers, it seems a waste to me. I've got a app on my phone to trace my route. Then I use a O S map, so I don't get too lost.

Also long grass, nettles, and thistles. At least the paths aren't muddy at the moment.
Nic Barnes

19th Jul 13 at 06:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Liam
quote:
Originally posted by ed

Yes! Suffered on Tuesday night, it was about 25 degrees though!
not when riding, doesn't seem to affect me much but afterwards I'm exhausted. Only did a quick loop off road last night and yet today I'm wrecked. Was 27 degrees yesterday evening though.
Whittie

19th Jul 13 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsadonk
With these bike computers, it seems a waste to me. I've got a app on my phone to trace my route. Then I use a O S map, so I don't get too lost.

Also long grass, nettles, and thistles. At least the paths aren't muddy at the moment.

Then the phone dies
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

19th Jul 13 at 10:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I tend to buy the bits I need, and take them to the local bike shop and get them to fit them. Setting up the gears are hard work. I bought a cheap set of Rock shox for my bike, so front suspension doesn't need to be too much. Cool looking bike.

I'm down with that, also define cheap set?
Jamie Walby

19th Jul 13 at 15:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
quote:

Then the phone dies

Yeah was going to say when you do proper mans rides your phones dies and misses half the ride out. (iPhone)

My mate has some HTC that he uses which he raved about the battery on and it lasted 80 miles on a ride last week and died missing about 10 miles off the end and he doesnt hang about either
corsadonk
Premium Member

19th Jul 13 at 17:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay
quote:

I'm down with that, also define cheap set?

£110 delivered, ain't bad. They seem a lot better than the RST's that came with mine.
corsadonk
Premium Member

19th Jul 13 at 17:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Whittie
quote:

Then the phone dies

I only do about 20 miles on a long one for me. So it isn't too much of a problem.

I did find a memory map in a puddle one day, but handed it into the local cop shop, and it got claimed.
Nic Barnes

19th Jul 13 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

got strava finally, so i guess its time to become competitive. first ride out in the heat and im in the top 50 out of 1500 at a few of the climbs i done. 233 out of 1500 on the descent as well aint bad at all for my little xc bike.
Cole

19th Jul 13 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

About time Barnes
Nic Barnes

20th Jul 13 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Done whinlatter south climbs tonight got an 8th and a 10th overall on strava. Amusing.
Nic Barnes

21st Jul 13 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been to hamsterley again and did just the black section then the bit called transmission a few times. Way better than doing the stupid red fire road for 9 miles. Decent day out. My mate was testing his new Saracen out and was flying on it, face first into a bush. Fun!
Nic Barnes

21st Jul 13 at 22:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rLtNy7_9i4&feature=c4-overview&list=UU3JDKHXF95TEOWYSYN8bmfw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc1oU-M7m5M&feature=c4-overview&list=UU3JDKHXF95TEOWYSYN8bmfw

video of friday nights whinlatter run.

[Edited on 22-07-2013 by Nic Barnes]
Simon

22nd Jul 13 at 06:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a great weekend, Thursday evening I went down Swinley Forest to check out the routes since they all became official, still great fun and now you don't need someone who knows where they are going to find the good bits.

Friday I headed up to my mates in Shrewsbury, then headed over to Langedla which was good fun, very smooth trail and it was dead quiet. Friday evening we were at a wedding in Bolton, with weary heads

Saturday morning we drove further north to Gisburn forest, which like Nick said is a great trail some really good sections, quite rocky so pretty technical, this was my favourite so far.

Sunday we were back at mates in Shrewsbury and headed down to Eastridge woods. This place is awesome, it perfectly matched my preferred riding, lots of long, twisty, technical downhills. Awesome weekend

[Edited on 22-07-2013 by Simon]
willay
Premium Member

22nd Jul 13 at 08:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Anyone help with my bike parts dilemma ?
Simon

22nd Jul 13 at 09:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Which part is the dilema? Looks ok I'd say for a budget fix.

The 11/30 or 32 is the amount of teeth on the rear cassette, 11 being the number on the smallest cog, 30 or 32 the number on the largest. 32 will give you an easier gear for hills that a 32. For example, I'm shortly changing my bike to 1 x 10. So I will have one chainring on the front and 10 cogs on the back. My largest cog will have 36 teeth to give an even easier gear.

For forks, a second hand set of forks will probably be good enough, just measure the current fork steerer width, length (if second hand people sometimes cut down the steerer so make sure that and new ones are long enough) and you will want straight I imagine - new forks have a tapered steerer.

willay
Premium Member

22nd Jul 13 at 09:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All of it really, just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something really stupid there

How difficult would fitting these parts be for a noob? Is there any specific bike tools that I absolutely need or will the usual alankeys and spanners be alright?
Simon

22nd Jul 13 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most things allen keys, just pay attention to how things are when you pull the old bits off.

Diameter of Seat tube would be good to check to make sure front mech is the same.

I'd say only bits that may be troublesome are the headset which may fall apart when you remove forks and you will need a crank remover for the cranks and chainrings.
willay
Premium Member

22nd Jul 13 at 10:21   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks man appreciate the help!
Tom G

22nd Jul 13 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going cleated this weekend and picking some bits up from Evanscycles.

Just oging for some baragin Shimano bits, anyone notice much of a difference or is it mainly just on hills?
Jamie Walby

22nd Jul 13 at 11:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

108 miles and approx 12000ft of climbing yesterday. Hardest day in the saddle ever but got it done. Heat didn't help.
Doug

22nd Jul 13 at 12:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Simon,

What did you think of Llandegla? Which route did you do?
Matt L

22nd Jul 13 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Walby
108 miles and approx 12000ft of climbing yesterday. Hardest day in the saddle ever but got it done. Heat didn't help.

sounds bloody hard, what ride was it?

<<  82    83    84    85    86    87    88  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Bike Day 2013 23 database queries in 0.0372880 seconds