corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » air box holes!! how many!??!!

New Poll
  <<  6    7    8    9    10    11    12  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author air box holes!! how many!??!!
mad_mike252

User status: Offline
12th Dec 08 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member

The simplest modification requiring next to no skill and with minimal cost is to replace the air filter element with a performance air filter. K&N (from the US) are by far the biggest name in the performance air filter market both worldwide and in the UK, whilst Pipercross (from the UK) are the second largest to them in the UK market. The difference between the two is that the K&N filter element is a cotton gauze material whilst the Pipercross filter element is foam. Both are sprayed with oil to attract and trap dust and the benefit of both is that air flows more easily through them than through a standard paper OE filter, thus releasing up to 2-3bhp.
mad_mike252

12th Dec 08 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member

, the key to good power gains from an induction kit is how much cold air you can get to it. The colder the air then the denser it is and the more dense it is then the more mass of air you are getting into the engine. The ECU then matches the fuel input with this increased mass of air and more power is produced.
mad_mike252

12th Dec 08 at 18:27   View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:
Originally posted by mad_mike252
, the key to good power gains from an induction kit is how much cold air you can get to it. The colder the air then the denser it is and the more dense it is then the more mass of air you are getting into the engine. The ECU then matches the fuel input with this increased mass of air and more power is produced
DAZ1985

12th Dec 08 at 18:29   View User's Profile U2U Member

thiers now two 20valvers

or thier the same person?
chris_gilly

12th Dec 08 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member

hmmm gives me some thoughts!??!! mike is 20valver your belonging??

[Edited on 12-12-2008 by chris_gilly]
sand-eel

12th Dec 08 at 21:47   View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:
Originally posted by 20valver
You have zero technical knowlege, how is this then if i had zero technical knowledge i would have burned holes though piston crowns and bent con rods long time ago

obviously you don't as you think your airbox is pressurized, ram air does nothing unless you have a huge engine and are traveling at 200mph
20valver
Banned

13th Dec 08 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:
Originally posted by sand-eel
quote:
You have zero technical knowlege, how is this then if i had zero technical knowledge i would have burned holes though piston crowns and bent con rods long time ago

obviously you don't as you think your airbox is pressurized, ram air does nothing unless you have a huge engine and are traveling at 200mph

you do not need a huge engine and you do not need to be doing 200 mph for ram air to work, ram air works on 1000cc engine as well ie done this set up to my metro work really well

[Edited on 13-12-2008 by 20valver]
Daveskater
Premium Member

13th Dec 08 at 13:56   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member

Imo page 6 onwards should be deleted because of this idiot.

20valver: question why are you on a corsa forum

how is it that you don't go away
how is it that you don't have a clue about anything
how is it that you managed to learn to drive, surely your brain is actually taken from a 5 year old
how is it that you get banned on multiple car forums but don't get the message?

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
sand-eel

13th Dec 08 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:
quote:
quote:

you do not need a huge engine and you do not need to be doing 200 mph for ram air to work, ram air works on 1000cc engine as well ie done this set up to my metro work really well

did you read the bit when i said i did the calculations, a 2 litre car going at 160mph makes an extra 0.2 psi which is fuck all, so your astra won't make a difference and your metro won't either.
Even the F1 cars airboxs aren't made for ram air, they are designed for equal air to all cylinders.
20valver
Banned

13th Dec 08 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member

f1 car airboxs are designed for a positive pressure feed inlet
sand-eel

13th Dec 08 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member

"The factory - Mclaren" must have been lying then
so what have you got to say about my calculations then? am i talking shite too?
20valver
Banned

13th Dec 08 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member

when a f1 car is going round the air pressure entering the airbox is positive pressure feed and the air goes more into the back cylinders than the front cylinders so they design baffles in side so the engine cylinders get the same amount of air for each cylinder
sand-eel

13th Dec 08 at 16:17   View User's Profile U2U Member

yes thats what i said
but they aren't designed for ram air because it's pointless as i've been saying.
20valver
Banned

13th Dec 08 at 18:13   View User's Profile U2U Member

Ram air device can also provide forced induction. When the car is travelling in speed, air will be forced into the engine manifold through the ram air inlet which usually locates on the top of bonnet. That create a slightly higher pressure than normal aspiration.

In fact, you can see ram air devices whenever you watch motor racing. The air box in every formula 1 race cars and the roof air inlet of GT race cars are all ram air devices. A Formula 1 engineer said a typical air box can gain 20 horse power when the car is running at 200 kph. put your hand out of the window at 60+mph and try and hold it flat pipe that pressure into the engine for peanuts and it's got to help
if ram air didn't work then none of the performance cars would do it and the bonnet/nacr scoop would not exist.

20valver
Banned

13th Dec 08 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member

An induction system that uses "Ram air" (fast and furious
name) or dynamic head is well worth having. It is no coincidence that all
successfully naturally aspirated race cars and bikes have their induction
entry in a clean air location that will feel the full effect of the forward
velocity.

Throttle bodies like Jenveys with a throttle for each inlet port are popular because they are a straight swap for Webber or Dellorto carbs but you can get better volumetric efficiency at usable engine speeds with a single throttle and tuned length manifold runners

This is well worth having and something the F1 boys have been using for years (it got banned at one point, the FIA were trying to slow them down and made them cut holes in the back of the airboxs so they made them go faster round corners, oooohh well

sand-eel

13th Dec 08 at 18:48   View User's Profile U2U Member

The airboxes that are usually high up is because they try to get the best most linear airflow as possible, not because they will get more pressure. If they want more pressure the best place is right at the front and as near to the place where the bumper/wing etc sticks out in front the most, this is where you get a high pressure stagnation point.
As i said it only gives a slight increase in power on big revvy engines at high speeds NOT on small engined road cars.
20valver
Banned

13th Dec 08 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member

Ram air: In 1994 an attempt to limit the ram air pressure in Formula 1 led to some incredibly elaborate, airbox arrangements in attempts to regain a little power. In the end everyone involved realised the fruitlessness of the exercise, and full ram pressure was re-instated, along with the advertising space on the sides of the airbox.
20valver
Banned

13th Dec 08 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:
The airboxes that are usually high up is because they try to get the best most linear airflow as possible, not because they will get more pressure. If they want more pressure the best place is right at the front and as near to the place where the bumper/wing etc sticks out in front the most, this is where you get a high pressure stagnation point.
As i said it only gives a slight increase in power on big revvy engines at high speeds NOT on small engined road cars.

no the entrance inlet hole is high up ie above the drivers helmet this is to get positive inlet pressure
20valver
Banned

13th Dec 08 at 18:59   View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:

If they want more pressure the best place is right at the front and as near to the place where the bumper/wing etc sticks out in front the most, this is where you get a high pressure stagnation point. the most air pressure is behind the front grill
sand-eel

13th Dec 08 at 19:05   View User's Profile U2U Member

yes the front grill is at the front and low down it is an ideal place but the highest pressure is always the lowest and furthest place out in front.
20valver
Banned

13th Dec 08 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member

the sad part about a great product like this is that it is near impossible to get an accurate dyno session... recreating headwinds of 100+mph is near impossible on a dyno,

As a rule of thumb, for every 4C that air temp goes up, 1% of power is lost. It's easy to have the airbox temp go up by 4C, sometimes a lot more. A ram-air box is always cooler.
More importantly, a non-pressurised airbox is typically under vacuum, and under load at high revs that is several psi worth of vacuum.
People think that it's atmospheric pressure in there, but it isn't. Just calculate how many liters of air are demanded to flow when the throttle is wide open, and you'll realise that the airbox is empty within milliseconds. It takes time to replenish these reserves, typically almost a second (with the throttle closed). If the throttle is kept wide open, the 'replenishment' rate is far lower than the engine's air consumption, so the airbox remains in deep vacuum all through the acceleration process. The higher the engine speed, the deeper the vacuum. That's where a RAMair intake comes in. It doesn't pressurise more than a few tenths of a psi during cruise conditions, but when the throttle is whacked open, the vacuum appears a bit later - maybe a second later. That feels like better throttle response, because that's what it is. Even then the vacuum is always lower, because now the replenishment rate is much closer to the engine's consumption rate.

This Ram Air System does exactly what its name implies. As the velocity of the vehicle increases, this creates wind pressure that is forced down the scoop(s) and into the intake manifold through the air cleaner. At speed, this acts somewhat like a turbo charger, without having all of the additional parts and plumbing. The drawback is that you will not benefit from its use until you are above 35 miles per hour. Other than that it is a regular Cold Air Intake System.

The engine air intake is positioned behind and above the driver's head to capture high-pressure, relatively undisturbed air. Inside the air intake is an expansion chamber (diffuser) that slows the air down and thus increases its pressure ready for its passage into the engine inlet manifold. The air intake is positioned away from sources of heat, such as the track and radiators, to minimize the air temperature. The intake faces the direction of travel to take advantage of

20valver
Banned

13th Dec 08 at 19:30   View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:

this why they do not have ram airbox at the front of a f1 car
The front wing accounts for approximately 33% of the total car downforce. The front wing end plates reduce drag and also direct air over the front wheels in an attempt to reduce drag. The front wing is shaped to direct air to the underside of the car and ultimately feed the undertray (described later). Shaping is also employed to allow air to cool the brakes and radiators. The front wing is a compromise between producing downforce and directing air to other areas of the car.

sand-eel

13th Dec 08 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member

as i said it only makes a small difference on performance cars with big engines travelling fast, people in motorsport want to get every last bhp they can by having 24h design teams always improving constantly using very expensive computer programs. what you are talking about is a 1.4 8v vauxhall astra which can hardly even do 100mph.
you think you have an extra 90bhp from the mods you have done without any testing, any computer programs at all.
sand-eel

13th Dec 08 at 19:39   View User's Profile U2U Member

quote:
quote:

this why they do not have ram airbox at the front of a f1 car
The front wing accounts for approximately 33% of the total car downforce. The front wing end plates reduce drag and also direct air over the front wheels in an attempt to reduce drag. The front wing is shaped to direct air to the underside of the car and ultimately feed the undertray (described later). Shaping is also employed to allow air to cool the brakes and radiators. The front wing is a compromise between producing downforce and directing air to other areas of the car.

that doesn't explain way the airbox isn't at the front, that describes how a wing works .
I'm going to hazard a guess, the airbox is near the engine because it is nearer the engine, which means you don't have to have a pipe going from the front to the back. People have tried this though, I wonder why they didn't use it though
20valver
Banned

13th Dec 08 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member

http://www.fastcar.co.uk/04570735436556982269/pipercross-launches-f1-spec-filters.html

<<  6    7    8    9    10    11    12  >>

New Poll