corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official F1 Season 2014 Thread

New Poll
  <<  91    92    93    94    95    96    97  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Official F1 Season 2014 Thread
Jambo

User status: Offline
5th Oct 14 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They didn't show the crash. Showed everything else.
Dave

5th Oct 14 at 19:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by p
Is it right Sky Sports F1 shut off all coverage for today?

BBC didn't show the crash, though when on replay of the race.

Nobody showed footage of the crash but I believe SSF1 canned their schedule for the rest of the day, no notebook, replays etc.
Rob_Quads

5th Oct 14 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The biggest sign of the severity for me was when the Sky lot were doing their post race stuff and the truck with the car on was obviously driving past and you could see in their faces just how bad a smash it was
Stu_22

6th Oct 14 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just a note on the use of JCB's on track the FIA said it was covered by double waved yellows and as Martin Brundle always reminds us that means slow down an be prepared to stop.
I know it was wet and no disrespect to Biacci was he going slow enough to stop.
So I don't think there is a safety issue with using the JCB's or whatever it was
Steve
Premium Member

6th Oct 14 at 09:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Indeed, would be interesting to hear peoples opinions if he hadn't hit the digger but instead hit a steward
Jambo

6th Oct 14 at 09:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If he could see the double yellows that is. Visibility was poor!
JonnyJ

6th Oct 14 at 10:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just hope theres no kneejerk safety reaction after this, such as sticking a SC out every single time theres heavy plant on the side of the track moving a car.

Yesterday was just one of those extremely unfortunate accidents, the odds of it happening again are astronomical. One suggestion i saw was to have a "maximum speed" limit through double yellows, but even that might not have saved JB if he aquaplaned.

Motorsport is dangerous, it says so on the tickets. The reason we all love it, and the drivers love it is because of the element of danger. The tracks are already becoming more and more sanitised, its important the FIA dont over react to this incident otherwise people will turn off and i guarantee people/drivers will start complaining if we have 3 safety cars a race, every track lined with miles of run off and a SC deployed every time it drizzles.

I dont know if theres a way they could make the tractors safer to hit, in the extremely unlikely event it happens again, that would be a better solution
JonnyJ

6th Oct 14 at 10:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jambo
If he could see the double yellows that is. Visibility was poor!

It will have been displayed on his dash, and most likely warned by his team. None of that helps if he just hit a river and aquaplaned though.

[Edited on 06-10-2014 by JonnyJ]
Ben G

6th Oct 14 at 11:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like the pirelli tyre guy said, the inters only displace 25 litres of water every second, compared to 65 litres on the full wets.

If theres more than that on the track, you're pretty much buggered in terms of being able to drive your motor through it at any speed.
Ben G

6th Oct 14 at 12:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If anyone wants to have a nice Facepalm moment, read the comments section of the newest daily mail article about this. It's actually laughable how retarded some people are.

People moaning that the race track is dangerous, the helicopter couldn't fly (bullshit), they should use cranes like Monaco (yeah ok, lets buy in 150 cranes) and bollocks like that.

Fact is, they were on intermediate tyres at the time. If they were on full wets and aquaplanning, the race would've been stopped as we've seen before.

Can't win. People moan it's too safe and call for Bernies sprinkler idea to be made reality, then the same people moan when there are crashes, which, i'm sorry to say are what make headlines.

Can't remember the last time I saw an article about F1 being the top story on the skynews website.
Steve
Premium Member

6th Oct 14 at 12:49   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its because this country is full of liberal twats like fad
Kyle T
Premium Member

6th Oct 14 at 13:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Someone on the Autosport forums broke down all the sector times at the time of the incident and the only two drivers to lift in the double waved yellows was Lewis and Nico, Nico lifted the most.

Double waved yellow behavior is a problem, and has been for a while. We don't seem to see it much anymore but drivers used to "wave" at the marshals as a gesture to the cameras to say "hey look, I'm lifting". Problem is. They were still flat out and were just doing it one handed so actually less safe than normal

I think a realistic engineering solution to this is to modify the JCBs. Having head height slots for the cars to go into is just bad news. Some kind of retrofitted skirts for the JCBs that just deflects the energy a little differently shouldn't be a big cost compared to cranes and the trained operators at every corner.

We get it drilled into us at work that there's no such thing as bad luck, one of those things, accidents happen etc when it comes to safety. In motorsport there is an obvious difference but still I think changes can be made to reduce the chances of a repeat and mitigate the damage if it does repeat.

Remember all the shit Charlie was getting for having Silverstone red flagged for so long? People were saying "what are the odds of somebody going off at the same place" etc. This weekend was an example of how it is possible, however unlikely.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Jambo

6th Oct 14 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sutil said he aquaplaned so I am guessing that is what happened to Bianchi and tbh who saw Eriksson go off when the safetycar was out? F1 cars arent designed to go slowly, Lewis was complaining his brakes were too cold etc.

It was incredibly unlucky of him to go off at that point, at that angle and hit the exact angle of the digger he did. All terribly unfortunate but as JJ says hopefully there will be no knee-jerk reaction more a investigative scientific approach to a realistic adjustment of the rules.

I can see it being as ridiculous as banning racing in the wet!
Rob_Quads

6th Oct 14 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Video of the accident https://vine.co/v/OK69b15iP1T including a slomo http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/6619993/e2683a2f/bianchi_crash_formule_1_japan.html

Way faster than I thought it was. It was a helmet straight onto truck and it would have been crushed

[Edited on 06-10-2014 by Rob_Quads]
Jambo

6th Oct 14 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuck me.
Gsi_Ire

6th Oct 14 at 15:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

watching the multi tonne tractor get thrown up in the air.... just makes me think that he is gone....

they are not announcing it till his family get there to say good bye

[Edited on 06-10-2014 by Gsi_Ire]
djgritt
Premium Member

6th Oct 14 at 15:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fuck that.

Thst was carrying some pace to shift the Tractor to that extent.
Ben G

6th Oct 14 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fucking hell! Never imagined it'd be that bad!

Honestly i'm waiting for the news he's passed away his helmet went into that counter weight
Gsi_Ire

6th Oct 14 at 15:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

SSN has an update via the family who arrived.

Apparently critical by stable... The doctor who was "involved" after schmu's accident has arrived and is expected to act a go between the family and the hospital doctors.

[Edited on 06-10-2014 by Gsi_Ire]
Scotty_B

6th Oct 14 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Steve
Premium Member

6th Oct 14 at 15:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

harsher punishments for people not properly obeying double yellow flags is perhaps a sensible reaction.

clearly was going way to fast for the yellow flags

as said previously, imagine if he'd ploughed into a marshall, everyone would have been giving him shit

[Edited on 06-10-2014 by Steve]
Ben G

6th Oct 14 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes Steve, but wait until we know for sure whether he's going to be ok before all that bollocks.

safety car should have been out as soon as Sutil aquaplaned off imo.
Rob_Quads

6th Oct 14 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like he lost control at 203 kph from the telemtry, that's 125mph!

p

6th Oct 14 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Christ that was a bad one!!!
Ben G

6th Oct 14 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like the sun has shown the video on their website.

Surprised at that, even for them. Especially as he's not ''out of the woods'' yet, or even anywhere near being ok.

Poor guy. His great uncle was an F1 driver who died whilst testing, I read.

<<  91    92    93    94    95    96    97  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official F1 Season 2014 Thread 24 database queries in 0.0353980 seconds