corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official F1 Season 2014 Thread

New Poll
  <<  95    96    97    98    99    100    101  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author The Official F1 Season 2014 Thread
JonnyJ

User status: Offline
9th Oct 14 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It would be so good to see them paired back together again, especially in the best car. I'd even be happy to see Lewis go back to that team from Woking for it to happen. Mind, knowing Mclaren they'd probably manage to fuck both their chances up and let someone from another team come in and steal the championship. Again.

[Edited on 09-10-2014 by JonnyJ]
Kyle T
Premium Member

9th Oct 14 at 15:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Scotty_B
quote:
Originally posted by Rob_Quads
Perez obviously diesn't like racing much - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/29551563

Seriously - A safety car every time one is on the track. Some races that would mean 4/5 safety cars.

If they really want a good solution how about double yellow means you must apply the pit limiter. That would slow them down to a safe speed. It could even be automatic if they really wanted it to be fair so that everyone starts and stops at the same place

Applying the pit limiter would only work if it happened to all the cars at the same time. Tearing down a straight and the car in front hits the brakes/limiter just before you isn't going to be pretty.

Pit Limiter just wouldn't work, the pit limiter does NOT slow drivers down - it simply is applied to prevent them exceeding a certain speed so they manually need to brake down into the pit zone BEFORE applying the limiter. Why else do we see so many "speeding in the pitlane" infractions?

Not that it's technically impossible of course to remotely limit the speed of a car (and slow it down) - but imagine doing that to a car on the edge of balance going round 130R or Eau Rouge - they would be in a barrier.

Double Waved yellows should be sufficient, it's just not ENFORCED. They don't need to throw technology at this one.

They could switch up to a full course yellow (like NASCAR) and then broadcast a maximum delta to all cars (same as SC right now).

It would effectively by a SC without the SC - so would probably cut 2-3 laps away from the regular procedure.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Rob_Quads

9th Oct 14 at 15:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But you would not apply it on going round 130R in the same way you would not throw up double yellows in the middle of the corner. If you have a corner where people are entering it at high speed you will be waiving the double yellows before the start of the corner i.e. it does not change where the double yellows get waved.

I realise the limiter does not slow them down but thats where the driver skill comes. He has to get the most out the car but knows the second he hits that double yellow section he needs to be on the pit limiter. It would be easy to police as the numbers are there in black or white.

The problem with the current system is how do you really enforce it. "ready to stop" is the saying that double yellows is meant to mean so is that 50, 75, 100. Every person will have a different opinion to. If someone slows to 75, another to 50 and the guy going 75 catches the guy doing 50, next corner - they will be both doing 75, when one tries 80 .... Perez said it himself. They will always going as fast as they can.

[Edited on 09-10-2014 by Rob_Quads]
JonnyJ

9th Oct 14 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Going back to Alonso, i see Lotus have now officially announced they will be using Merc engines from next season. Not a ridiculous suggestion he could end up back there, I'd imagine they'd be open to a 1 year deal which would give him options for 2015.

Only issue would be, could they they afford him?

[Edited on 09-10-2014 by JonnyJ]
djgritt
Premium Member

9th Oct 14 at 16:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

The problem with the current system is how do you really enforce it.

Utilise the Drivers penalty points system for drivers not sufficiently slowing to what is deemed a suitable pace based on the seriousness of the incident.
The points system appeared to be getting used earlier this year, to the point where people started to wonder when we would see someone being banned from a race/disqualified etc.
Then, seemingly, the points system just hasn't really been discussed or used as much and almost seems redundant.

Punishment of the drivers for breaching any safety instructions/situations will soon start to bring them into line.

I'm personally getting fed up of the knee jerk reaction (as someone put it before) to the accident at Japan - yes it is an extremely unfortunate event and I am hopeful of Bianchis recovery, but this was a bit of a freak incident.

The recovery method is used elsewhere, and was also used at other points over the weekend. Nothing has hit them before, and what were the chances of a car coming off what seems to be the exact same spot as another? Just bad luck.

I'm against closed cockpits in Formula 1. It wouldn't be the same atall.
If they close the cockpits on F1 cars, they may as well do the GP2/GP3 cars too, just in case. Then start going down the single seater ranks back down to Formula Ford.
Complete over-reaction IMO.

Rob_Quads

9th Oct 14 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by djgritt

The problem with the current system is how do you really enforce it.

Utilise the Drivers penalty points system for drivers not sufficiently slowing to what is deemed a suitable pace based on the seriousness of the incident.

Sufficiently is just to vague. If someone got penalty points for breaking the rules then the next race the conditions are different then it's again a complete guess as to what is allowed

Numbers are so much easier to police when the SC comes out there is a delta they have to follow and its black or white whether they do
Kyle T
Premium Member

9th Oct 14 at 18:10   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
But you would not apply it on going round 130R in the same way you would not throw up double yellows in the middle of the corner. If you have a corner where people are entering it at high speed you will be waiving the double yellows before the start of the corner i.e. it does not change where the double yellows get waved.

I realise the limiter does not slow them down but thats where the driver skill comes. He has to get the most out the car but knows the second he hits that double yellow section he needs to be on the pit limiter. It would be easy to police as the numbers are there in black or white.

The problem with the current system is how do you really enforce it. "ready to stop" is the saying that double yellows is meant to mean so is that 50, 75, 100. Every person will have a different opinion to. If someone slows to 75, another to 50 and the guy going 75 catches the guy doing 50, next corner - they will be both doing 75, when one tries 80 .... Perez said it himself. They will always going as fast as they can.

[Edited on 09-10-2014 by Rob_Quads]

I was responding to Scotty, he suggested that this limiter should be applied to all cars at the same time - meaning it's not a driver situation which means the 130R/Eau Rouge scenario could happen.

Another problem with the "limiter" function is fairness. You could have some drivers in a sector with a 200mph average speed, limited down to 60mph or whatever and then you could have drivers at another section of track which an average speed of 120mph being limited to 60mph... so they will gain.

Obviously the existing SC issue is the same (bunching the pack, eroding leads) but the speed limited yellows could result in somebody turning a 3sec lead into a 20sec lead quite easily - which is unfair in the "opposite direction" so to speak.

Enforce yellow flag "pisstakes", throw a few severe penalties about. Job done.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Robin
Premium Member

9th Oct 14 at 18:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

An enclosed cockpit would only work in a situation when there was debris involved, Senna, Surtees, Pryce?... Not when a car is doing 110mph into a heavy vehicle. It's utterly pointless.
Aaron

9th Oct 14 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why not just leave things as they are, and accept that people get hurt in motorsport.

I almost didn't write that comment due to the people in here who will no doubt shoot me down for having an opinion.
tom130691
Premium Member

9th Oct 14 at 19:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
i think Vettel to Ferrari is a clear aim of what vettel wants to achieve

He wants the status that Schumi got i.e moving to a poor performing team and building it up to become the dominant for years to come

I just hope Alonso lands a drive even if its at Mclaren who I dislike very much

Or

Is Vettel saving face and fleeing in case he keeps being beaten by Danny Ric??

Is it a sign redbull are on the decline loosing Newey, Vettel has a good view of what is happening inside and is leaving before they drop down the grid?
djgritt
Premium Member

9th Oct 14 at 21:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron
Why not just leave things as they are, and accept that people get hurt in motorsport.

I agree with that.
Ben G

10th Oct 14 at 00:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm still of the belief that Bianchi's helmet didn't actually come into contact with the tractor.

His injury is usually caused by rapid deceleration/acceleration, not impacts to the head.

Still harsh either way. But F1 is very safe despite this. So many times i've seen massive crashes and the driver walks away without a scratch.
JonnyJ

10th Oct 14 at 05:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Quite poignant in the Marussia garage. Max's car looks like any other car getting prepared for FP1, whilst Bianchis car sits fully built up, wheels on. Looks like they might be giving it a skip, well, FP1 anyway

[Edited on 10-10-2014 by JonnyJ]
whitter45

10th Oct 14 at 11:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maurussia running only 1 car this weekend
whitter45

10th Oct 14 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by tom130691
quote:
Originally posted by whitter45
i think Vettel to Ferrari is a clear aim of what vettel wants to achieve

He wants the status that Schumi got i.e moving to a poor performing team and building it up to become the dominant for years to come

I just hope Alonso lands a drive even if its at Mclaren who I dislike very much

Or

Is Vettel saving face and fleeing in case he keeps being beaten by Danny Ric??

Is it a sign redbull are on the decline loosing Newey, Vettel has a good view of what is happening inside and is leaving before they drop down the grid?

could be, but Vettel has still earned 76% of the points of Ricardo, apart from merc its the best performing team-mates on the grid and vettel has been much stronger in the last few races

If you use that analogy vergne has out performed Kvyat but doesnt make him a worse driver as Redbull have taken him for building the future team

Granted Ric is great driver and will do well as long as redbull give him the right machine
Scotty_B

10th Oct 14 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Aaron

Agree entirely. Severe accidents are rare in F1, so when it does happen everyone shits themselves.
JonnyJ

10th Oct 14 at 20:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lewis looked good in FP2. Has done all year though, hes topped a ridiculous amount of them.

No doubt Rosberg will be doing a CTRL+C CTRL+V job on the settings tonight
JonnyJ

10th Oct 14 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just looking at this track, getting a good start is going to be key as its a monumental run to what is going to be the first real corner, T2. Get a bad get away and you're going to lose out loads.
Ben G

10th Oct 14 at 23:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

T3 impresses me greatly. Would absolutely.love to see a banzai Overtake around the outside of it.

Track as a whole looks alright. Nice setting, some decent straights and bends.

2nd last corner seems to be catching almost every driver out.
Rob_Quads

11th Oct 14 at 10:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks like they are considering how to implement force speed limits. Charlie has said that drivers are not slowing down enought so they are going to have to take measures to make sure they do
Ben G

11th Oct 14 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could have a slow down sector, a speed limit enforced aector and then a speed up sector.

A bit of a pain, but better than a safety car for every vehicle recovery.
Ben G

11th Oct 14 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also, Lewis

bottas absolutely banzai'd the last 2 corners and messed up his good work
Rob_Quads

11th Oct 14 at 14:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The problem was the only reason he was up coming up to the last two corners was because he had gone hell for leather at the start taking all the life out the tyres
Hamilton had held back slightly, taking routes which are slightly softer on the wheels to make sure he had the tyres for the whole lap
Ben G

11th Oct 14 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yep, loads of morons saying Lewis was lucky

racing is tactical, just like any other sport. Bottas' tyres were completely gone by the end.
Jambo

11th Oct 14 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I slept through qualifying

Saw senna doing a cool comparison between Valreri and Lewis on board cams.

What did I miss?

<<  95    96    97    98    99    100    101  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » The Official F1 Season 2014 Thread 24 database queries in 0.0448630 seconds