corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Had 2 letters of good news today...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Had 2 letters of good news today...
Paul_J

User status: Offline
17th Jan 04 at 22:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always worry about getting letters I'm not expecting incase they're for speeding or revoking my license Today I got 2 letters in the post, both of which had good news.

The first was a nice letter from my previous employer (Legoland Windsor Theme Park) - offering me a job for next season. Which is nice because I'm skint.

And the second letter was a offer of a university place at Brunel University!

The only problem is, they asked for two things...

a DMM (Distinction, Merit, Merit overall) - which should be fine as I was predicted a Distinction, Distinction, Distinction. and also required was a Distinction in 'Programming Concepts and Practice' Unit. The thing is, I'm good at coding, and this would be no sweat if that unit was done as a single unit, buts its part of a thing called the 'IVA' for me, which is 2 units worth double points, averaged out to give the final grade.

The other unit is a more theory and rather boring one, which I wouldn't do as well at - All the methodologies and such. The problem is, although the programming unit on its own I'd probably get a distinction, because of this IVA thing I'll probably only get a Merit (as the marks will be averaged between the two units)

Do you think Brunel will accept a Merit in it, if I have the DMM or higher overall? because getting a distinction in the IVA is really hard, they raised the limit this year from 80% to 90% for distinction in IVA.

Anyone have any knowledge of how strict uni's are with grades? or whether they'll only take exactly what they ask for? Sadly I've only got one offer back so far, mainly because thanks to the incompetence of my tutor the ucas things were only sent about a week ago!

[Edited on 17-01-2004 by Paul_J]
Dr Pepper

17th Jan 04 at 22:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Brunel shouldnt be too picky mate

If your tutors cocked the ucas up have you thought about taking a year out and applying the next year-

This is what happened to me and it meant i could get some money together before uni- and a years work experiance doesnt hurt to have on your cv after uni.

My year out was a wicked year- first time in my life i had ever had any money of my own to spend

[Edited on 17-01-2004 by Dr Pepper]
Paul_J

17th Jan 04 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, they cocked it up as in it was a bit late getting sent off, but it was before the final dead line so thats not a problem is it?

I'd waste a year out, if I took one and regardless because I changed what I wanted to do after first year of A levels I am basically entering at the same time as people my age have already had a year out.
Dr Pepper

17th Jan 04 at 22:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Alright cool- Yeah you should be alright if you are within deadline.

I was gonna go to brunel at one point- seemed ok
Dan B

17th Jan 04 at 22:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Unis are generally pretty lax with what they ask for, although I guess it depends how many entries they have...

I did my A-Levels (all those years ago), and ended up with BCD.

Leeds (1st choice) wanted BBB, so I didn't pin any hopes on getting in there (and I was right).

Liverpool (2nd choice) wanted BCC with a B in Maths......my B was in Maths, and the Uni Entrance Officer accepted me without even thinking about it.
Paul_J

17th Jan 04 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm, weirdest thing is, a mate of mine also got a offer, same uni, same course - he's doing the same course as me atm...

I got 5 distinctions and a merit last year, he got passes and merits...

He didn't get asked for the distinction in this unit, I did??? WTF?

I wonder whether my tutor fucked up, because Ucas didn't let you put what grades you had got, so he was supposed to - bet he wrote it wrong.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Had 2 letters of good news today... 23 database queries in 0.0092981 seconds