corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » my in car pc help topic :)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author my in car pc help topic :)
M2RTY

User status: Offline
22nd Jan 04 at 14:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi all in here

ive got my touchscreen TV with VGA/XGA inputs comming (hopefully) tomorrow

for now im using my normal PC just to get it all working ok, im hopeing this will run as normal off my 12v invertor?

now, i was transporting a pc in my car last week and it shakes that much that the soundcard and chip fell out i dont want this happening all the time
any ideas?

also im going for either a laptop or mini-itx machine for in car

any1 got any more hint/ideas etc

cheers all

marv
Melville

22nd Jan 04 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you will have to be careful with the HDD as they can be very tempramental when they are connected and with the power on. There fine when the power is turned.

Dunno about the pci cards and that tho, could possibly try and wedge them in place. Try hooking an elastic band over the top and attaching to the case somewhere, cant see it doing any harm
Richie

22nd Jan 04 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most hard drives these days have got a tolerance of a few G's, should be ok.

Mav, just use some locktight threadlock on the screws
M2RTY

22nd Jan 04 at 19:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

aye some have screws, this 1 didnt, just slotted in

is this normal?

also on shooping list is a 4 way vga splitter and gps mouse, trackerball and bluetooth keyboard but these will have 2 wait untill pc is done
Jill
Premium Member

22nd Jan 04 at 19:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by M2RV H
im going for either a laptop or mini-itx machine for in car

Didn't "KIT" (Knightrider's car) have one of these?!

JILL
Richie

22nd Jan 04 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
aye some have screws, this 1 didnt, just slotted in

is this normal?

also on shooping list is a 4 way vga splitter and gps mouse, trackerball and bluetooth keyboard but these will have 2 wait untill pc is done

nah each item should be fixed in with screws.
Rob Withey

22nd Jan 04 at 20:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
now, i was transporting a pc in my car last week and it shakes that much that the soundcard and chip fell out i dont want this happening all the time
any ideas?

Hot melt glue on each end of the card (between the card and the socket) is a common technique. Just make sure you stay away from the sides/contacts.

I assume you know about www.mp3car.com. Lots of people all chucking PCs in there cars (me too - see my site below).

Rob
http://www.nav.to/robwithey
M2RTY

22nd Jan 04 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

impressive site!!

ill b ok running my pc off a 12v invert?
drunkenfool

23rd Jan 04 at 03:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if it is powerful enough. PC will be using around 300w at a guess.
Rob Withey

23rd Jan 04 at 08:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
impressive site!!

ill b ok running my pc off a 12v invert?

Yeah, you'll be fine. It's clunky, but it'll work ok.

As an alternative, http://www.opussolutions.com do a 150W power supply that can replace your PC power supply and run straight off your battery. A lot of people use those. I believe it also includes a shut down controller that presses the power button on your PC to shut down when you turn off your ignition.
M2RTY

23rd Jan 04 at 15:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u got a price mate? im getting a full pc built so id like to know whats the best way about it

my invertor is 300 watts at the mo, dont mind using it as it works fine for me and i can still use pc in house
Rob Withey

23rd Jan 04 at 16:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Approx opus prices : http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=19840

You're looking at about $190 + shipping + tax for a 150W enclosed unit with cable kit. You'll need to make sure that it can power all your kit. I'd say stick with your inverter for now.
Dom

23rd Jan 04 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

like rob said, this has all been done before, so there are lots of bits out
you can get 12v PSU's or make one, which run straight off your battery, obviously, and you cant get 'PIC' controllers to switch the pc off after a set length off time when you turn the ignition off - it saves havingthe pc reboot up every time you get out the car for a few minutes
Also, you want the pc as small as possible, to be honest, so alot of people have gone for mini-itx systems mainly using the ones that VIA produce, think there called Epos(?), something like that. Also, hardrive wise, i would recommend that you get a laptop HD. I know its gonna be abit more pricey than a normal HD, but there are made to take a few shocks and knocks whereas a normal HD isnt .
Also, for the sound card, get a cheapy one with phono outputs (can get them off ebay for about 10 quid), saves having to use a small jack jobbies etc.
And finally, make sure you ground you case and every thing else is ground, otherwise you gonna get audiable buzzing etc

dom

p.s - dont bother using a lappy, it will be a pain in the arse to upgrade anything in the future, so get a mini-itx system for the finished install

edit: one last thing, if your planning to run winBlows then google for cut down versions of it. Ive seen windows 98 running using 19mb of the disk space and there are a few other versions like 2000 using about 90mb of disk space. Plus they start up alot quicker than a minimal installation of winblows However, look into Linux, since you can get some that will fit on a floppy or can be put into a compact flash card, thus leaving your HD for storage etc. Although if you planning to run GPS etc then i dont know what GPS/Map software there is floating about

[Edited on 23-01-2004 by VisibleMan]
MikeLamb

25th Jan 04 at 14:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.letscommunicate.co.uk/carpc/
M2RTY

29th Jan 04 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers lads

New Poll