corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » why does a uni/superchip give pants all BHP??

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author why does a uni/superchip give pants all BHP??
MoNkEy MaGiC

User status: Offline
22nd Feb 04 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive seen in other cars that get a good 20 or so bhp from chipping it!!

and ive seen in posts here that if i was to chip my Gsi it wudnt give much at all?? just an increase in rev ??
broster
Premium Member

22nd Feb 04 at 11:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

superchip wil lgive 5bhp gains, thats what i saw with my car, graph below, uni chip will give bout 7bhp gains, but the uni chip will give better gains mid range aswell, also if u have more mods to ur enigine than just exhaust and filter, such as a new inlet, then a uni chip wil lgive more power as it can be set up to run ur engine accordingly! IMO i wish i didnt get the superchip and saved up the extra £100 for a uni chip from velos!
superchip in the higher line
gsi-gaz

22nd Feb 04 at 11:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i put a superchip on my gsi mate and didnt notice much difference at all
Greg_M

22nd Feb 04 at 12:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a chip is'nt really a performance hanhanser fr more power, all it does is sort out peaks and drops in power, and sorts out the engine mods you have, not worth it unless you have inlet manifold, TB's ect
MoNkEy MaGiC

22nd Feb 04 at 12:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by gsi-gaz
i put a superchip on my gsi mate and didnt notice much difference at all

wat mods have u got mate, and which superchip?
Cybermonkey

22nd Feb 04 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Greg12v
a chip is'nt really a performance hanhanser fr more power, all it does is sort out peaks and drops in power, and sorts out the engine mods you have, not worth it unless you have inlet manifold, TB's ect

What the frig are you talking about? A chip is the key to getting succesful power from modern engines. You got two engines, identical, with both identical mods. One has standard engine management, the other has been careful prepared on a dyno with custom engine management, which is going to make more power and obliterate the other one??? Shitty chips like unichips and superchips arent worth the money. If you going to do it properly? MBE management properly set up creates the engine and makes sure all the modifications harmonise together to create peak power and torque with a higher rev limit. Very very important.

Dave
corb

22nd Feb 04 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Superchip and Unichip are completely different I thought?

The way I understood it, was a supership can be used to replace a standard item in your ECU and will remap a standard engine to gain more power/better economy etc.

Whereas a Unichip requires the car to be dyno'd and remapped manually as the idea of it is that it is completly re-mappable to the individual's specific requirements. Particularly useful on cars with aftermarket inlets, cams etc.

correct me if im wrong, cos im not 100% on this, but its the way i understood them.
Cybermonkey

22nd Feb 04 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

unichip can be customised more than a simple superchip, but still has limitations.
broster
Premium Member

22nd Feb 04 at 14:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cybermonkey24, all well and good saying go for mbe/dta etc. but have you seen the cost of then, your looking at about £900+ for it all set up, where as a uni chip is £400 and is more than enuff for most peoples needs, only time where dta will come in handy for people is when u run cams(as u cant use standard management with virnier pullies) throttle bodies etc.

[Edited on 22-02-2004 by broster]
miles

22nd Feb 04 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey24

A chip is the key to getting succesful power from modern engines...... Shitty chips like unichips and superchips arent worth the money.
Dave

A chip isn't aftermarket management.

Tell me an na engine that will gain 20bhp from a chip please.
Mattb

22nd Feb 04 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a 1.3 nova sr............

J da Silva

22nd Feb 04 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Mattb
a 1.3 nova sr............

i think you've been misinformed mate a nova sr only gains 20bhp if theres a rope tied to the towbar and a dog pullng it!

New Poll