corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » does modding your car decrease its resell value

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author does modding your car decrease its resell value
Russ

User status: Offline
20th Apr 04 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

having argument with my mate, he reckons it doesnt, but i reckon, your selling to a smaller market and you'll never get back what you spend, so yes it does. thoughts?
Sidesport

20th Apr 04 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You wont get back what you spend...
Adam

you will never get back the money you spent on mods
Daimo B

U will NEVER get back what u spend on a modified car, simple as really.
Robbo

20th Apr 04 at 15:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I spent £3k approx on my Corsa C, a std one when I sold it would have been worth £5.5k and I sold mine for £7k so I got back about half of waht I spent
Tom

20th Apr 04 at 15:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also depends on type of car, supra or evo will re-coup more probably....
Mase
Premium Member

20th Apr 04 at 15:47   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thats why some ppl return there cars to standard when they sell, cos people think of the stereotype of someone who drives a modded car and automatically think the car has been thrashed.

Mase
3CorsaMeal

20th Apr 04 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i hate this being said, in my mind i own the car when its mine, not bothered about what its gonna be worth when i go to sell it. enjoy it while its yours.
Chris P

20th Apr 04 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm hoping to get all my money back

Just kiddin
ed

20th Apr 04 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mase5
thats why some ppl return there cars to standard when they sell, cos people think of the stereotype of someone who drives a modded car and automatically think the car has been thrashed.

That stereo type couldn't be more wrong though. Who'd spend like £5k on a car just to thrash the shit outa it. It doesn't make sense to me...
Thoday

20th Apr 04 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends.. ur best stripping

i brought mine for £.5k.. had it 2and 1/4 years.. spent £3k on it in that time

got wrote off and have got £2500 at the moment back on her.. plus the £1200 i made stripping and sellin what i could so iv got £3700 back on a 1.0 after spendin £6500 in that time...

not bad cos its only worth £3k max if sold as modded
Ian
Site Administrator

20th Apr 04 at 16:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Trading it in is the worst case scenario, dealers will insult you if they think its not going to move very quickly on the forecourt which modded stuff doesnt.

I've known some people doing OK though, if you advertise it in the right place there is occasionally someone who will pay silly money just because it looks half unique.

Depends if you catch a daft buyer and I'd say this is a rare and lucky thing to do!
Thoday

20th Apr 04 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Trading it in is the worst case scenario, dealers will insult you if they think its not going to move very quickly on the forecourt which modded stuff doesnt.

I've known some people doing OK though, if you advertise it in the right place there is occasionally someone who will pay silly money just because it looks half unique.

Depends if you catch a daft buyer and I'd say this is a rare and lucky thing to do!

totally agree and also be prepared to wait a bit give urself 6mths b4 getin a new car cos to get what u want can take ages,, but theres always someone daft enuff not to care about the mods and the value effect
Gavin
Premium Member

20th Apr 04 at 16:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u will neva make back the money u spent on it!

in some cases.... it can de-value ya car
a good example of this is the myheer seat ibiza 1.8 20vt... these sell @ aroung 8-9k
the last time i saw it, it was up for sale for around 8k (one of the cheapest ive seen around) and must have had £KKKK's spent on it.

[Edited on 20-04-2004 by B19 GAV]

pew pew pew pewwwww
ed

20th Apr 04 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What about a really modded car, bit like mine... With a custom paint job, bodywork, custom interior and new engine. Surely it should be pretty valuable, I know I wont get my money back, cos at the end of the day the shell has done 100k miles and the engine similar, but its all been restored... Well restored isn't the right word to use, but ya know. Do you reckon people buy cars like mine?
Gavin
Premium Member

20th Apr 04 at 16:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

definately ya corsa will sell for more.... but u will neva get the money that u spent on it back!

I think buying a half done up car is the best way to go about things.... as u can pick them up for a good price and mod it to ur liking

pew pew pew pewwwww
Paul_J

20th Apr 04 at 16:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by 1800ed
What about a really modded car, bit like mine... With a custom paint job, bodywork, custom interior and new engine. Surely it should be pretty valuable, I know I wont get my money back, cos at the end of the day the shell has done 100k miles and the engine similar, but its all been restored... Well restored isn't the right word to use, but ya know. Do you reckon people buy cars like mine?

Thing is its all a matter of taste for a start...

If you sell a normal car (unmodded) it could appeal to a larger group of people, i.e. teenagers, adults, granparents

If you mod it, you can count out the older range of the spectrum and most teenagers although they'd love to buy your car can't afford the money your asking for it

This is why modded corsa's etc sell for a lot less. The people with the money to buy the expensive ones are usually too old to want to be driving a small engined corsa, however nice it looks.

Plus if you do get a certain range of people who are looking to buy a modded car, they might not have the same taste as you - so that limits it even further

Paul J
Ian
Site Administrator

20th Apr 04 at 16:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The BAT widearch Corsa on their website sold for more than it would have cost to build another one. I think the lad saw it, told his mum and dad that he wanted it and they paid the figure that the owner picked out of the air. He crashed it soon after as well and it needed another 4 grand spending on it
ed

20th Apr 04 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

eeek!! Thats crazy! Young kids shouldnt drive fast cars

[Edited on 20-04-2004 by 1800ed]
jaffa

20th Apr 04 at 17:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bought my old car for 3k sold for 3.5k four years later
starkmotorsport

20th Apr 04 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
The BAT widearch Corsa on their website sold for more than it would have cost to build another one. I think the lad saw it, told his mum and dad that he wanted it and they paid the figure that the owner picked out of the air. He crashed it soon after as well and it needed another 4 grand spending on it

Competition cars can be dodgy for resale value. Like modded cars, most dont sell for what they've cost to build, but a small percantage do sell for higher as the results history of a car can help.

ie. if the car has won championships, been driven by someone whos now become famous etc then the owner can ask for a higher price. Everyone knows a good car wont make you a good driver, but this doesnt matter.

I read a while back that Colin McRae was trying to buy back the Nova he used to compete in his first Scottish Championship, but was put off as the owner wanted silly money for it. But then again, its the second most famous Nova in the world. (First being Dave Metcalfes Mk2 GSi)
BeArDy

20th Apr 04 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Corsa For Sale offers over £20k
Rob H

20th Apr 04 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like people say, it depends on the car, and the buyer.

My old car went for quite a bit of money. 97P, 18k miles, immac condition, New tyres all round, new cam/fan belt, all standard stuff (interior, wheels, dash bits etc).

Bought it for £2900, had it 12 months, put 9k miles on it, and sold it for £3,200. Thing is though, it was truley an immaculate car, and you wouldnt find another one in as good a condition IMO.
corsa5dr

20th Apr 04 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bought my corsa for about 3k, 37k on the clock. Spend around 3k on it and sold it for 3200 a year and a half later with 48k on it. As standard it would have fetched 2500 odd, so i sold it for more, but would never recoup the money i spent on it.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » does modding your car decrease its resell value 24 database queries in 0.0161829 seconds