corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Where does the law stand...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Where does the law stand...
PaulW

User status: Offline
29th May 04 at 10:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Regarding Hydraulic Handbrakes...

I've been lookin into this for a few days now, some places say there illegal, others don't.

Also rang up a few MOT Stations & they were unsure also. Looked on motuk.co.uk and there was nothing on there about them either...

I've heard a few production cars lately have hydraulic handbrakes as standard too, but yet to find out which cars...
sfxer

29th May 04 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just run two handbrakes, 1 for fun 1 for parking, thats how my mates run their rally cars
sfxer

29th May 04 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for the mot the handbrake must be mechanical
TOMAS

29th May 04 at 11:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Forgive me if im wrong but I believe the problem with MOT's and fly-off hydraulic hand brakes is that they dont have facility to lock, i.e no ratchet mechanism which means you have to run a seperate line-lock?

TAS uk & rally design both sell a piece which you can couple to your existing handbrake to turn it hydraulic and still keep the ratchet mechanism, bit of custom modification but no biggie and of course you'll need to be running the lines right through the car, do away with the rear bias valve and buy an adjustable item which aint that costly...
J100RSA

29th May 04 at 14:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IT wont pass an mot u have to have a seperate mechanical device to stop /hold the car
TOMAS

29th May 04 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough then, just run one mounted to the rear of the std handbrake, on the tunnel with a long lever it should be fine, just look a tad silly with two handbrakes LOL.
PaulW

30th May 04 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

trouble is tho I'll be running front calipers & discs all round, as doing the twin engine conversion.

Been lookin on the web & found a company called GTM who do kit-cars, and have a handbrake caliper kit.

quote:
These substantial items are mounted to the hubs using longer steering arm bolts. The handbrake calipers operate in a similar manner to the V-brakes found on modern mountain bikes.

There only for Metro calipers tho but wonder if it could be adapted to fit ATE Calipers?

Will be running V6 up front & ATE on the rear, or should I run V6 all round?

pic of the kit...

[Edited on 30-05-2004 by PaulW]

New Poll