corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Linux

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Linux
Antz

User status: Offline
17th Jun 04 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What are the plus points of using it?

What's the best version?

What are the main differences of each one?

Anyone got time to answer this I would be very happy.... cheers.
James_DT

17th Jun 04 at 23:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The plus points are out-weighed by the fact it's a total cunt to install to the un-experienced user, and the fact it's not as compatible as Windows. It's rock solid when setup properly, though.
Antz

17th Jun 04 at 23:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well I use redhat at work on my server but I've never used any of the others... I just wanted to look in to it to see if I could get in to the programming side of it more
Dan B

17th Jun 04 at 23:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Had a few suggested to me for the server I'm building......Red Hat, Mandrake, SuSe, and debian.

Think I'm going to go with debian, it's supposed to be quite a nice flavour, and it's what the work-servers already use, so compatibility shouldn't be an issue!
Tim
Site Administrator

18th Jun 04 at 00:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We use Slackware here, mainly because it's what I grew up on (and it's a bit more BSD-like than a lot of linux systems now. It's also not full of automated bits and wizards)...

Redhat is useful for ISP mass deployment purely because of the ease of centralised administration and patching (and support as Redhat is backed by a huge corporation)...

When you say you want to 'get into the programming side of it' -- what exactly do you mean by that?
Antz

18th Jun 04 at 09:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tim
We use Slackware here, mainly because it's what I grew up on (and it's a bit more BSD-like than a lot of linux systems now. It's also not full of automated bits and wizards)...

Redhat is useful for ISP mass deployment purely because of the ease of centralised administration and patching (and support as Redhat is backed by a huge corporation)...

When you say you want to 'get into the programming side of it' -- what exactly do you mean by that?

I mean like creating programs that rely on it to push stuff out to clients... we are thinking about having software that will setup a PC just by the click of the mouse, I just need to get to know it a bit beter before I can start work on customizations for this software... another one of the coucils brilliant ideas!!!
Antz

18th Jun 04 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will be a DHCP server mostly but if it goes well we could have it do everything, web server... the lot.
bree

18th Jun 04 at 18:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ed

18th Jun 04 at 18:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to use Mandrake... It's got a nice GUI installation program too... But Then, I thought 'hang on XP is better'... SO I moved back - life story over
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

18th Jun 04 at 19:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mandrake is nice for a new user, easy to install and all.

Slackware is pretty hardcore, hardly hear bad things about it.

OOOOR you could use something abit better, its not exactly Linux but thats a good thing

http://www.freebsd.org

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Linux 23 database queries in 0.0196202 seconds