corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » How do I smooth out the interior trim texture??!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author How do I smooth out the interior trim texture??!
Drysdale

User status: Offline
   17th Jun 04 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right.

Have read cobra148's (great) guide and I don't have a problem at all when it comes to the painting side of things.

HOWEVER..

I seem to have a major problem with smoothing down the interior 'orange peel' texture! Whenever I read a guide the guide seems to breeze through this pretty easy as if its a minor part. I started rubbing down the door pockets for 3 days, 3 hours a day and still it looks hardly touched! I want this glass finish and want to smooth the texture out til smooth!

I've tried loads of different wet n dry grit paper, using very low numbered ones (200 grit) yet this makes little different.

Are there any other methods? (no suggestions of mechanical sanders please...) Please, please, please help! Its a pain in the arse.
Mav 3000

17th Jun 04 at 19:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ELBOW GREASE helps

It shouldn't take 3 days and 3 hours!
Drysdale

17th Jun 04 at 20:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol...I've gone through so much of the shit....and really do put effort in. Come on....is there a technique for using it? A rubbing technique etc? You can tell I'm desperate.
5doormodder

17th Jun 04 at 20:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres no need to rub this down, I used Hi-build primer and gave it a couple of thick coats and rubbed it down slightley so some plastic was showign through and then gave it another couple of coats and rubbed it down with 1200 gritt and its smoooooooth cant see any dimples and its much easier than all that sanding !
1600power

get an electric sander (cheap one for £20 from B&Q) then just sit with it sanding on a single area for a good while and it shud b smoother than a babies arse then progress onto the next area.

repeat as neccessery
5doormodder

of course i used plastic primer on it before i put the hi build primer on it !
Drysdale

17th Jun 04 at 20:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1600power...how long roughly should i 'leave it standing'? This method sounds a bit iffy but I'm willing to try anything.
Amavi Automotive

17th Jun 04 at 21:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Really to acheive a first class finish, you need to get rid of the texture completely, then paint on this surface, filling the groves of the texture is easy yes, but suspect to how long the paint will stay adhered.

We always rub the high spots right away

Will
1600power

17th Jun 04 at 22:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Drysdale
1600power...how long roughly should i 'leave it standing'? This method sounds a bit iffy but I'm willing to try anything.

well by leave it standing i dont mean leave it standing till the plastic gets warm to touch as this cud cause damage but say keep it in the same spot for say 5 sec's and then move on obviously keep going over it all and eventually it shud work itself smooth!
ed

17th Jun 04 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Most bodyshops I have spoken to skim the plastic with fibreglass... I would use Hi-Build Primer though... and smooth it out that method...
kain

18th Jun 04 at 18:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

give 1 coat of filler primer then rub down with the finest sand paper you can buy or wet n dry. keep adding a coat then rubbing down untill its compleetly smooth then spray with colour then laccour. did my arch trims like this and came out spot on
Mav 3000

18th Jun 04 at 20:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Use really heavy grit - like you have been to scratch it all up - then use a lighter grade to smooth it out.

Once its 'rough to the touch' and not bobbly, prime it - then let it dry a little. Then use wet wetndry to smudge the primer to make it dead smooth - and re-spray until smooth all over.

I find circular motions when sanding owrk better than forwards and backwards.
Red_SXi

18th Jun 04 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Use high build primer, give it time to dry before you paint over it, and make sure its properly smooth, because it will sink and you will see your texture through the primer
Kris TD

18th Jun 04 at 21:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

take the shione off spray lots of primer on use 800 grit to sand the primer, easy as that, oh plastic primer.

New Poll