corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » HPI check

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author HPI check
Ryan L

User status: Offline
21st Jul 04 at 16:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just got a HPI check on a car and its says its been a Cat C damage what does this mean
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
21st Jul 04 at 16:05   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The quick answer is walk away. The long answer is here - http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=33
Mistamist

21st Jul 04 at 16:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Means it was in a crash but repairable, and the repair cost exceeded the price of the car.
Mistamist

21st Jul 04 at 16:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

More formal information here
Ryan L

21st Jul 04 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

why should i walk away
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Jul 04 at 16:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The car has previously been badly damaged. You need to be sure that the repair is satisfactory and you can obtain insurance - they are often more expensive to cover.
Mistamist

21st Jul 04 at 16:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wouldnt walk away straigh off, it could be a car worth £500 and needed a few panels to be sprayed cos it had a bump. go check out the car and get it inspected iof possible. bear in mind there may be hidden damage (bent chassis etc)
Ryan L

21st Jul 04 at 16:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the car has been repaired as i viewed it
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Jul 04 at 16:23   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How well?
Ryan L

21st Jul 04 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i didn't notice anything but thought i should get a HPI anyway
Ian
Site Administrator

21st Jul 04 at 16:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd buy it only after I'd stripped a few panels back and maybe had a good look underneath.
Ryan L

21st Jul 04 at 16:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ta for the advice ian
1600power

22nd Jul 04 at 01:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
The car has previously been badly damaged. You need to be sure that the repair is satisfactory and you can obtain insurance - they are often more expensive to cover.

i repair damaged repairable cars and sell them as that and it often makes me laugh at peoples misconceptions when it comes to this subject.

A cat c damaged car has indeed been written off by the insurance as 'damaged' but damaged covers a wide spectrum of things.

I've seen no end of cars that have dented wings being passed as Cat C's even tho the damage on them is pathetically minimal, and this isnt just the odd one out of a hundred but 70% of them!

as for the cost of insuring a previously damaged car being more expensive......bollocks simple as!

Any more questions and I will happily answer them for u, but dont simply think "sh!t its been damaged gotta run a mile" use the information you have gained via the HPI to haggle on the price, its defo a good bartering tool!
Rob

22nd Jul 04 at 07:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Leni buys her cars Cat C and repairs them, when she sells them on, she informs the buyer she bought it from a salvage yard and repaird it! She ain' ever lost a buyer and makes money out of it

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » HPI check 23 database queries in 0.0199912 seconds