corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » New Cars and Oil Usage

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New Cars and Oil Usage
Black Corsa SRi

User status: Offline
14th Nov 04 at 12:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I bought a new car about a month ago now. A pug 206 it was an ex demonstrator and had done about 1800 miles i've put about 1000 on it now but since its been a demonstrator these 1000 are prob the 1st real everyday use its had. I've checked the oil 2day and its droped by about a 10th of the distance between the max and min on the dipstick. There are no signs of leak anywhere on the engine its still clean as it was new. So i can only assume its been burned is this norm? it worrying me a bit but since its a sunday the service dept at garage i bought it from is closed
Cybermonkey

14th Nov 04 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont worry, its quite normal for new engines to burn a bit of oil, its part of the bedding in process. Give it a little top up and keep running it in gently
Black Corsa SRi

14th Nov 04 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I kind of thought that was the case but i not got that much knowlage about car engines! LOL cheers
James R

14th Nov 04 at 13:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The runnign in porcess is normally the first 1000-1500miles. Just keep an eye on it, take it you have warranty on it, so can take it back to be fixed if it continues.
Black Corsa SRi

14th Nov 04 at 13:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oh yeah got warranty and i looked up on the peugoetwebsite and it says this so i think i just gonna top back up and forget about itas my engine has used nowhere near 0.5l in 1000miles:

"Why does an engine consume oil?
• Oil consumption is a normal phenomenon in the operation of an engine.
• However, excessive consumption indicates an engine malfunction, for various reasons: unsuitable lubricant, too fluid, too volatile or degraded.
• The way the motorist drives.
• Mechanical condition of the vehicle.
• Climatic conditions.
• At up to 0.5 litre of oil per 600 miles, Peugeot regards the engine as operating normally.

In the event of abnormal oil consumption, consult your Peugeot Dealer.

[Edited on 14-11-2004 by Black Corsa SRi]
miles

14th Nov 04 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Half a litre use in 600 miles normal on a new low mileage engine!

Fcuk me thats a cop out by them! Thats saying that adding about 8 lites of oil between oil changes is normal!
James R

14th Nov 04 at 16:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thought oil changes were at 9000mile intervals :eek: 12L of oil, could let it blow up under warranty then run in the new one yourself?
miles

14th Nov 04 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A tenth of the gap on the dipstick is about 50ml. Such an small amount could easily be caused by the level of the ground the cars parked on, how settled the engine is etc.

I should only worry if it goes down more, dont top it up and wait and see. Just keep an eye on it.
Black Corsa SRi

14th Nov 04 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nah it was 100% on the flat as its where i always check my oil it only took 100ML to bring it back to max and i cant be 100% exactly how much was in when i bought it as this is 1st time i checked it as only had it a month and it may have not quite been topped to max when got it so i will keep an eye on it from now. I not really worried now after reading that especially as after 3000miles even if it a leak or abnormal consumption its got a warratny and nothing like that should happen on an engine that new, plus as it was owned and maintained by peugeot before me they can hardly say it hadnt been properly looked after! So it'll be a warranty job anyway

New Poll