corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Amp blowing fuses.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Amp blowing fuses.
Scotty_B

User status: Offline
   17th Nov 04 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Last night I was driving along with the music up quite loud and all of a sudden the sub stops working. So I get out and check everything and the amp for the sub isn't on but the other one is. I checked the fuses and everything seems fine so I turn the power back on and both the amps turn on but the lights on both amps start dimming to the beat of the music and then the fuse for the sub amp blows and the dimming stops.

Sub amp has a 60amp fuse.
other amp has a 20amp fuse.

I have a 4awg wire with an 80amp fuse at the battery going to a distribution block with a 60amp and a 20 amp fuse in. I use an 8awg to each corresponding amp.

Everything has been working fine for 6 months so I can't understand why its all of a sudden stopped working.

Any ideas?
kev_corsa

17th Nov 04 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

pulling too much current, replace the fuses and see what happens but dont turn it up too loud.

could be because you had it up loud and pulled a fair bit of current from the battery that the voltage dropped. This would cause the amp to draw more current.
Dom

18th Nov 04 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

personally i would replace the 8 gauge with 4 gauge, and double check that there isnt any shorts etc

Then like kev has said, fit a 90amp fuse and see what happens Just been careful though as something could short that wont trigger the fuse to blow, so you will get something burning in the back
Scotty_B

19th Nov 04 at 10:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Both amps only have 8awg terminals.

Just had a look at the fuse at the battery and its 150amp. I'll change it for an 80amp and see what happens.

Damn ICE fitters.
neiliosxi

19th Nov 04 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

^^ tell me bout the terminals mate! i got a huge digital amp to run 4 x 15's, the manual recomends u use 3 batterys for spl but the amp had 4awg terminals
have a look at these adapters, bout a fiver each:
S48ADAPT or S48ADAPTPT:
4 to 8 gauge adapter converts 4 gauge wire to an 8 gauge pin.
http://www.stingerelectronics.com/web/prods/terminals.asp

New Poll