corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » CV's

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author CV's
Colin

User status: Offline
7th Dec 04 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im redoing mine atm.....thought it would be comicable to do it in works time instead of my own

Ok I used to work in a power station monitoring different chemical dosing systems and carrying out lab analysis........now I work in an office bidding contracts and surveying building sites.

Should I leave in all the shite from my old job - loads of technical shite which does sound pretty good and that but im not sure if its relevant at all now and has nothing to do with my line of work anymore should I just stick to things that matter and not confuse the shit out of whoever reads it
Colin

7th Dec 04 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Need help....not very good at this CV writing shoite
TNM

7th Dec 04 at 14:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depends what job your going for but it could also make it look like you are very flexible in your approach to work and can addapt to different jobs because you are technical minded
Robbo

7th Dec 04 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Keep it
Ian
Site Administrator

7th Dec 04 at 14:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the skills are transferable or they are underpinned by something more general leave them in.

Don't ever get technical - its very rare someone wants to read too much about that, its more about what you are responsible for than what systems you can find your way around.
Ian
Site Administrator

7th Dec 04 at 14:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by TNM
flexible in your approach to work
Translated : Finds the easiest way out of everything...
CCA

7th Dec 04 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I work for a recruitment company and any infornmation that shows your different skills is useful it will show that you are able to do a variety of tasks and that your not limited plus if you have tried different jobs then employers will think that you are flexable to learn new skills
vibrio
Banned

7th Dec 04 at 14:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

here is mine

Ross Thomson BSc MSc

18 Ben Vorlich Drive
Darnley
Glasgow
G537PF

0141 home
01292 work
Work r.thomson@

EDUCATION

1999-2000: MSc (by research) – Division of Infection and Immunity, University of Glasgow.
Title of Thesis: Characterisation of haemolytic bacteria isolated from turbot Scophthalmus maximus (L.) larvae.

1995-1998: BSc (Hons) Molecular Biology 2:2, University of Glasgow

1993-1995: HND Applied Sciences, Stow College

EMPLOYMENT HISTORY

June 2001 – Present:

Research Assistant with Dr ---------, Dept. of Cell Biochemistry, Hannah Research Institute, Ayr.
The work of this group focuses mainly on understanding the structure and function of, as well as the regulation of the genes for, the major enzymes involved in fatty acid oxidation.

In addition to providing general molecular biological support for Dr Price, and assisting others in the group where necessary, I have also been given responsibility for a number of sub-projects within the group.

August 1999 - November 2000:
MSc Studentship with Prof. ---------, Division of Infection & Immunity, IBLS, University of Glasgow.

Research focused on characterising haemolytic bacteria in order to identify possible pathogens to larval fish via live feed. Characterisation utilised PCR, RFLP, Sequence analysis, BIOLOG GN carbohydrate analysis, phylogenic analysis, microbiological techniques and bacterial challenge to the turbot larvae.

June 1997-September 1997:
Voluntary summer student project with Dr --------, Division of Infection & Immunity, IBLS, University of Glasgow. I designed a project aiming to inhibit Bla1 mRNA translation in E. coli using antisense technology

WORK EXPEREINCE/ TECHNIQUES

In addition to my MSc research I have three years experience of working in a research laboratory
This has given me experience in a number of general microbiological and molecular biological techniques such as PCR, including primer design, cloning, SDS-PAGE, and western blotting. In addition I have extensive experience of protein expression and purification from E.coli, including HPLC and FPLC. I also have experience in tissue culture, including cell transfection and fluorescence microscopy.
I have also designed and managed my own projects, been involved in supervising both undergraduate and post-graduate students and collaborated with others within the Institute when my expertise has been required.

Publications

Maureen T. Travers, Amanda J. Vallance, Roger A. Clegg, Ross Thomson, Nigel T. Price, Michael C. Barber. Characterisation of an N-terminal variant of acetyl-CoA carboxylase-alpha: expression in human tissues and evolutionary aspects. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2003, 1634 (3) pp97-106.

Price N, van der Leij F, Jackson V, Corstorphine C, Thomson R, Sorensen A, Zammit V. A novel brain-expressed protein related to carnitine palmitoyltransferase I. Genomics. 2002, 80 (4) pp433-42.

[Edited on 07-12-2004 by vibrio]
TNM

7th Dec 04 at 15:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your MSc sounds boring vibs
vibrio
Banned

7th Dec 04 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your maw was boring
TNM

7th Dec 04 at 15:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by vibrio
your maw was boring

aye but she said shes seen newborn babys with a bigger dick!
Colin

7th Dec 04 at 15:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
If the skills are transferable or they are underpinned by something more general leave them in.

Don't ever get technical - its very rare someone wants to read too much about that, its more about what you are responsible for than what systems you can find your way around.

Not so much skills but equipment ive been trained to use some of it does go on a bit but makes me sound interesting and important

Stuff like - Acid lever 02 project - involvement monitoring blends of acidic crude oil running No2 CDU with the possibility of adding £8M/year to BP Profitability. Commissioned new ICPMS (Induced coupled plasma micro spectrography) and SSR unit to be used in implementing of low sulphur fuels.....etc.

Loads of shite about Powerstations, involvement in Coshh, risk assessing blah blah blah - Loads of technical jargon there but does sound good......I think or should I scrap it and stick to just things I require. like a more targeted CV to what I want to do now?

Ive cut some of the shite out now but really dont know if its any good

[Edited on 07-12-2004 by Kolin]
Colin

7th Dec 04 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
here is mine

Ross Thomson BSc MSc

18 Ben Vorlich Drive
Darnley
Glasgow
G537PF

0141 home
01292 work
Work r.thomson@

EDUCATION

1999-2000: MSc (by research) – Division of Infection and Immunity, University of Glasgow.
Title of Thesis: Characterisation of haemolytic bacteria isolated from turbot Scophthalmus maximus (L.) larvae.

EMPLOYMENT HISTORY

June 2001 – Present:

Research Assistant with Dr ---------, Dept. of Cell Biochemistry, Hannah Research Institute, Ayr.
The work of this group focuses mainly on understanding the structure and function of, as well as the regulation of the genes for, the major enzymes involved in fatty acid oxidation.

In addition to providing general molecular biological support for Dr Price, and assisting others in the group where necessary, I have also been given responsibility for a number of sub-projects within the group.

MSc Studentship with Prof. ---------, Division of Infection & Immunity, IBLS, University of Glasgow.

Research focused on characterising haemolytic bacteria in order to identify possible pathogens to larval fish via live feed. Characterisation utilised PCR, RFLP, Sequence analysis, BIOLOG GN carbohydrate analysis, phylogenic analysis, microbiological techniques and bacterial challenge to the turbot larvae.

Voluntary summer student project with Dr --------, Division of Infection & Immunity, IBLS, University of Glasgow. I designed a project aiming to inhibit Bla1 mRNA translation in E. coli using antisense technology

In addition to my MSc research I have three years experience of working in a research laboratory
This has given me experience in a number of general microbiological and molecular biological techniques such as PCR, including primer design, cloning, SDS-PAGE, and western blotting. In addition I have extensive experience of protein expression and purification from E.coli, including HPLC and FPLC. I also have experience in tissue culture, including cell transfection and fluorescence microscopy.
I have also designed and managed my own projects, been involved in supervising both undergraduate and post-graduate students and collaborated with others within the Institute when my expertise has been required.

Publications

Maureen T. Travers, Amanda J. Vallance, Roger A. Clegg, Ross Thomson, Nigel T. Price, Michael C. Barber. Characterisation of an N-terminal variant of acetyl-CoA carboxylase-alpha: expression in human tissues and evolutionary aspects. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2003, 1634 (3) pp97-106.

Price N, van der Leij F, Jackson V, Corstorphine C, Thomson R, Sorensen A, Zammit V. A novel brain-expressed protein related to carnitine palmitoyltransferase I. Genomics. 2002, 80 (4) pp433-42.

Can I just use urs

U still thinking about doing a PHD
vibrio
Banned

7th Dec 04 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kolin
quote:
here is mine

Ross Thomson BSc MSc

18 Ben Vorlich Drive
Darnley
Glasgow
G537PF

0141 home
01292 work
Work r.thomson@

EDUCATION

EMPLOYMENT HISTORY

June 2001 – Present:

Publications

Can I just use urs

U still thinking about doing a PHD

you can use mine but I doubt it will get you any where you want to go. yes applying for a couple the now
Colin

7th Dec 04 at 16:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you going to get your username changed to Dr Vibrio

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » CV's 23 database queries in 0.4543099 seconds