corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » BT 'Capped' Broadband question...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author BT 'Capped' Broadband question...
Tiger

User status: Offline
8th Dec 04 at 20:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

When its capped to 1GB, i this JUST download traffic or is this all the traffic your computer receives like webpages etc?

Cheers.
Dom

8th Dec 04 at 20:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

its download limit, which is everything you download - ie: files, webpages, images etc etc
Tiger

8th Dec 04 at 20:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is it easy to reach that limit? Im going to playing my PS2 through my BB modem quite a lot, will the exchange in data while playing games go towards the limit?
Dom

8th Dec 04 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
Is it easy to reach that limit? Im going to playing my PS2 through my BB modem quite a lot, will the exchange in data while playing games go towards the limit?

is per day, month or what?

if its a day, then no you will be fine You might touch it once or twice

If its per month, then you havnt got a hells in chance you will hit it within a week, less than that

edit - best bet, is to get a second network card in your pc, and run your ps2 through your pc (use a proxy server of some sort) and then run something like dumeter It will tell you how much data is going through your pc (inc that pc)...so you can keep an eye on it etc

[Edited on 08-12-2004 by Dom]
Tiger

8th Dec 04 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its per month
Dom

8th Dec 04 at 20:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Its per month

well then your screwed lad you will hit that in a few days playing your ps2..you might last a week and abit, but thats about it

time to start looking for a different package, as the one you have chosen is for the old farts that just want to check their emails in a blue moon etc
Tiger

8th Dec 04 at 20:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, the other package is still only 15GB per month.....and the top one (30gb per month) isnt really affordable...
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
8th Dec 04 at 20:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1Gb pm doesn't sound a lot - how much is it?
Dom

8th Dec 04 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Well, the other package is still only 15GB per month.....and the top one (30gb per month) isnt really affordable...

who are you going with?
if its ADSL, then there are loads of of ISPs that go on the 1gig a day cap But the majority of ADSL ISPs dont even have caps - and the average price is around 25 quid a month for a 512 connection, with no caps etc.
Dan B

8th Dec 04 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just to give you an idea of how little 1Gb is, a 512kbps ADSL connection downloading at theoretical full speed will complete 1Gb in 4 hours 33 minutes 4 seconds.

Doesn't sound like much, put like that, does it? This is why uncapped is better!
Tiger

8th Dec 04 at 20:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian

Its on offer at the minute, 500kbps and a 1GB per month cap for £15.99 a month
or £25.99 for 500kbps and 15gb cap or £29.99 for 1MB connection and 30gb cap for £29.99 per month.

This is with BT because im in a brand new housing area, BT is the only line in the area....(i know you can use others through the BT line but they are not all PS2 online friendly)

[Edited on 08-12-2004 by Tiger]
Dom

8th Dec 04 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Ian

Its on offer at the minute, 500kbps and a 1GB per month cap for £15.99 a month
or £25.99 for 500kbps and 15gb cap or £29.99 for 1MB connection and 30gb cap for £29.99 per month.

have you signed a 12month contract? because that is really crap mate...no offence, but for 20 quid a month, you can get a 512k ADSL connection from pipex, which is uncapped

edit - if you have a broadband connection, then its PS2 friendly (As long as you own the adaptor thingy)

Tiger

8th Dec 04 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know that you cant use PS2 online with AOL for example, im sure there was a couple more too...this was from a Sony FAQ.
Tiger

8th Dec 04 at 20:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive not signed any contract yet, i might just get the 1MB / 30GB per month connection and be done with it...
Dom

8th Dec 04 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I know that you cant use PS2 online with AOL for example, im sure there was a couple more too...this was from a Sony FAQ.

aye, there are a few, but majority of ISPs will be fine Just use adslguide.org and do a search on isps (you can do a search by price etc) and then just read about them, check out website etc

like i say, pipex are good and they dont use port blocking or anything so PS2 should work

edit - even 30gigs a month is abit shit mate, especially on a 1mb connection. you will go through it quite easierly, especially if you download alot If you havnt signed a contract - abit odd as they usually put you in a 12month contract, then just cancel BT and go with someone else

Dan B

8th Dec 04 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can get an uncapped 1Mbps service for £29.99, probably less if you search around. Don't get a capped service, unless you absolutely know for sure that you're not going to hit the cap.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » BT 'Capped' Broadband question... 23 database queries in 0.0128050 seconds