corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » funny university exam question answer

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author funny university exam question answer
Smiffie

User status: Offline
   16th Dec 04 at 14:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Bit long but def worth a read

The following is supposedly an actual question given on a University of Washington chemistry mid-term.

The answer by one student was so "profound" that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well. Bonus Question:

Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?

Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant.

One student, however, wrote the following: First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different Religions that exist in the world today. Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.

This gives two possibilities: 1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose. 2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over. So which is it? If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman year that, "it will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you, and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number 2 must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over. The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct...leaving only Heaven thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting "Oh my God."

THIS STUDENT RECEIVED THE ONLY "A."

made me chuckle
Robbo

16th Dec 04 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

--Dave--
Banned

16th Dec 04 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Demo

16th Dec 04 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

was it written by paul j?
Black Corsa SRi

16th Dec 04 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Martin

16th Dec 04 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ledge
Jambo

16th Dec 04 at 19:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dav

16th Dec 04 at 19:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Excellent!
bradfincham

16th Dec 04 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wish my exams were like that
Marc

16th Dec 04 at 20:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

old

Smiffie

16th Dec 04 at 20:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

marc had to spoil it
Marc

16th Dec 04 at 20:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Melville

16th Dec 04 at 23:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Coblet

17th Dec 04 at 01:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Smiffie
The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct...leaving only Heaven thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting "Oh my God."

Top bloke

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » funny university exam question answer 23 database queries in 0.0138710 seconds