corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Building A New PC

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Building A New PC
Happy_2008

User status: Offline
16th Apr 05 at 16:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi Guys,
I am rather new to this forum but i would like some advice to the computer i am about to buy as i am going to build this myself. I would like to know whether the parts i am buying would be compatible with one another.

I am planning to buy all my parts from www.overclockers.co.uk!

Intel P4 Prescott 3.0GHz Retail / Abit AI7 / 512MB GeIL Ultra Platinum PC4000 Dual Channel Kit - Bundle (BU-041-OK) £253.62

Arctic Cooling T1 Silentium Silent Midi Tower Case - 350W Seasonic Silent PSU (CA-000-AR) £58.69

LiteOn SOHW-1633SX External Dual Layer 16x DVD±RW ReWriter - Retail (CD-033-LO) £62.27

That is the list soo far so would the motherboard bundle fit onto the tower case??? I am also looking to buy a half decent graphics card with it with a budget of £150 maximum to spend on the graphics card. Would prefer a Nvidia btw. Could someone suggest a decent graphics card from this website

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/nVidia_Graphics_Cards.html

Thanks
Everyone
Dan B

16th Apr 05 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Without actually looking, if you want an nVidia for that kind of price, I'd say a 6600GT, if you can find one...

Although, looking at the spec, you need a more powerful PSU, 400W should be the minimum in any decent gaming machine these days (mine's 600W, which should last a while ). I'd also consider going for 1Gb of RAM, if possible...
Happy_2008

16th Apr 05 at 16:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But are the parts i have there a good option?
Dan B

16th Apr 05 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Personally, I prefer AMD to Pentium, but that's just a matter of personal preference. Decent speed memory, I just think you may need more (but it does depend on what you're actually going to use the machine for). Decent case, but if that's a built-in PSU, you could get one with 400W built in if you look around. Plus, do you really need a dual-layer DVD-ReWriter or would a standard DVD-ReWriter do the job (saving about £40 in the process).
Happy_2008

16th Apr 05 at 16:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would prefer a dual layer dvd so i can copy films etc. Also, most people are advising me to go for the Amd 64bit chips. Never used AMD before.

Dan, do you have any links which you can post for some good cases? Not to confident with building pcs which is why i choose one with a PSU.

Cases without PSU, is it the case of buying a seperate PSU and screwing it on?
Tiesto

16th Apr 05 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id try get an AMD, they seem to run cooler in ones i had over P4's. Also if your gonna be gaming and using photoshop at least up the RAM to 1gb.

Try here for cheap parts too.
www.ebuyer.co.uk

Noticed you dont have a Hardrive nor CPU cooler unless that bundle has it.

[Edited on 16-04-2005 by Tiesto]
Dan B

16th Apr 05 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

www.scan.co.uk

And yes, you buy a case and PSU seperately, and then slot them in place and put the screws in......simple as it sounds.
Happy_2008

17th Apr 05 at 02:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Finally got round to choosing all the parts required for the computer Planning to buy all thise from www.overclockers.co.uk!

Here is the list:

Intel P4 LGA775 530 3.0GHz Retail / Asus P5P800 / 512MB Corsair PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit - Bundle (BU-036-OK) £228.95
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Intel_LGA775.html

Enermax CS-527 Case Black No PSU (CA-018-AN) £35.19
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Enermax.html

Tagan TG480-U01 480W ATX2.0 SLi Compliant Silent PSU (CA-000-TG) £64.57
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Tagan.html

Asus Extreme N6600GT TOP GeForce PCX6600 GT 128MB DDR3 TV-Out/DVI (PCI-Express) & DOOM 3 Bundle - Retail (GX-055-AS) £152.69
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/6600_GT.html

LiteOn SOHW-1673S Dual Layer 16x16 DVD±RW ReWriter - OEM (CD-040-LO) £37.13
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/DVD_RW_Drives.html

The total comes to £519.93
Also, i want to know whether its a good idea to go for the Intel motherboard 775 socket instead of 478??

I have also gone for the Tagan 480 psu , i have also gone for a 6600GT (Pci/Pci Express Slot as opposed to a AGP slot). Are all my items ok in terms of compatibility?

By the way, do these come with IDE cables of do i have to buy them sperately? Also if i need to buy these seperate how many would i need roughly?
Scott F

17th Apr 05 at 10:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IMO pentiums are over priced for what they are you can get much better AMD chips for your money
DAYZEE

17th Apr 05 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That motherboard doesn't have any PCI express connectors, you'll need an AGP card. I'd get a Radeon over an Nvidia.

Depends what you want to do, you could probably save a few quid going for the older 478 technology but its not really worth it. I'd wait for the new 1066Mhz FSB chips and boards if you want the fastest intel chip avaliable, if not, still wait because it will force the price of the 800 Mhz ones down.

But then if your building a games machine and you want it to really shift you need an AMD 64. And more RAM!!

Also theres no hard drive listed, obviously you'll need one, get SATA, it should come with connectors if you buy a retail package, OEM won't. So you'll need cable for that, an IDE for the DVD drive and a cable for a floppy if you installing one.
Skinz

17th Apr 05 at 12:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

iv had nothing but problems with my ati radeon 9800xt i wouldnt buy another, although there clock speed is slightly higher than nvidias flagship card its not worth it for the problems imo.

Examples of problems I have,

Games running any kind of pixel shading i need to drop the clock speed down buy 20hz or so otherwise i get bad blocking.

Java doesnt work correctly, seems to hang, sometimes lock up.

Both of these occur after two rebuilds so its not software related
Andrew

17th Apr 05 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Skinz, it all depends what one you went for. Diffrent comps make them. Mine is a Dabs Value one and i've had no probs.
Skinz

17th Apr 05 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

mines an asus, apparently they set there core clock to twice the speed of otherones just with better cooling this has probably something to do with it.
Happy_2008

18th Apr 05 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So Intel or AMD???

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Building A New PC 23 database queries in 0.0136080 seconds